Author Topic: SDC's 50th Anniversary - 2010  (Read 11976 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
SDC's 50th Anniversary - 2010
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:45:07 PM »
(Admin note: this topic was taken from a different discussion that got off course)

The park should celebrate it definitely. Maybe they used Buzz Saw Falls as a anniversary thing. Didn't it come out in 2000? But it was also just a prototype so who knows.

Maybe for the 50th anniversary they could introduce a whole new festival with a new ride or something. Maybe the splash battle? Of course that will be right after the whole new expansion in 2009 so I doubt that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 06:23:58 PM by shavethewhales »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

SDC's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:25:31 PM »
I hope they do something for their 50th.  BuzzSaw Falls opened in 1999, so I doubt it was to commemorate their 40th.  Maybe it should've been, though.  If they knew from the beginning they were going to close it in 2003 to modify it into something else for 2005 (since it was a prototype) they should have closed it after a year and billed it something like this:  "Come ride BuzzSaw Falls...the world's first Liquid Coaster!  It will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and as such will be here for one year only!  Come one, come all, and come quickly before BuzzSaw Falls is BuzzSawed for good!"  Sorry, I couldn't resist!  ;D

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
SDC's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:13:32 AM »
I wonder if SDC has flirted with putting in a flat ride or water ride in 2009 and delaying the coaster with a  park expansion until 2010.  Now that someone else has pointed out the upcoming anniversary, I would almost like to see a delay.  I am curious if SDC may have some surprising idea for their 50th. . .something much more interesting than a cliche like a ride.  (If anyone from WOF is reading this. . .gimics are a nice starting point.  SDC is one of the few parks that is better than gimics.)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
SDC's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »
Dateline:  Indian Point.  In commemoration of its 50th anniversary, Silver Dollar City announced today that  its name will be changed to Gold Dollar City for one year only.  All customers will be handed 50 Sacagawea dollars upon their entry to the City.  SDCFAns Forum Member Dale has been acknowledged as the brainstorm behind the anniversary name change, and as a result will be the grand marshall in a new parade to celebrate the event.  He will also be awarded $50,000 as a special prize.  SDCFans congratulate Dale for this achievement!

But seriously, how can they acknowledge a 50th anniversary if they're forever stuck in the 1880s?  It's always the same year at Silver Dollar City.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
SDC's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »
50 years of 1880?

I'm sure the park has something grand up their sleeves for this, but I for one hope it doesn't involve pushing any major ride projects back. For the 50th, I envision them doing something big, but not ride-related; something more classic and old-school SDC, like a new section of craftsmen and shops, or a new Shanty-town like area...

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
SDC's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 06:22:09 PM »
Bring back the diving bell, the Greedy Brothers, the original saloon show.  We'd get to see all the things we missed from the past.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 50th Anniversary - 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »
There is something planned, I can tell you that.  Exactly what will have to wait a little longer before it can be disclosed
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 10:11:05 AM »
I'm glad to hear HFE is planning something.  It would be great for part of it to be a new expansion.  I would like the new coaster to be for '09 and the new expansion to be for '10 to commemorate their 50th.  It would be cool to bring back some of the old characters for the anniversary celebration.  Also, I think it would be cool if Jack Herschend did cave tours once a week and if SDC brought back the tours of the park that delved into the park's history.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 10:14:50 AM »
Homecoming at SDC - all the people who've performed or worked can be invited back in costume and character.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 12:04:18 PM »
You know, actress Tess Harper used to work as a street character at SDC... I think it'd be awesome to have her visit the park for the 50th anniversary and share some memories. I always enjoyed watching her on the sadly short-lived series "Christy".

My mom suggested that they should put together a 30-minute film chronicling the history of the park with pictures, video, and music from way back... I think that'd be awesome, though I'm not sure where they'd show it. Maybe in the Carousel Barn or the Red Gold Heritage Hall?

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 07:19:38 PM »
Shoot build a history of the park place with original models and plans and what not that can be on display much like "One Man's Dream" at Disney's Hollywood Studios at WDW
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 08:04:42 PM »
I would love to see them open their archives to the public in some way... I've noticed that almost all the pics in Crystal Payton's "History of SDC" book are credited to the SDC archives. I would LOVE to be able to see the originals or full-size copies of the originals of many of those images, including the park maps.

Maybe they could make one of their buildings into a showcase building with vintage park maps, images, and like you said, models and plans and stuff.

And personally, I'd love to see them do a piano recital down in the Cathedral Room....

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »
I've been thinking about this and I think it would be awesome if they went in this direction for their 50th anniversary. First of all in 2009 I want a new coaster. I don't want any ride plans to be delayed at all.

Part One: For the 50th anniversary, I think they need to open a SDC museum of some type (like some of you have stated). This could offer history, never before seen pictures and designs. It would be an awesome addition to the park. And if HFE didn't want it to be a permenant attaction it could be used in only 2010 for the anniversary or maybe even for only two or three festivals during the year. The prime location for this would be located somewhere on Main Street or in the Midway area, if they wanted to keep it somewhat temporary. (Although they could also house it there permenantly). If they want to make it permenant maybe they could shorten the ThuNderaTion queue some so you don't have to walk back and forth down that long hill and they could put it there.

Part Two: I think they should bring back Rube Dugan's Diving Bell. Almost everyone and their brother wants to see this thing back. Although for a lot of us it wouldn't be "back" it would be there for the first time. They could update the ride to today's ride technology while keeping it the same as it was, and think of how amazing it would be. I don't know where they would put it though is the problem. I don't think they should take out The Lost River because then you'd just be replacing the original ride with the ride that replaced it in the first place! (Did that make sense)? Plus, Lost River is one of the most popular rides in the park and it flows a lot of people through per hour (which is the reason Rube Dugan was taken out in the first place). A lot of people (families mostly) would be mad if they took out the Lost River.

Part Three: For Part Three of the anniversary I think they should do what they need to do with Tom Sawyer's Landing. I would like them to move the balloons and the carousel to the Grand Exposition and turn Tom Sawyer's Landing into a SDC downtown area. Also in this area it would be cool if they could build a new theatre venue and bring back an old beloved SDC show from the past for one more season.

If this was all to happen in 2010 for the 50th think of how great a year that would be! This was an optimistic post in a lot of ways seeing that:
  • This would all cost a LOT of money for one offseason. And seeing that we are supposed to be getting a new coaster in 2009 I can't imagine they'd spend this much money two years in a row.
  • Rube Dugan's Diving Bell has little chance of every coming back.
  • For some reason SDC is sometimes secretive about their history, seeing as we never hear of some things that have happened at the park.

If this were all to happen it'd be like SDC was embracing its history and offering it all to us for that one year. It would be an awesome time to visit the park wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 06:56:31 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 11:45:45 PM »
Keep in mind that SDC did two large caps in a row with PowderKeg followed by Grand Expo.

I want them to call the park GOLDen Dollar City for their GOLDen Anniversary  ;)
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 12:26:39 PM »
I would like to see a new coaster in 2009, and I think it's a good possiblity due to Coaster Con visiting in June next year.

As for the 50th, I think the museum would be really cool.  I don't see them bringing the Diving Bell back, but updating/revamping/redesigning Tom Sawyer's Landing seems like a good possibility.  If they can't bring the Diving Bell back I think it'd be nice to have some ride artifacts in the museum.  How awesome would it be to see artifacts from the Diving Bell, Jim Owen's Float Trip, the Run-Away-Ore-Carts, and BuzzSaw Falls, plus maybe some rejected ride concepts?  Surely they have storage somewhere and they've kept artifacts from these lost rides and concepts.  Artifacts and photos from their archives would make a great part of the museum if they were to do one for their 50th.  It would also be cool to resurrect some of the old shows and characters for that season.  Not to mention resurrect the SDC History Tour, like I've said before.