Author Topic: Trip Planning  (Read 3640 times)

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Trip Planning
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »
I am a very dedicated list maker and generally over pack for any activity.

We are headed to Branson on 06/30 and plan to hit SDC 07/01 and 07/02.  My youngest is finally out of diapers (but I fear the distraction of SDC will cause accidents-oh well) and I am trying to consider ways to take as little as possible into the park with us (other than 2 kids a stroller and husband).

What are your SDC essentials?  What tips do other parents have for streamlining your travel with kids?

My kids are 2 and 4, its not like hauling baby gear, but I still seem to send with way too much in the car, hotel and stroller.
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Planning
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 04:03:13 PM »
well u could put a backpack on the husband!!!! 

NO NO  i meant a backpack on the stroller,  LOL. 

people do that all the time..  Take in your drinks and some munchies  for the kiddies, that will save you some cash.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:41:13 PM »
With NO kids at home (empty nesters) I carry my season pass and some cash for small purchases (food, drink) and GO! I have been lucky to be able to schedule my three visits this year on weekdays and have avoided the heavy crowds. I always try to get to the park early (right around rope drop time) and take advantage of the first two hours or so of light crowds to hit attractions with short or non existent lines. By getting there early, it's nice to stop in the mill and have the breakfast, too. As far as planning...none whatsoever...just enjoy the day as it unfolds.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

spgoad

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
We've got no kids at home either, but on the other end of the spectrum from Junior. :-)

Usually I carry nothing but my wallet and season pass. My wife has a "theme park bag" that she carries. Basically just a smaller over the shoulder kind of bag that can also be a backup. Usually she has a water bottle in there, ponchos for the wet rides, a jacket for the any cool weather (if there is any), and then any smaller purchases made through the day. As far as planning - We usually do none. We just show up and have fun. The exception for us was World Fest this year where we had alot of shows we wanted to see. I had to chart those out to figure out which ones to hit when so we could get in as many as possible.

Hope you have a great trip!
SDC Annual Passholder since 2011. I'm a new guy. :)

2011 SDC Visits: Spring Break Days, World Fest, Bluegrass & BBQ, Southern Gospel Picnic (upcoming!)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »
My advice? Leave the husband at the hotel! That should save on most of the weight, and hassle. ;)

I’m just teasing of course! You really shouldn’t need too much, even with children. The most important thing to keep on you will be a monetary supply so that you can purchase whatever you need at the park, as the need arises.

If there is stuff that you feel you absolutely must take with you, but you don’t want to lug it around all day, then I would suggest renting a locker. That way it is there when you need it, but out of mind when you don’t. Otherwise you could pack a couple of things in a small daypack, or yes even in the stylish fanny pack.

Although water, and hydration is important, you don't necessarily have to bring it with you. There are plenty of water fountains around the park, and of course water is free at all of the food venders.

A small snack, or two would be good. As well as one emergency diaper, and maybe a band-aid, or two just in case. The only thing you really need is to have a great time, which is something you can't pack. ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:41:06 PM by Ozark BBQ »

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »

A small snack, or two would be good. As well as one emergency diaper, and maybe a band-aid, or two just in case. The only thing you really need is to have a great time, which is something you can't pack. ;)

That's my problem, I worry more about packing and planning than relaxing and appreciating. Last night my daughter (whos 4) asked why my notebook was so full.

I have decided that even if something crazy happens, we are only a few minutes from the hotel and I can keep the "emergency supplies" that I normally carry with me in the car.  We do preferred parking so my husband could be to the car in no time ;)

I guess that shows how bad my planning problem is, I even have to plan the fun! 
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »
I bring many things into the park, and it seems I've used everything with one kid or the other.  Always have Band-aids, Neosporin, snacks (like Goldfish), ponchos, change of clothes (youngest), refill mugs, Tylenol, Pepto tablets, sunscreen, camera, Ziploc baggies (for water rides), phone, and wallet.  Right now we're also toting diapers.  It's not that big of deal to bring things in with the stroller, but when my oldest outgrew the stroller, I made here carry some things in a fanny pack if she wanted them--mostly her snacks.  Then I just had a drawstring backpack for carrying the mugs, mostly.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »
""Always have Band-aids, Neosporin, snacks (like Goldfish), ponchos, """

Just wondering, how do you keep the goldfish alive? AND how do you keep the kids from spilling the water out of the fish tank????   LOL

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »
We keep the goldfish alive by getting a straw from one of the vendors and blowing bubbles in the container. We've found that our trusty SDC mugs have lids that fit tight so we transfer the fish to the mug and refill the water until full at the drinking fountains as we come upon them in the park...luckily we don't have to pay the 1.75 to refill the mug at the drinking fountains...
Anyway, on more serious note, with our four kids ranging from 3 to 15 we take our refillable mugs to the park, a backpack with bandaids, triple anti-biotic ointment, wipes, tylenol, kleenax, camera, batteries,etc. We also take a rolling cooler full of sandwiches, pops, bottled water, snacks, etc. After this last trip, we decided it was a good idea to always have an empty water bottle as our three year old decided he needed to use the rest room during the saloon show. Luckily it was dark enough nobody could see us having him go potty in the bottle.
Good luck with your trip saloon girl...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:36:28 PM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan