Author Topic: The Flooded Mine Song  (Read 9753 times)

Nat Kinney

• View Profile
The Flooded Mine Song
« on: June 17, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »
Hello all...

I just discovered this forum and absolutely love it. I started going to SDC with my parents back in the early '70s, but haven't been since 1991 or so (moved out of state etc.). My all time favorite rides were Fire in the Hole, The Flooded Mine, and Rube Dugan's Diving Bell.

I noticed in another post that someone had gotten access to the music played on Fire in the Hole from the park and had it available for download. My question is, does anyone have the theme music from the Flooded Mine? That song still haunts me and I used to love waiting in the queue just to hear that music. If anyone has it I would be eternally grateful.

BTW on a different note...does anyone remember a gunsmith in the park? I seem to recall that I was able to pay a few dollars and actually shoot a blackpowder pistol, or am I completely nuts? Imagine trying to get away with that in a theme park today!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: The Flooded Mine Song
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »
First off, Welcome Nat! Many of your memories are shared by so many on here!

To answer some of your questions....
1. The Only exixting copy of the Flooded Mine song available to the public is on the "Sounds of Silver Dollar City" LP. There is a clip of it on the B side. It was discussed on the following thread:
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=305.msg20289#msg20289
ALSO, at this time there are 3 of them on sale on Ebay right now. (Simply type Sounds of Silver Dollar City into the search on eBay)

2. There in fact was a gunsmith on the park, occupying the same area as the bladesmiths, and for a minimal charge, anyone of age (I think 18) could shoot the black powder rifle at a target next to the gunsmith. This stopped at the latest, about 10 or so years ago.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:19:58 PM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »
Wow, I never realized they charged to shoot the black powder rifles...I think it was free during my time at the park. They had to quit firing a weapon loaded with a bullet because they built a rollercoaster in the woods behind where the target range was. Also, I don't guess they demonstrate or sell black powder guns anymore at all. It's a knife shop now, isn't it? Anyone remember Bruce Grimes, the yodeling gunsmith from the 1979s and 1980s? He used to come into the Vineyard Restaurant each afternoon, drink a grape juice, and yodel for us a bit. He was a talented and nice guy.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:54:27 PM »
Welcome Aboard Nat Kinney!

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the shooting range is still there (just not in use of course). Next to the bladesmiths (former gunsmith).
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
Here's a link to a ringtone for the Flooded Mine song: http://50.silverdollarcity.com/contests-extras/music.aspx
I'm Your Huckleberry

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 06:35:30 PM »
I forgot about the ringtone!!!

Yes the gun range is still there.

Nat Kinney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:47:07 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the help. Oddly enough, I did some deeper snooping around and found this video on YouTube which has the Flooded Mine Music in high quality...fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or04gSRfwjo

You folks on this forum have got me so strung out on Silver Dollar City, I'm going to have to try and get back this summer for the first time in 20 years! I will confess though, the last time I was there it left me a bit hollow...especially with the addition of the goofy targets and pistols in the Flooded Mine. Still, it is a worthwhile ride.

As for the gun range, I can't exactly say what year it was, but I distinctly remember getting to shoot a .44 caliber 1858 Remington revolver (reproduction) as opposed to a rifle. I couldn't have been over 13 or 14 (was a big boy for my age) and dad was with me so maybe I just got lucky.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 09:11:07 AM »
I personaly would love to see the gunsmith come into the city..

BUT i am afraid like so many other crafts it is lost to us all.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »
The guy who produced the video did a great job. I don't know how someone who works there would find time to do this, even though he only works part time!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 12:15:56 AM »

I remember  as a young man (77-87) the sound of shooting from the side of the gunsmith shop.
This did a great deal to carry the theme.  Couldn't they have a packing and loading demonstration?.  I miss the loud booms through the day.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 02:20:52 AM »

I remember  as a young man (77-87) the sound of shooting from the side of the gunsmith shop.
This did a great deal to carry the theme.  Couldn't they have a packing and loading demonstration?.  I miss the loud booms through the day.

The shootouts on Main St. contributed to those booms, too. Not the wimpy loads they carry now for the train robbery, but full black powder blank loads.