Author Topic: Blazing Fury's Finale Neutered - FITH Next?  (Read 18014 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Blazing Fury's Finale Neutered - FITH Next?
« on: May 25, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »
The big water splash down on Blazing Fury has been removed this year and was replaced with simple magnetic breaks. For those of you who aren't familiar with BF, it's almost an identical twin to SDC's Fire-in-the-hole, but with some differences in layout and theming.

This news really did hit me. It isn't always so obvious when a piece of the old uniqueness and originality of the old days of SDC and DW is lost forever like this.

I'm sure the company has it's reasoning for the move, but in the end it just shows they're too cheap to work around the issues with their aging classic attractions. However, they have done extensive work on this ride, FITH, Flooded Mine, and others in recent years, so it's not like they're completely letting the classics fade away, but more and more moves like this will sure lead to it. I just don't get why they couldn't have worked around whatever issue was at play here.

Thoughts?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Blazing Fury's Finale Neutered - FITH Next?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
Let's hope this issue STAYS at Dollywood! Hey, SDC, PLEASE don't mess around with changes like this at FITH!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:38:38 PM »
Sounds like the pencil-pushing, money-crunching accountants & lawyers are at it again.  This was one of the reasons ThuNderaTion was made to face completely forward this year.  I would imagine that magnetic brakes would produce less wear and tear on the ride vehicles when compared to constantly submerging the lower parts of the vehicle in water.  I would also assume that it would be safer and more "fail-proof" to use magnetic brakes then water. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 03:46:12 PM »
I am sure "fail-proof" is their main priority! lawyers???!!!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 04:15:26 PM »
I really really hope not!! Many of my greatest childhood memories at SDC came on Fire in the Hole. Part of its uniqueness would just be gone.

This might not even be in the works here at SDC but PLEASE don't take this away.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »
There's talk on other forums of them adding in new effects to replace the water. That would make up for some of it if it's well done, but it's still not the same.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »
The drive shaft is what’s responsible for lifting the train out of the water and when it breaks the ride is down for a long period of time.  If you can replace this with something that is more reliable would you not?  I understand it is a classic, but in order to keep those classics around you have to modify them some.  They had some great ideas with possible effects at the end of the ride replacing the splash down finish and they were impressive.  Though I am against the change at Thunderation, I am in support of helping these older attractions last.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »
Aslong as they find a way to keep the musty water smell! It is kinda like the blacktop smell...I relate them with certain things at SDC!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:16:31 PM »
Special effects are great, but isn’t the point of the water splash down sort of like “putting out the fire” at the end of the ride? Special effects cannot extinguish a fire!

I am troubled by this news, but I suppose time must go on. Perhaps if the special effects included some type of water spray, or mist system to simulate the splash down that might work.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:24:57 PM »
I would think it would be a priority to include water in the effects to stay close to the original theming, just doing it in a more effective, reliable, and advanced manner.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 07:02:05 AM »
I have a great idea to save the water "smell"  and "splash"........................

Leave it alone!!!!!! ;D

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 08:32:30 AM »
  They had some great ideas with possible effects at the end of the ride replacing the splash down finish and they were impressive. 

Are you able to go into any detail of what this might be?
You have a great past just ahead of you.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »
very interesting. I would agree that there needs to be some sort of water effect

Colby Cox

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I'm your number one fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
The guy who was loading the train told us that they might add a puff of smoke and special effects next year. I agree that the splashes are cool, but I won't go along with you all in saying that it would take away the rides' uniqueness. FITH is a very cool, unique ride, even when there's barely any water, like in the winter. Still, I hope that the water stays, but not if it means less years of FITH.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 08:50:56 AM »
My family & I just returned home from a 4 day trip to Gatlinburg Tn. / Dollywood. I plan on writing a trip review about it later.
As of right now the Finale to Blazing Fury is...well...dry. It felt really odd to go down that final drop and not hit any water.
The last time I rode blazing fury was in 2007, so it was nice to return and try to catch all the differences between it and Fire in the Hole. Speaking of that name, the people running the ride yell out "Fire in the Hole" before the ride begins, thought that was nice. Also while we were in the que-line, i noticed several wooded signs that still had "Silver Dollar City" clearly visable. The que-line makes a little more since in Blazing Fury, and doesn't become caotic like FITH's sometime does. The ride is also a lot more smooth. But that final drop.... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I'll write more about our Dollywood trip later in another thread.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:52:24 AM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.