Author Topic: Rides and Attractions Changing Names  (Read 11843 times)

sdcforever

Re: Rides and Attractions Changing Names
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »
ThuNderaTion is a lot more catchy than Trinitrotoluene.

But you have to admit, that would have been a cool name.

Agreed.  There would've been a lot of questions as to what Trinitrotoluene means, but there's nothing wrong with learning something new at SDC.  :)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »
Does Thunderation really stand for T.N.T? I have heard old prospectors and hill people in movies (The Shepherd of the Hills) use the word in sentences like: What in Thunderation? Not sure where the word come from.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »
Maybe it's just an awesome name.  ::)

Then again, it was SDC's first coaster, so if you ask those who were in charge of it, there's probably a tremendous back-story behind it all. I would love to see some of the concept art/ descriptions of it. Was there a story behind it?

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 07:10:05 PM »
The Gumbo gang is on the loose and word has spread that they have reopened the abandoned old J&P mine (Jack and Pete Herschend, look at the green and gold cars next time it says J&P mine) Join Hard Luck Hank and strike silver before the notorious Gumbo gang.

The coaster was billed as “It’s thrilling for kids, yet smooth-riding enough for the adults.”

Remnants of the Gumbo gang were still there the last time I rode the coaster. When you are going up hill (forwards) look down to your right through the trees you should see the Gumbo gang camped out.

I have the model of the coaster on video at my parents from 1992. I think there was originally plans for another helix just before the lift hill.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:14:05 PM by Copper »

sdcforever

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 09:43:45 PM »
Does Thunderation really stand for T.N.T? I have heard old prospectors and hill people in movies (The Shepherd of the Hills) use the word in sentences like: What in Thunderation? Not sure where the word come from.

I believe Thunderation does stand for TNT (in SDC's case), because it's officially spelled ThuNderaTion, and the caps spell TNT.  Thunderation is also a slang term, that expresses bewilderment, amazement, and confusion (that's the best way I can describe it).  Encarta has a more formal definition.  It says it's an exclamation of annoyance or surprise. 

I was enthralled with ThuNderaTion when it was first announced.  I remember how excited I was to see the model right by the entrance to the park in 1992!  I couldn't believe SDC was putting in a coaster!  I agree with Steve.  It would be fun to hear the backstory, find out how they chose the name, and see the number of sketches and name changes they went through.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »
TNT is also what the mechanics and safety refer to the ride as.   ;)
SWOOSH