Author Topic: Suggestion for a one-time Festival: ACW Sesquicentennial.  (Read 4738 times)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Suggestion for a one-time Festival: ACW Sesquicentennial.
« on: May 20, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »
We're about half a year into the sesquicentennial commemoration of the American Civil War.  SDC should think about doing a one-time (or maybe just for a few years) fest or at least recognition of it.  The period is almost right.  The war had a massive impact on the area--from the battles leading up to and including Wilson's Creek (not to mention Forsythe) to the bushwacking that eventually led to the Baldknobbers--it fits the theme.  Invite reenactors to come and take part.  Maybe revive "For the Glory."  Fire the cannon (and the mortars)!

Speaking of which, does anyone have any history on those pieces?  I looked the 6 lb gun over last weekend but counldn't find any of the usual markings.  I didn't get a chance to look at the Coehorns.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for a one-time Festival: ACW Sesquicentennial.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »
That is an excellent idea!  I've often thought they need to recognize the Civil War in Missouri.  After all, they did have re-enactors set up camp at the Fall Festival at SDC about 3 years ago.  They also used to have the Blue/Gray cannon shoot competition (not with real cannonballs of course). 
I'm Your Huckleberry

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:46:17 PM »
I enjoyed For the Glory, I think it would be a nice change of pace to Heading West

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
great idea mhguy!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »
Civil War soldiers used to do a flag/cannon retreat at the end of the day on park. This may have been one of the skits that Shad Heller used to play "Shellshock" an out of step, infantile soldier who cannot pull himself together and is belittled by his commanding officer...UNTIL...patriotic music is played and the flag starts to lower. Then Shellshock snaps to attention and carries out orders perfectly. This was such a powerful skit that you would laugh until your sides split, then get a lump in your throat and cry as Shellshock shows reverence and respect for the flag. One of Shad's students, say Terry Sanders, could pull this one off. Although I feel sorry for all of you who never saw Shad play this character. I did, and feel lucky to have seen it. SDC has also in the past welcomed reinactors to the park to drill and set up camp...and talk to folks about the Civil War, passing along some living history. This, too, was pretty good.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »
I think this is definitely an intriguing idea. The theme would work well as a stage performance, but better yet as a street skit. Obviously the town square would be the best spot for this type of outdoor show, or “battle.” The troops could walk in formation from the backside of the park, and work their way up to the front.

However, let’s face it, Silver Dollar City is primarily a theme park, and authentic, or historical reenactments I’m sure take a backseat. With that being said, Silver Dollar City is a “living” city so to speak, and this would be a great opportunity for them to return to their roots a bit.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 11:12:50 AM »
1880 = 15 years after the end of the civil war.

The way I see it, men around my age (30+) could talk about there experiences there.
Great way to tie in the educational angle.
I bet Andy would be really interested in something like that.

For a while before my band got started, I was considering joining a reenactment group out of Eastern Oklahoma.

I love the history of the civil war, although I have very strong feelings on the subject.

< Steps on Soapbox for a very brief comment>

Dang, I miss the 10th Amendment

< Steps off Soapbox>

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »
I know that the period is a bit off, but ol' Alf Bolin was killed during the war (1863) . . . .  For that festival, the clock could be set to 186x.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
The City of Forsyth tried to pull of an "ALF BOWLIN DAY" way back about 1981 or 1982. The local citizens were outraged. Alf was seen as a notorious murdering bushwacker. Event organizers claimed they were not glorifying Alf, they were celebrating his death! They even had a mock funeral. The event was held...only that one year. So, if SDC held an Alf day or week, or festival...it would probably not be a good idea. Even though Alf has been made into a comic character on the train ride.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 07:33:27 PM »
i have always said a indian festival would be cool.
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »
POLITICALLY CORRECT: Native American Heritage Festival ;D

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 08:59:42 PM »
They have Native Americans come to the City from time to time to do dance demonstations so that could happen again.  As for the Civil War thing, though I'd love a festival dedicated to it, it's probably more likey they'll do Civil War encampments, etc as part of another festival- hopefully the National Harvest Festival since it needs something.  We had lunch at the bakery last Sunday and I talked to a couple of management people there also having lunch.  I asked them about a Civil War tribute and told them I mentioned it in one of the on-line surveys I took and they said that's the way to make one happen.  Fingers crossed...
I'm Your Huckleberry

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 10:18:33 PM »
Sometime in the past two years, there were a few soldiers set up in an encampment outside of the HH during one of the festivals (I am thinking it was Spring time....).

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 09:06:33 AM »
One of the men from my unit was set up there a couple years ago; he was dispalying his ordnance and cartridge museum/demonstration.