Author Topic: SDC Survey May 2011  (Read 30455 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC Survey May 2011
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2011, 07:22:08 PM »
^Only those administering the survey would know the numbers, and even if we did hear them they wouldn't necessarily indicate which direction the park is leaning towards. There's no telling how much they want to spend and what market they're trying to capture at this point. The park has done exceptionally well the past few years, but from the rumors I've heard we keep almost getting something big that never materializes. I don't know what their game plan is at this point, but the sure don't seem pressured to build any big time thrill rides right now.

I really think the park originally planned for a Euro-fighter on the WB lot, but delayed action due to budget issues caused by both the recession and of the parking boondoogle, and then scrapped the idea when MM didn't turn out to be quite the mass-market hit they expected it to be after spending $17 million on it. The wooden coaster would be a great choice instead of an Euro-fighter though. It'd be more reliable than PK, while hitting a similar market that is obviously pandering for more when you look at PK's lines.

The last few years have been pretty strange as far as additions go, but all the reorganization around and within the park points to them gearing up for major expansions down the road.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2011, 09:20:34 PM »
Thanks for the response. Regardless of whether they put anything in or not for the 2012 season, SDC is still my favorite place to go and am satisfied with it. I love that is has something for the whole family. I'll always love SDC.
Colorado SDC Fan

joecorn

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »
Well, since the Ice House isn't an option, I guess I'll throw in my $0.02 about the presented choices.

I've always wanted a wooden coaster at SDC.  But with that horrific excuse of a theme that doesn't really gel with the rest of the park, I reluctantly gotta go for the moon shot.  I can't stand those rides, but it is most congruent with the rest of the park.  I don't know where they are going to put it, but it's one of the few attractions that I could see fitting in to the space constraints of Midtown should they remove an old treehouse attraction that teases me with its previous glory every time I walk past.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »
I think your going to find many of us disagreeing with about a woodie NOT being theme correct!

A Woodie would be the most obvious option from our point of view.

pintrader

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2011, 12:37:25 PM »
I myself think it would be just as easy to theme a wooden rollercoaster as it would a moon shot.  I don't see them putting a moon shot in Midtown.  Watching a show at the Gazebo and watching people screaming and flying above the skyline would just spoil the whole experience.  It's bad enough trying to listen to the Homestead Pickers while the sound of rollercoasters are off in the distance.

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2011, 06:14:24 PM »
I think your going to find many of us disagreeing with about a woodie NOT being theme correct!

A Woodie would be the most obvious option from our point of view.

Sanddunerider,

You may have misunderstood joecorn. I believe he was saying the woodie's theme (the bull) wouldn't gel with the overall park theme, not the woodie itself. I think we all can agree that a woodie would fit perfectly with the 1880s theme park.

As for the shot tower, I do agree with pintrader  that management wouldnt replace the tree house with the shot tower. (at least I would hope not).  If they do go with a shot tower, I would rather see it over between wildfire and powder keg and not at the old ww location. They could make the theme a continuation of wildfire's theme. This location would make traffic even worse but at least from that location riders wouldn't have views of the highway and the employee parking like they would by GG. 

Anyways, just some of my thoughts. Whatever we get, I hope it is an instant classic.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:15:44 PM by Polley »

joecorn

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2011, 07:51:25 PM »
Yup, I think a woodie is a perfect fit for the park.  I am just very concerned about the proposed theming. 

It is one of those cases where I like the concept, but am scared of the execution.  Up to now, most every attraction fits within the cohesive story the park is trying to tell.  Even GE technically fits.  But the theming described in the survey is almost like they found some kid working the front gate, and put him in charge with his only experience being having a copy of Roller Coaster Tycoon on his laptop.

So, I guess what I am saying is that even though I want to see a wood coaster in the park with everything in me, I would rather NOT see it if it is going to take the overall theme of the park in a different direction.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2011, 10:02:13 PM »
Like I said before, don't worry about the theme or name that came with the description, a lot of the concepts SDC has presented to the public aren't very well fleshed out yet. They just want to gauge interest in a wooden coaster verses the other two options. There's a good reason why all the other attractions at the park fit in so well - they know what they're doing  ;)

Granted, TGS's concept piece was fairly accurate as far as the theme went, but there have been others such as PK's that were just out there. I'm still trying to find PK's old concept pitch, if anyone has it. I remember it sounding a lot more like one of the crazy Thrust Air coasters with huge vertical hills.

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2011, 10:40:21 PM »
Yeah the bull idea just sounds like management attached a name and a quick story to some random woodie picture in order to have a third option.  I bet they have file drawers full of several serious woodie theme ideas from over the years.  I'm sure this isn't the first time they thought about adding a woodie to the park.  :D Hope next year is the year of the woodie for sdc. Honestly, the fact they didn't put much effort in "selling" the 3rd option could be a good indicator for what management is wanting to do for the next major project. They already own a great woodie, it's just down the road from sdc, and they have the room to add it in the park.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:41:51 PM by Polley »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2011, 11:21:43 PM »
Out of all of the options given I am also supporting a rollercoaster (of whichever variety). Silver Dollar City seems to have sprout up a bunch of small footprint gimmicky rides such as the ones in the Grand Exposition. Yes, they serve their purpose, but I am ready for a big boy ride again that takes up a mountain side. ;D

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »
I would prefer us to focus on indoor rides, most Mid-west Park aren’t open in the early spring nor November and December.  SDC is and I think we need to be able to offer more rides for the majority of the season.  They would also come in handy when there is inclement weather and I am sure the employees at FITH would appreciate it too.

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »
First indoor woodie!!!!!  ;D

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2011, 11:02:27 PM »
It's interesting you bring that up Copper because Silver Dollar City could feasibly do another indoor ride. Plus since most of the theme elements will be inside, you could build the building on say an old employee back lot next to the park, and only have to theme one side of the building.

This would be a great space saving move for the city. Similar to how the Grand Exposition used to be an employee parking lot years ago.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »
I dont see an indoor coaster, Because of the shear expense to enclose it!  BUT what a great idea!!

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2011, 06:03:18 PM »
It sure would be nice for management to invest the big $'s to make an amazing modern indoor coaster.  Come on sdc, bring back the ice house idea!!!!  ;)