Author Topic: SDC Survey May 2011  (Read 30693 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: SDC Survey May 2011
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »
I like the theming and concept art of the Shot Tower the best. With that said, i am NOT a fan of "shot towers". I feel that they are just cheap trills.  Of the three, my favorite is the Woodie Coaster minus the theme for it.  If that's what SDC goes with, then i hope they change the theme to something related to the SDC Lake area.  Maybe the greedy bros?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 05:08:48 PM »
Sorry, Greedy Brothers was 1984. It only lasted one season for a reason.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 05:11:22 PM »
Usually the themes for these concept pieces are extremely rough and are only thrown together to get the point across. They only thing I get from "the bull" concept is that it would be part of the Wilson Farm area, which has a nice valley off to the side that could be interesting for a GCII.

I'd be a tad disappointed if they went with the Zamperla launched coaster (Pony Express), as those rides have historically been let-downs so far. The motocoaster versions have been described as fun for what they are, which isn't saying much, and Pony Express at Knotts was forgotten about as soon as it opened because the ride only lasts 4 seconds. I know SDC would put more into it and make it work, but it would definitely be more difficult to pull off than a woodie. I'm kind of wondering if they're looking at this idea due to the success of PK and the age range that they're trying to market to these days. A woodie would appeal to everyone, but the Pony Express style ride seems more geared toward younger kids, and would set them apart from WOF and SFStL, both of whom have installed woodies in the last 5 years.

I'm still pondering why the shot tower is in there. I do think it'd be great to have in the park, but like I said, it would be foolish to try to pass an old S&S double shot off as a major attraction. If they want to do that kind of attraction on a major scale, they need to get a 3 or 4 tower version, maybe with a combo set up instead of just the typical shot and drops.

darienlake

• View Profile
    • Darien Lake Online
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »
The Motocoaster is also at Darien Lake. Which HFE now operates. Maybe once they see how it operates at Darien Lake they will add that to one of their parks

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »
da bull!!!! :o :o

Major Havoc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
I agree with Polley, the Moon Shot has the best concept presentation, but unless SDC is adding something akin to Disney's Tower of Terror (the Orlando version) I have zero interest in this attraction.

The Stagecoaster would be unique to the area, but Zamperla coasters are underwhelming and too short.

That leaves The Bull.  Clearly the best option for thrill fans, but unless some additional narrative elements are added, the end result will be less SDC and more Six Flags/Cedar Fair.  Still, if GCI or the Gravity Group is involved, the layout will be unique and terrain hugging, and the ride will be fast, thrilling, and smooth.

Of the three options listed, The Bull would get my vote.

(M. Havoc - recent SDC convert [2009], and long time lurker, but first time poster - be gentle!).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:45:21 PM by Major Havoc »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 08:46:05 AM »
What about the discussion recently that some big simulation type attraction (like the old diving bell was) was being considered? Anything to a simulation attraction for the park in the near future..say next three years or so?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
The Bull gets my vote as well; although not in love with the name, I would like to see a wooden roller coaster (im assuming that this will go at WW/behind GG).
The stage Coaster seems intreging though; and will it be an indoor or outdoor ride? The description seems vague to me.
I also always liked the Icehouse concept too.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
BRING BACK THE BELL!!!!!

I was too young to appreciate that ride in 1980 the last time I rode it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »
The stage Coaster seems intreging though; and will it be an indoor or outdoor ride? The description seems vague to me.

It would probably look like this: http://rcdb.com/4293.htm?p=22724

Low to the ground, lots of canyon theming, and seats that look like horses which you have to straddle.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »
Do we really need another launched coaster?
SWOOSH

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »
Sorry, Greedy Brothers was 1984. It only lasted one season for a reason.

Actually, the greedy brothers lasted a bit longer then 1984.  If you recall the Greedy Brothers lived on way past '84 in the way of the Greedy Brothers Shanty Town.  That playground didn't close until the mid 1990's. (According to tinaalsgirl from a previous post, it was removed sometime around the '94 season)

Even the diving bell was removed for a reason. So where many other attractions at SDC.  I'm simply stating that it would be great to bring back elements of old themes from the lake area if management chooses to utilize the WW property. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 08:24:32 PM »
No launch coaster, one is enough for sure..

BUT there aint no woody! ;D  We need a woodie ;D  oops that sounded wrong..... ;)

We would like a wooden roller coaster please. ::)   (that's sounds better)

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
BRING BACK THE BELL!!!!!

I was too young to appreciate that ride in 1980 the last time I rode it.

I'm with you! Loved the Bell, remember when you had to help save it by getting the water out by turning the wheels and using the pump thing; oh and help move it through the water to avoid getting hit? Loved helping the captain. Think my sister & I did that 4-5 times a day along with FITH. Of course when the Plunge came in then we had to add that.  :D