Author Topic: Theming  (Read 15300 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Theming
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 06:24:33 PM »
it's a great feature to actually have the live dalmation

The dog's name is Buckets and she belongs to the ride lead.  She is only there on Saturdays.

is the big bubble "aquarium" really supposed to be fed by turning the wheels? 

No, the wheels do nothing to the aquarium.  The bubble pattern is set on a timer that loops

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's one in the old location since Wildfire was introduced.

The wagon wheel was originally located near the Ice House near American Plunge.  Last time I checked there is no longer one there.  It was a "wheel of fortune" then.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 06:27:29 PM by shavethewhales »
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »
I guess that confirms the wheel was relocated to the skillet place on Main.  Thanks.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »

is the big bubble "aquarium" really supposed to be fed by turning the wheels? 

No, the wheels do nothing to the aquarium.  The bubble pattern is set on a timer that loops

So much wasted energy... You know, they could light half the park just by hooking up those wheel to a generator and letting the kids go at em'. As far as I've seen, the fact that the wheels have no effect on the bubbles does nothing to stop them from endlessly going at them.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 06:34:16 PM »
It would be cool to wire the lights inside the queue building to these "generators" and have them dim and brighten depending on how hard the wheels are being turned.  It would contribute to the inventor theme.  Cool idea.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 09:27:12 PM »
One important thing about the theme at SDC that you guys have seemed to overlook is how SDC honors long time employees and important people by naming things after them or making signs and whatnots and whathaveyas with their name on them as decorations.  Two new ones were installed this last year in the PowderKeg load station.

This is much like how Disney honors people with their "windows" on Main Street
SWOOSH

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 11:26:52 PM »
Yah, I think someone posted about that on another post. My friend Uncle Gene’s is on the well near the Homestead.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 12:12:03 AM »
Yeah, aren't some of the gravestones outside FitH bearing names of longtime employees?

Terry Sanders has himself an election campaign poster outside of Mary's Springhouse, near the fountain/waterfall. It even includes his character's name as the campaign manager.

Huh... I could have sworn that I'd seen the wheel of fortune near WF... When would it have been that it was moved?

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcforever

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »
I always wondered that.  I don't care that it does nothing, though.  Even if there's no line I still stop to spin one of the wheels.  It's fun, and I love it when the pressure reaches the max and it fills with bubbles!  ;D

The wagon wheel was originally located near the Ice House near American Plunge.  Last time I checked there is no longer one there.  It was a "wheel of fortune" then.
I miss the wheel of fortune.  :'(  We would make a point to visit it at least once a day when we came to SDC.  We would each take turns and compare fortunes.  I've been inside the Main St. Eatery where it is currently housed and it's just not the same.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »
Mike Hutchinson's (spelling?) "sign" is in Flooded Mine - a gravestone that spins to his name when shot.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 10:04:20 AM »
Huh... I could have sworn that I'd seen the wheel of fortune near WF... When would it have been that it was moved?

Unless it is still there, which I cannot confirm right now, it would have been moved this past season
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 10:06:51 AM »
I used to stand at the Waterclock for long periods of time to watch it work.  I don't think it still has all the movements that it used to.  It used to do more than just tell the current time and establish the 1880s time period.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »

Unless it is still there, which I cannot confirm right now, it would have been moved this past season

Ah, well, then that makes sense. Last time I was at SDC was last April. So, by the time I make it back down there, it'll have been an entire year since I've been there. One can imagine just how anxious I am to be there.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 02:51:46 PM »
I saw the Wheel next to the Duplicating Lathe on opening day.   
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
This is also a really neat theming element that is pretty cool. I bet you guys know exacly where it is though.

EDIT: You may need to click on it. I'm just trying to figure out this Attaching Files thing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 09:31:29 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 11:55:54 AM »
Yes, I've been waiting for a picture of that tree - something I remember from way back.

(I found that I can post full size pics if they're on Photobucket (and probably other services).)