Poll

What new coaster do you want to see for the 2009 season?

Hyper Coaster
0 (0%)
Inverted Coaster
4 (20%)
Gerstlauer’s Euro-fighter
6 (30%)
Wooden Coaster
9 (45%)
Boo, I don’t want a coaster!
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: New Coaster???  (Read 18855 times)

sdcforever

Re: New Coaster???
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »
I guess I didn't think about the fact that if I had entered the park from the entrance by the Waterboggan SDC would have to be pretty crowded.

Still, just to say that I had entered the park through another entrance might make it worth it!  8)

They probably thought you were celebrities or knew the Herschend's, Dale!  I'm guessing you milked it for all it was worth!  :)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 06:14:06 PM »
Speaking of different entrances on Saturday we kind of sorta entered into the park from a different direction. We had to park in the Employee Parking Lot that is right behing the Grand Expo. I'm sure that this was credited to the road construction that is going on. It was actually really cool to see that side of the Grand Expo. I just hope the employees that usually parked in that spot found somewhere else to park.

Oh and the buses we got to ride to the entrance were A LOT nicer!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 02:10:43 PM »
I would like to see a Euro-fighter themed to Marvel Cave because it doesn't take up TOO much space, and brings an enjoyable ride. Also, a woodie would be nice, I mean who doesn't love a good woodie? They are very family friendly, but I can't imagine where they would put a large one. Maybe one the size of Evel Knievel.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 02:38:01 PM »
^Oh there's space for a large one, believe me, there's space for anything and more within SDC's land. If, or rather when, they spring for a wooden coaster, I really do hope it'll be a mid-sized type similar to EK though, as that really is the perfect size for a woodie. Anything larger just breaks down into a painful experience for most of the GP after a couple of years.

Imagine if they dug a big pit, or hollowed out a space in a gully, and just crammed a uber-tight woodie into it, like the Boardwalk Bullet... That's my fantasy for the park, but in reality I think we're in for a G-fighter next. The Herschends are just really into recycling what works - not that that's necessarily bad or anything. I'm just glad they customize everything to the individual park.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 02:40:03 PM »
^Thunderhead worked at Dollywood. I'm also glad everything is customized for each park. It'd suck if we had the exact same thing as Dollywood.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
^Oh there's space for a large one, believe me, there's space for anything and more within SDC's land. If, or rather when, they spring for a wooden coaster, I really do hope it'll be a mid-sized type similar to EK though, as that really is the perfect size for a woodie. Anything larger just breaks down into a painful experience for most of the GP after a couple of years.

Imagine if they dug a big pit, or hollowed out a space in a gully, and just crammed a uber-tight woodie into it, like the Boardwalk Bullet... That's my fantasy for the park, but in reality I think we're in for a G-fighter next. The Herschends are just really into recycling what works - not that that's necessarily bad or anything. I'm just glad they customize everything to the individual park.
Woodies can be pretty noisy, I can't imagine one appearing anywhere in midtown, it would have to be out there a ways. As long as it isn't a G-Fighter themed to Huck Finn lol

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »
Would the Forgotten Crafts area be large enough?  Then Thunderhead could sit as the new centerpiece of a lumberjack area just as it led the way to the development of DW's lumberjack area.  It would put the ride smack in the middle of the other two coasters though.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 08:11:50 PM »
^I just think that it's going to go out beyond the Giant Swing, and maybe be the centerpiece for a new area.  I used to think it'd be going between the Expo and Echo Hollow, but not anymore.  I think that's where they're moving the Skychase Balloons and/or Becky's Carousel.

sdcforever

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 08:31:55 PM »
I visited Screamscape and they have an update from June 26 that distinctly refers to a "multi-attraction project for the 2009 season".  Additionally, they said that there's a small rumor going around about a Gerstlauer coaster for 2009, and that it might be a new custom Spinning Coaster project.  Throughout all of this, they acknowledge the Tom and Huck splash battle ride for next year.  Does anyone know what's going on?  Is there any truth to this, or is someone just blowing hot air? ???

If there is truth to this, where do you think this new coaster will go?  I'm betting out beyond the Giant Swing.  But if it is for next year, then maybe those markers out by the Expo aren't for the Skychase Balloons after all...

Here's a link to Screamscape.  Scroll down to "New Coaster", and you might also scroll further to see "Tom Sawyer's Landing Project":
http://www.screamscape.com/html/silver_dollar_city.htm

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 08:45:18 PM »
^They're called rumors; many of them started here  ::). Lance reports it all, much of it with plenty of skepticism, or at least labeled clearly as rumor unless it has been confirmed by the park. A lot of the stuff on Screamscape's SDC page is from the months of speculation that this would be the year we would get a major coaster based on all the things we heard from the park. (I still think a major coaster was planned for this year, but was pushed back after the market dipped so much, the massive attendance drop is evidence of why they would be scared to go completely all out right now.)

Obviously there will be another coaster eventually, but it's just not happening next year, so don't get your hopes up too high.

sdcforever

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 12:35:08 PM »
While we wait for an official announcement regarding next year's project, I've been pondering the new coaster SDC will hopefully get in 2010 or 2011.  With the last two coasters being heavy on thrills (Wildfire and Powderkeg--I guess you could throw Buzzsaw Falls in there too) I hope they put in a woodie.  Something similar to Worlds of Fun's Prowler (coming in '09) would make me very happy.  No loops or anything, just hills on top of hills.  If they do that they could really take advantage of the terrain and more easily stick with the park's theme when they theme it.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 12:40:35 PM »
I would like to see a woody in Wilson's Farm because it would be tucked away. I wonder about the railroad though. I also wonder how much they are planning to add to Wilson's Farm. A woody could fit with the farm theme and I don't want SDC to have another huge ride come to town.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:41:16 PM by sonthew »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »
What would the theme be - runaway mule?

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 01:09:10 PM »
left the barn doors open and they all got loose!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:38:17 PM by sonthew »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 05:42:45 PM »
Maybe some of Doc Harris' Wildfire got into his feed.