Author Topic: 1960's home movies of SDC  (Read 4319 times)

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
1960's home movies of SDC
« on: March 29, 2008, 11:17:46 AM »
Found a couple of these on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5zDPxUf-Cw&feature=related
This first one from the early 60's is mostly shot on mainstreet but features quick glimpses of the long gone old mill and print shop that later burned in a late 60's fire, as well as the old midown depot under recent obervation elsewhere in the forum! Watch for the map of SDC tacked on the printshop door that comes up in the middle which puts this video before the treehouse and mine. Not to mention parking on the square in front of the hopitality house. Now that's a prime parking spot. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usVlfVQeDp4&feature=related
The second features a short section on SDC  (at 17:17) from a few years later including the slide out of the treehouse mentioned in another thread. Cool 8)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 03:43:46 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: 1960's home movies of SDC
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:51:15 AM »
Whoa, check out the noose in the first video, what a liability...

I had never heard of a fire at SDC, what's the story behind that?

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:13:43 PM »
Ther was once a row of buildings the mill, candle shop, and print shop, on the sight where the new mill and candle shop are now. I believe the fire happened in the late 60's and  started in the candle shop and spread from there but I might very well be wrong on that point. before my time. I know the mill contained a display of antiques including a Reginaphone music box that were destroyed, and it was several years before the new print shop was built. The old mill had a side entrance by the water wheel.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 03:42:44 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
Wow. That was a cool video. Thanks for the link Old Guy.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 10:29:21 PM »
Amazing!  I should have know video like this existed.  SDC needs to get their hands on the original and produce a DVD about its history.

Seeing the cars park right on Main Street, and the dirt street itself is really cool.  I'll have to watch them in their entirety another time, though.

Thanks, O.G.!

(BTW, the print shop appears to have seen its last.  The old presses are now sitting outside the old location, drinking in the rain and sunshine.  The book store which was in that location was moved last season into the stained glass shop beside the railroad crossing, which is now handicapped accessible.  The old location is now an expanded portrait studio.)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating