Author Topic: Future Wet Rides  (Read 9772 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Future Wet Rides
« on: March 27, 2008, 11:11:55 PM »
So I was just browsing through some photos of the River Battle's opening at DW, and I was thinking about the possibility of such an attraction coming to SDC in the near future. It could be a serious possibility, seeing as the what works well at one park always ends up at the other, and the River Battle seems to be a hit at DW.  Besides, it's a solid family/kid-friendly ride that the GP loves.

The only beef I have with it is that the theming on DW's model is really plastic looking, and it really kinda clashes with the Mystery Mine. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it destroys the atmosphere of that area of the park, and I hope they go back over it in the future and make more of a transition between MM and RB.

That's what worries me about one coming to SDC. As the park grows more and more into a basic theme park, it would be very tempting for the management not to just plop one of these by Geyser Gulch somewhere and just throw in a bunch of the same plastic theming. It would kinda work because that area is already getting off the theme of the rest of the park, but it would start a serious trend of apathy from keeping the park set in one solid feel...

Meh, I just hope that if we get one of these, they theme it a little more realistically than RB. If they went with it, one of these could fit in marvelously at SDC, just so long as they don't cheap out.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Future Wet Rides
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »
See I'm the exact opposite.  While the characters look cartoonish, I don't feel that they went cheap on this project.  The themeing is well done and it very cute.  I think adding it to Lake Silver would be a great idea (over by Geyser Gulch) though I would prefer the ride to be more hidden -- perhaps an addition to the lake, but out of sight?
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »
I don't like what I've seen.  I have to agree with you, Steve.  It fits more with Celebration City.  Back in the day, Opryland had some paddleboats that were themed with the Flintstones (I think), but they looked like wooden rafts.  These would fit the theme (even with Huck Finn), but may be a liability.  I think the River Battle is just another watergun fight and would ruin another part of the park for SDC.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:46:38 PM »
^OOH! Paddleboats on Lake Silver would be awesome!!

But back to the point, one of these attractions would do great at SDC either way. It looking plastic isn't going to stop people from riding it is it? It is a great family ride. Which makes me think we WILL get a splash battle in the near future.

But for people like us, we would most likely hate it. Depending, on how it is done. I think if it was kind of hidden well enough and had good theming we wouldn't mind it. I think it would do good back behind Geyser Gulch kind of out of view of the main pathway that leads up to the Waterboggan. Kind of a ride where you'd have to go through the whole Geyser Gulch area to get to. Then I think we wouldn't mind it....or at least I wouldn't.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 06:14:34 PM »
Problem is, there is no room at the back of Geyser Gulch.  You have directly behind the treehouse, the waterboggan, and then right behind it you have the Red Gold Heritage Hall and GE.  If you go back by Splash Harbor you have the train track and the employee parking lot and not to mention the round house and TGS...

Maybe it would fit better over by American Plunge there south of the Main Square in a new area theme to lumber jacks and so on...
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »
^I don't think it would go good over by the American Plunge. For me, that area is too cluttered with rides right now anyway. You have American Plunge, then Wildfire, and then Powderkeg all right there!

If it won't work over by Geyser Gulch then it might work over in the Grand Exposition as sort of a side attraction to the woodie if it went over there. 

OR they could completely remove Splash Harbor and put in the river battle. Granted, it would have to be smaller but those are the only locations I can think of that might work.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 07:53:14 PM »
^Yeah, I don't see Geyser Gulch ever leaving the city. If anything, I can see it getting expanded again soon.

What about right behind the waterboggin finish? If the train tracks were moved into the employee parking lot, there's a huge piece of land there.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 08:00:15 PM »
That could probably work but the problem is is that--I don't really want a splash battle!!

As a future wet ride I think that SDC should do a dark wet ride. Something like Journey to Atlantis, Escape to Pompeii, or Splash Mountain. I wouldn't have a problem with them replacing American Plunge for something like this. American Plunge needs a re-make anyhow. Here's the problem-I would miss American Plunge if they got rid of it but if they just improved it by making it bigger, better themed, and more exciting than that would be a great water ride. I don't think that SDC really needs a new water ride for right now. Do they?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 08:07:05 PM »
Certainly, they're easily the most popular rides in the park, and they only have a few of them. Of course, I'd rather see them invest in other things other than big new rides right now, but a little Splash Battle, if themed realistically, could be pretty amazing. I just don't want to have a bunch of plastic gleam going everywhere.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 09:24:09 PM »
So what would a properly themed SDC splash battle consist of?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 09:36:57 PM »
Take all of River Battle's theming, but make it look like what is found on other Herschend attractions. IE: replace the plasiticy-looking beavers with the bad-A beavers on Topple Tower, the fake trees with more realistic versions, and some of the other randomness on the ride with the likes of what is found on Flooded Mine. I mean think about the Herschend's theming ability; I know it's easier to use the manufacturer's targets, but SDC can do so much better than those.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 10:17:27 PM »
I would love for SDC to consider the season they operate in and build accordingly.  Disney is able to regulate the spash on Splash Mountain, SDC will not be able to regulate the River Battle, this would end up like the Lost River only operating in summer, guys I look forward to the rides during Christmas.  A float ride (Dark PLease) would be a real possibility for a year round ride, they are streaching the season out as far as they can and might think of that when building more rides.   I am all abotu the rides but after 25 years old I didnt care for walking around in wet shoes all day.
I have been to SDC probably 50 times since I was a young boy, 30 years at least, they are straying from the theme, when I was a child employees were not able to wear wristwatched because it wouldnt have been there in the 1800, last time I was there the popcorn cart guy was texting in front of teh customers..maybe I am old fashioned.
THanks for the opertunity to complain.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:36:00 PM by History Buff »

DocSpeleo

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 07:34:33 PM »

I have been to SDC probably 50 times since I was a young boy, 30 years at least, they are straying from the theme, when I was a child employees were not able to wear wrist watch because it wouldn't have been there in the 1800, last time I was there the popcorn cart guy was texting in front of the customers..maybe I am old fashioned.
Thanks for the opportunity to complain.

Well, we do have the same costume theme rules... That Popcorn Cart guy should not have been texting.  Theme is a big concern for me and I often tell employees about their theme breaking... including watches, phones, and SDC cups.. employees even have rules about the cups we drink from... so mhguy77 you're complaint is justified... and not old fashioned..

sdcforever

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 08:20:08 PM »
As for what mhguy77 said about rides during Old Time Christmas, any major ride that is open during that festival is a treat for me.  I don't attend it to ride rides, it's more about the atmosphere and the shows.  Besides, most of the rides, such as the coasters, aren't operational below a certain temperature (usually 40 degrees) so if November and December weather is what it should be most wet and dry rides will be closed anyway.

I'm looking forward to RiverBlast, whenever it's completed, and am hoping for a new coaster sometime in the near future.  I don't believe a major criteria for adding a new ride is whether it will be operational for an entire season.  I think SDC's focus for Old Time Christmas is on the atmosphere and shows, not on the rides.  As for the wish for a dark float ride, don't they already have that with the Flooded Mine?  And it's operational for the entire season.

SteamFreak

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 08:38:01 AM »
Someone mentioned something about SDC not ever taking out gyser gulch or splash harbor, I may be old fashioned  but...GG and SH aren't. To me it's like "you have a great past ahead of you...well except for this plastic thing over here" I dunno, I know a lot of people really like the area, but I sure would like to see something 1880'sy there instead. But that's just the Civil War Reenactor in me wanting  to de-farb everything lol