Author Topic: Worldfest 2011  (Read 5476 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Worldfest 2011
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:43:20 AM »
So Worldfest begins today! Anyone going to the park this week? How about posting photos of Worldfest. Any suggestions on how to see the most special shows if a person only has a day to visit? If I'm lucky, I might have a chance to go next week.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: Worldfest 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:45 AM »
We are going next weekend. I have printed out a schedule and am marking which shows I really want to see and their "priority" to me and just trying to figure out a plan from there. Sorry, that's not much help.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
I'll be there Sunday, opening to close, but I've gotten away from general pictures.  Anymore I'm taking family, group, individual, etc., for people I know, or friends of friends, that contact me in advance about days they'll be there.  Love the candid shots of the kids having a great time!
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
next sunday for me! Real anxious to see the new GAC show. 

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
We are headed down the 15th.  We are hoping it isn't as crowded that day as it is on a normal saturday or sunday. 

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »
I was at World Fest today, opening day.  Nice crowd but not too crowded.  It's a bit overcast today.

Started the day by riding FITH. Saw the first show at the Opera House, Canadian Powerhouse -- very good -- lots of step/tap dancing and fiddle playing.  Did go see the Saloon show and I commented about that in the Not in Miss Mary's Time thread.  Left the Irish show after 15 minutes -- the same people from previous years with a different name of the show and some different music but the same emcee and patter (that's the jokes, folks).  Also went to Mayorov Russian Circus -- entertaining with lots of juggling, acrobatics, and tumbling; the emcee is the guy who is frequently the singer/narrator of the Nativity show at Christmas.  Will go back tomorrow or Saturday to ride more and see other shows.  Food and drink prices have gone up again. 

pintrader

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »
Also went to Mayorov Russian Circus -- entertaining with lots of juggling, acrobatics, and tumbling; the emcee is the guy who is frequently the singer/narrator of the Nativity show at Christmas. 

Sounds like you had a good time biscuitcreek!  I am pretty anxious to see the Mayorov Russian Circus!  With what you are saying it sounds like it is very entertaining and worth watching.  It possibly could be a real kid pleaser or keep them quiet for a few minutes  :).

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »
Thanks for the review, Biscuit! Good to know. Helps me plan what we want to see next week.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 06:38:04 PM »
Yes, great review. i will be there sunday the 17th, will plan on seeing the Powerhouse, 

since it is the same show as the last few years will pass on the saloon show :'(. I was hoping for a new show. Oh well maybe 2012??   LOL!!!!!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »
Went back this morning for more World Fest.  Saw the Russian Academic Band at the Gazebo -- good musical group who plays jazz and American music (Route 66).  They have been at WF for 12 years.  Went to the Trinidad Footprints at the Boatworks -- very entertaining for all ages.  Lots of percussion, a little steel drum, a lot of dancing, some stilts, some fire.  Audience was invited on stage to limbo.  Not only did young kids go up but several teenagers went up and a couple of adults.  Several teenagers in front of us were filiming the show on their cell phones.  Went to the show at the Dockside theater featuring the music and dance of India.  The music is different so the show seems a bit slow at first.  It does pick up and gets very interesting when the dancer comes out.  We skipped the other Dockside show since we've heard Kerry Christiansen, the yodeler on several other occasions.

On Thursday all we rode was FITH, no line at all that day but we saw a line outside of the building most of the time today when we went by.  Today we rode FM, TNT, and the train.  On the train ride you can see several empty Coke coolers lined up out behind one of the buildings.  Half Dollar Holler was packed.  Definitely more people in the park today than Thursday.  Hubby and I wished we'd worn shorts today; if we had we would have rode the wet rides.
It was 91 degrees on our truck thermometer when we left the parking lot at 1:30; it's 88 now.

Souvenir mugs are now 9.99.  Did not see any World Fest mugs.  We saw 50th anniversary mugs and Old Time Christmas mugs available for sale.  Other than the free pork skins, we didn't eat anything in the park.  We did get a couple of frozen lemonade refills.

There were also radio stations with booths set up in front of Cowboy Jepp's on the Square today.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »
NICE!!

sounds like  good trip.  Glad I have 4 mugs already!  entertainment soujnd good, I will also check out the gazebo show when i am there next week.

Did you get any pics?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »
Worldfest pictures posted at my Flickr site:  (Got to go to park Friday & Saturday) April 8 & 9. See trip reviews for my trip review.
                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Baldknobber

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 07:48:19 PM »
I'll be going on the 13th of this month (April). This will be the first of many trips!!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »
We didn't take pictures on this trip -- just didn't want to carry the camera and leave it in a cubbyhole while we were on the rides. 

To be fair I was told by someone on the 1branson.com board that the Irish show improved later on when an Irish tenor came out and sang. 

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 11:43:24 PM »
We leave for our anniversary, kid-free trip in less than 11 hours! Not sure if we will hit World Fest tomorrow afternoon when we get to town or just wait till Friday, but I'm excited! I guess should get to bed soon, huh?  ;D