Author Topic: 1965 SDC Video!  (Read 6309 times)

pintrader

1965 SDC Video!
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »
Saw this on Youtube and thought it was pretty interesting!  Watch for Shad playing in a street skit, Herman the hermit's treehouse and the swinging bridge.  I don't know if it is just the video or the bridge was a lot wider in 1965.  It looks to me it was about twice the width it is today. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYr7fNbli00

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: 1965 SDC Video!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 05:40:08 AM »
great find! thats a old'y alright, i just dig them way pulled up tube socks!! :D
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 05:53:01 AM »
nice,  I like the kids hat!  cool man!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
hey I happen to have way up tube socks! I wear them with my converse and shorts. Drives the husband crazy!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »
Shad Heller is in the role of "Shellshock" in the film. Shellshock was an old Civil War veteran who was out of step with the rest of the "fighting men" in the end of the day flag ceremony. He was a funny old character, who could not march or carry his rifle as well as the others. The commanding officer got up in Shellshock's face and cut him to pieces in front of the other men and the crowd. Shellshock had "a heart of gold" no matter how he was treated by the commanding officer. At the end of the comedy sketch, as the flag was brought down and patriotic music played, Shellshock snapped to attention, carried out his duties perfectly, and showed respect for the flag as it came down for the day. The transformation from the goofy character to the proud patriotic Shellshock was abrupt, and when I saw Shad perform this routine about 1980 it not only made me belly laugh, but at the end, made a tear come to my eye. Shad was a FANTASTIC performer. For a better description of Shad as "Shellshock" I refer those of you with a copy of it to the SHAD biography that was released about 1981. (By the way, the Shellshock performance I saw in 1980 was a special performance...one time only...of the old sketch pictured in the above home movie shot in the 1960s. Back in the 1960's, Shad performed as Shellshock on a regular basis. Shad brought back the character for a photo shoot for the SHAD biography which was being written at the time. Terry Sanders was there, too, and is pictured in some of the shots in the SHAD book.)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:37:04 AM »
That's great!

That was 4-5 years before my first visit. I loved the Main St. skits. The citizens really had the ability to draw people into the act.

I'm so glad to see Terry Wayne here on the forum! He's the last of the old-school citizens, and he still really "gets it"!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:15:46 AM »
here's another'n i just found.. campin & all! boy how things have changed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeVAxz23X2c
Live life like it's the last day!

pintrader

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »
Great find How-dofolks!  That's pretty much how I first remember the park.  Main Street being a little more simpler and being less cluttered and commercialized.  The great view of the lake from the train (and church) is also gone because of the overgrowth.  If we could only go back in time with our digital cameras  :).

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »
If you watch that video at about 2:27 seconds you will see what looks like the courthouse in the passing trees.
This was built in the 70's.  This one is older than the 60's, still a great video.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:43:29 AM »
Nother great find!  thanks!

I cant help but to wonder if that is the same train robbery skit that we see today...!!??  lol

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »
Judging from what I saw in the film it is probably from about 1979. Maybe 1980, but probably '79. (Courthouse Theater new that year, Jim Owens' Float Trip ride still in place as the Plunge would have been in operation if it was 81 or after.) Norm is the guy playing the sheriff, the Swing and Turn Jubilee was playing at the gazebo...that is Greg Becker (Now with the fellows playing on the front porch at McHaffee Homestead) on guitar with Swing and Turn Jubilee. The guy leading the mule appears to be Roger Wealand. He is a former "Dugan" and appeared in the film as if he were working the mule swing that day. The guys at the train robbery did not look familiar. This film probably was made when I was still working in food service. I would transfer to the float trip that August, '79 and would play "Junior" for the first time a couple of weeks later.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
Nice video! It looks like that is the old original train. I believe this video was taken when the train traveled in the opposite direction than it does today.

Shad Heller was one dynamic individual! I enjoyed seeing clips of him playing his famous Shellshock character. :)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »
Nice video! It looks like that is the old original train. I believe this video was taken when the train traveled in the opposite direction than it does today.

The Train traveled in the opposite direction?!?!?!? Wow, never knew that!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

cocodane3

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 09:57:27 AM »
I think for the 50th bday of sdc they should have turned tha train around.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »
They used a smaller train then they do today, and it ran that direction partially because it was easier for the train.Initially, the train robbery was a chance to stop the train so it could build up steam for the trip back to the train station.