Author Topic: Young Christians Weekend.  (Read 16889 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Young Christians Weekend.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »
swoosh!!  details?  details?

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 07:18:57 AM »
During my middle school years, I attended YCW a few times.  My youth leader encouraged us to invite friends who may not be Christians to come.  I'm not saying that a group of young Christians wouldn't be rowdy, but often there are teens present from all backgrounds without a lot of supervision like someone else mentioned.  Some teens who are there would never attend SDC with their families.  Some of those teens haven't been much of anywhere.  Just a thought.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 08:10:55 AM »
lets face it.  bottom line.  100's of teen with a ration of what Probably 50 kids to 1 adult? .. Maybe?

Your going to have problems, regardless who/what they are associated with.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 09:28:05 AM »
hey sure did a number on the queue area for Giant Barn Swing when it opened that weekend for the first time.

I was in the park shortly after that weekend and it was scribbled up, even when they paint over it you can see the depressions.
Honestly I saw that and noted the q and how closed in it was, I think they may have been asking for that. 
Tight spaces with no outside views or stimulation get the beasts restless.

ateam79828592

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »
so.... we are heading to Branson on Saturday.  We would like to hit SDC twice during our stay.  We have never been to SDC (or Branson) before.  We have 3 little ones (almost 6 yr old, 2.5 yr old, & 10 month old).  The park is open Sun, Thur & Fri during the time we are there.  I was going to go Sun & then either Thurs/Fri....should we not go Sun due to YCW crowd?  We would be there from park open (9 am) until early afternoon.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 11:46:44 AM »
What I previously posted here about YCW occurred about 1981. That was 30 years ago. It's an interesting story, and a true one, but I have complete faith in what Zephon said...things like that probably don't occur like they did then. Don't anyone stay away from SDC just because I related a story about what happened so long ago. Go to the park and enjoy yourselves.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

ateam79828592

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 11:49:30 AM »
I'm not worried about behavior issues as much as crowds for YCW....

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 01:29:50 PM »
well 1 thing to consider is the YCW crowd will be teenagers! :P   

Your kids will be more interested in HDH..  oops sorry Half dollar holler, and the grand exposition and maybe grand exposition.  Therefore the crowds as such wont bother the kids and their playing at all on sunday!.
As far as you and the wife are concerned you will be able to ride a lot easier if you wait to ride thurs/friday.
Dont let sunday scare you off! 
where are you staying? motel? we (sdcfans) have a great connection at wwweagleslodgebranson.com
If your doing any shows/attractions in branson try this for compettitve pricing
wwwallaccessbranson.com
Have a great trip, and dont forget to let us know how it went!

ateam79828592

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »

Your kids will be more interested in HDH..  oops sorry Half dollar holler, and the grand exposition and maybe grand exposition.  Therefore the crowds as such wont bother the kids and their playing at all on sunday!.
As far as you and the wife are concerned you will be able to ride a lot easier if you wait to ride thurs/friday.
where are you staying? motel? we (sdcfans) have a great connection at wwweagleslodgebranson.com
wwwallaccessbranson.com

we are staying at Stormy Point Village via my parent's timeshare.  Other than Dixie Stampede, I'm not sure we will be doing any shows.  With the ages of our little ones...shows are kinda hard.  My mom-in-law really wants us to do Sights & Sounds...so maybe DH or myself will do that with my DD6 one afternoon if it works out.

I've looked at Showboat Belle...but not sure if we'd like it or not.  I'm the only one with the SDC season pass...so I think I'm the only one that gets the good discount.

Thanks for the links...I'll check out the attractions one.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »

wwwallaccessbranson.com

we are staying at Stormy Point Village via my parent's timeshare.  Other than Dixie Stampede, I'm not sure we will be doing any shows.  With the ages of our little ones...shows are kinda hard.  My mom-in-law really wants us to do Sights & Sounds...so maybe DH or myself will do that with my DD6 one afternoon if it works out.

I've looked at Showboat Belle...but not sure if we'd like it or not.  I'm the only one with the SDC season pass...so I think I'm the only one that gets the good discount.

Thanks for the links...I'll check out the attractions one.

The youth groups will have to be home Sunday night so I would suspect by mid afternoon it would start thinning out pretty quickly.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »
Not all teenagers are bad kids you guys!!  ::) Just kiddin, I totally understand where you guys are coming from, some kids are just brats and don't respect the great opportunity that YCW could present.

My sister will be able to attend with a friend's youth group and I will ask her what she thought of it all. I think it could be smart if SDC provided well known Christian entertainment on select weekend nights in Echo Hollow. This would provide a good break for the regular Echo Hollow show, increase attendance on those weekends, but also maybe lighten the crowd levels for YCW so it isn't so crazy.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »
showboat is great. it is a little pricey without the season pass discount. I would dare say there would be things to do in town for less money that would be more kid orientated..

couple of freebees that are not "advertised is the fish hatcheries, where u can feed the fish. and the visitors center just south of table rockdam is good for the kids.

you can get discounts on the ducks! thats a great kids ride.

Ask if you want more suggestions, everybody here has their own favorites!

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
I was planning on going this weekend.

But now that I've found out it's Young Christian's Weekend I'm having serious second thoughts.

I'm thinking about cancelling my hotel reservation.

The problem is my wife is having surgery next week -- so we probably won't have another chance to go for several weeks or a month or more.

Also, I'm devoutly non-religious (agnostic). Ex-Catholic, basically.

Extra stuff: we have season passes & my sons are 2 & 5.

Should I still go?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »
If you dont feel like riding rides......

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 02:12:27 PM »
GO!! 

In my opinion your kids are young enough they will not be in the same area as the teenagers!  you will be in  HDH,, GE, GG.  None of the  teenagers should be any where near that area ;D

GO!!   

Enjoy yourself.

When your sife gets back on her feet, then you can plan your 2nd trip!!!

Have Fun, and let us know how the trip went!