Author Topic: Young Christians Weekend.  (Read 16904 times)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Young Christians Weekend.
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
I have never been to YCW but my girls and I are going this year..   I know the lines will be crazy but If we want to make our monthly trip it is going to have to be this weekend.  Anyone else planning on being there?
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Young Christians Weekend.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »
I will be going this weekend

Going to see Sanctus Real @ 3 on Saturday. 

If anyone else is going, you have to call (should have in February) and reserve a wristband to get in to see the shows.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:26:35 PM »
Thinking about blasting down there sunday. have not decided for sure yet. The wife is out of taffy.! LOL
We will be there sunday afternoon if we show up.
catch sunday nite show in town.
stay at eagles lodge
Monday hit fantastic caverns on the way home....

IF we go...  probably wont decide until sat,\ ;D

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »
We are seeing Sanctus Real @ 3 on Saturday as well. 

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
On Sunday we are seeing TENTH AVENUE NORTH at 11am....

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »
When I worked on park we called Young Christians Weekend, "Young Heathens Weekend," because so many parents and church group leaders let the kids roam the park without adult supervision, and kids will be kids, getting themselves into trouble one way or the other. We discussed this on another thread a long time ago, but I worked on the park in the early 80s when the kids bounced up and down on the swinging bridge until a wire broke on it. The bridge did not collapse, but "citizens" got the kids off the bridge and it was closed for several weeks after until repairs could be made. That is just one example. YCW is a crazy time on park. Personally, I'd advoid the weekend, but if you are determined to see the entertainment, which is always good...get there early, spend the whole day, but remember, it will be crowded so take your time and don't get in a rush, anywhere.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 06:35:45 PM »
junior,  I dont remember who posted it and where.. but the statement was made the only time the had something stolen or pickpocket was during the YCW>>  kinda verifies what you said. :-\ :-\

so much for the "christian: aspect??

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »
Sorry guys.  Can a moderator move this to the other thread.  I did not mean to post this here.   Thanks.

Check.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »
junior,  I dont remember who posted it and where.. but the statement was made the only time the had something stolen or pickpocket was during the YCW>>  kinda verifies what you said. :-\ :-\

so much for the "christian: aspect??

I remember reading something like that also, but I thought it was about graffiti.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:15:07 PM »
My 3 teens are going with their church youth group, and I must admit I'm glad I'm not. I love the kids to death, and think it will be a great time to worship and celebrate our faith, but I've also always said there's nothing more obnoxious than a Church youth group.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »
I really think the kids that come to YCW these days are not nearly as rowdy as they were during the time that Junior is talking about.  Yes, they do have a good time, but it's been a long time since I've seen something torn up due to them.  Shoplifting and the like?  Yeah, it happens, but don't think for one minute that it doesn't happen every day the park is open.  And you're 100 times more likely to see adults getting into a fight over something or other than these kids.

Just like with any crowd, 99% of them are good people there to have a good time.  Don't let Junior scare ya.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 09:19:26 PM »
zephon, i am sure that is true.. i was not meaning to say that YCW is the only weekend they have problems.

I forget who, one of us had a camera stolen last fall. I think while riding wildfire.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 10:25:21 PM »
Larsonsix: Yeah, there was a WHOLE bunch of graffiti on the walls in the queue for Wildfire, especially at the front row; the ones with dates were all from YCW last year.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »
I didn't even go to YCW when I was in Youth Group.  I refused to be associated with all of the nastiness that goes on down there that weekend.  I really wanted to take my in laws when they came, but that isn't the impression I want them to leave with.  If they don't like it one time, they won't ever give it another try.  To me, making a monthly trip isn't worth the line cutting, cussing, pushing, and lines that will be there this weekend. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 12:01:37 AM »
LOL... Young Heathens Weekend.  They sure did a number on the queue area for Giant Barn Swing when it opened that weekend for the first time. 
SWOOSH