Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271644 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #375 on: October 14, 2008, 09:28:07 PM »
Sounds like they've changed all the signs to read 'Coming in 2010' already, so I don't think any of my earlier feign hopes will win out. It's really too bad though. Like we've said, they're really going to slip if the market does indeed come up by next summer, and WOF has that new coaster while SDC hasn't had a new ride since 2007.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 16, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »
This is all depressing news. In my opinion, SDC's attendance will suffer even more next year. New waterpark in KC, new roller coaster in KC, no new ride at SDC. The attendance at SDC may go up for SDC during The Old Time Christmas Festival and the market may improve, but I don't think that'll be enough for this project to open in 2009.

Also, how sad is it that we'll be looking at that ugly fence all year next year?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #377 on: October 17, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »
New photos of the hole
<<MiG's SDC UPDATE>>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:46:09 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

mike_kelly87

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 21, 2008, 06:45:18 PM »
Depressing indeed. How about laughing stock... Kee p in mind they are hosting the ACE convention, and with no new coasters?? This will not bode well...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #379 on: October 21, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »
They wanted to add a new coaster by 2009, but I'm glad they pushed it back. As we've discussed, better to wait another two years than to see the park struggle and have to fire long-time employees. As we've discussed, SDC isn't necessarily in the same position that other parks are in right now.

I doubt the Acers will care that there's nothing new. With SDC's food, I'm surprised they don't hold the convention there every year.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 21, 2008, 10:17:30 PM »
I doubt the Acers will care that there's nothing new.

You'd be surprised -- especially since they were touting last year about this time that they were going to add a new coaster.
SWOOSH

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 23, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »
Update...   I talked to my management connection at SDC.  He told me that the River Battle can come off of hold as quickly as it went on.  He said that the real reason for the hold is that it is a Preston & Barbieri ride from Italy and the Euro exchange rate is a mess right now.  That is why the cost has jumped so much.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sdcforever

« Reply #382 on: October 23, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »
^Interesting.  Let's hope things get better soon.  Maybe we'll see a new ride next year after all. :)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 23, 2008, 10:11:48 PM »
Update...   I talked to my management connection at SDC.  He told me that the River Battle can come off of hold as quickly as it went on.  He said that the real reason for the hold is that it is a Preston & Barbieri ride from Italy and the Euro exchange rate is a mess right now.  That is why the cost has jumped so much.

Dude, do we have the same contact or something?  ???  ;D
Yep, I can confirm that story as I heard the same thing the other day.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #384 on: October 23, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »
Preston & Barbieri? Is that what RB at DW is too? I thought we were dealing with Mack.

Good to know I can get my hopes up again, even if they'll only get crushed. It's a lot more fun living in unfounded optimism.  ;D

sdcforever

« Reply #385 on: October 23, 2008, 10:51:05 PM »
Preston & Barbieri? Is that what RB at DW is too? I thought we were dealing with Mack.

I'm pretty sure RB is Preston & Barbieri too.

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 10, 2008, 05:20:02 PM »
Okay i just got registered on this site and i am sooo confused right now because sdc said that this coming year was going to be thier biggest investment to date but i have also heard that it is not coming this year.  someone please fill me in with details or somethen!?!?!

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 10, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
It is confusing.  SDC did say that this year they were going to add something this year that was going to be their biggest investment to date.  They started on that ride but have had to put it on hold because of the Economy.  It sucks but I would rather them wait and do it right than to throw it in and never finish all the special details like they did when they added the Lost River...
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #388 on: November 10, 2008, 07:42:47 PM »
^^From what I've gathered, SDC was originally set to build their own version of Mystery Mine for 2009. This would have cost around $17 million, easily topping the $14 million they spent on Wildfire. However, after Branson traffic started to slip, the park sent out a few surveys about the economy to some of the season pass holders. Apparently they didn't like the results, because just a few months later they started building the Splash Battle instead.

And now, after another few rounds of surveys and yet more slips in Branson tourism and the economy in general, the park is once again scrapping their plans and opting to wait it out for better times.

So we've gone from a huge new coaster to a splash battle and then to nothing in about a year.  :-[

I just hope this strategy pays off. It seems like the smart thing to do, but all the other parks in the state are really ramping up and are actually seeing higher attendance. It's just a really tough time for Branson and SDC as they transition from one crowd to another. The new coaster would have really aided that transition...

DocSpeleo

« Reply #389 on: November 12, 2008, 11:24:47 PM »
Not really on topic in this thread but has anyone seen the 2009 Roller Coaster Calendar available in Barnes and Noble?

It has a month where the Mystery Mine is showcased... pretty cool!