Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271695 times)

DocSpeleo

Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »
I was doing some training at the Flooded Mine and got to ride the train... since I also get to control the crossing.  I was amazed at the extent of the digging back there for the new construction.  I hadn't gone to see it in quite a while.  From the train you get a great view!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #301 on: August 24, 2008, 03:12:48 PM »
I have photos of the area from Saturday.  I'll try to get them online later tonight
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 24, 2008, 07:11:16 PM »
Silver Dollar City Update (8/23)
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/silver/2008/aug23/
Road Project / Culinary Arts School / Tom Sawyer's Landing's "HOLE"
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »
^Thanks for the pics Swoosh. I'm getting excited to get details on the extent of this project. They have so many possibilities on what they could do with this whole area. I hope it is up to the great ole' SDC and Herschend charm.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2008, 02:18:11 PM »
^^Thanks for the pics, Swoosh.  This project is looking more extensive all the time.

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »
I think it's great they are building the splash battle, although it doesn't appeal to me very much.
I hope they really go with the theme with this, and make a whole area of it, not just the splash battle.
It does appeal to families with kids of all ages, but it would of been nice to have something new for ACE.
Oh yeah, I haven't been on here in about a month, but I was at Midnight Madness. Pretty fun, but the turnout
wasn't near what I expected. :-\

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »
Ya'll are welcome for the update.  We just happened to be at the park this past weekend entertaining my "in-laws" (Missy's parents) and I slipped away while they were at a show and took those.

===

Regarding Moonlight Madness, the turnout was lower than what they expected as well.  I would be surprised if we see the event again... however considering that schools are back in session I am not sure what they were expecting considering it was more about the rides than anything else.

===

The River Battle should be a lot of fun and I would think it would be received rather well by the crowds next year.  Rather bummed that the coaster has been put on hold for now, but it is understandable... though the park up the road is having no problem this year getting the crowds in and this is without adding a new attraction as well... and they are adding their coaster next year so....  :-\
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 26, 2008, 09:23:17 PM »
^As you said in an earlier post though, it could just be the economy. At least, that's what I hope it is because if not, people just might not be interested in SDC anymore like they used to be until they come out with something that's big and new.  :-[
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #308 on: August 27, 2008, 01:13:10 PM »
As someone reported, that's why the Herschends were so reluctant to enter the coaster market in the first place.  They correctly prophecied that we would then start to expect bigger and better every year, and the investment would never slow down.

As for all the talk about the economy, let's face it:  it's not so much the economy as it is one isolated part of the economy - gasoline prices.  If those level out and people get used to them, things will pick up, but if they make another quick climb next year, expect attendance to stay low and local.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2008, 04:07:13 PM »
I pointed out to R&D last year that HFEC was treading down a path where people would start expecting new lands every year.  PowderKeg area, Grand Expo, Wilson's Farm -- all 3 were bang bang bang. 

It might have caught up to them...
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #310 on: September 02, 2008, 09:52:59 PM »
Odd how we're pretty much the one park fansite that can carry on conversations about the park into infinity, but the actual big new ride talk fades in and out almost unnoticed.

What's going on there now? It's only been a week, but they seemed to be in the middle of the clearing phase during MIG's last update. I'm finally planning on escaping and running down there sometime within the next few weeks, so I'll try to get a really intense update. Maybe they'll notice my SDCFans T-shirt and let me in on something.  ::)

The announcement must be coming up pretty quick seeing as Adventure Mountain was announced ages ago.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 02, 2008, 10:26:14 PM »
Martha said the announcement would come Mid-October at the earliest.
SWOOSH

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 03, 2008, 09:18:32 PM »
I think it's great they are building the splash battle, although it doesn't appeal to me very much.
I hope they really go with the theme with this, and make a whole area of it, not just the splash battle.
It does appeal to families with kids of all ages, but it would of been nice to have something new for ACE.
Oh yeah, I haven't been on here in about a month, but I was at Midnight Madness. Pretty fun, but the turnout
wasn't near what I expected. :-\
Whoops! I meant Moonlight Madness^^ ;D

I went back to SDC on Sunday.
Everything is still pretty much the same.
There is a hole in the fence which construction is going on behind, about the width of my hand, which a lot of people were peeking through. I took a quick peek, but other than a large hole in the ground, nothing to report :-\

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2008, 02:38:49 PM »
The 2009 project is now open for business.  Finally.  Anybody want to report?

Also, what's this business about the basket shop relocating to the woodcarvers?  Where are the woodcarvers?  What's in the basket shop?  Is the world as we know it coming to an end?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2008, 04:25:06 PM »
Did you mean the 2008 project is officially open for business?  ???
SWOOSH