Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271556 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2008, 12:10:41 PM »
I did find out that if you are a fan of the Treehouse (Huck Finn's Hideaway), you best be making some memories now.

I had heard that too.  I bet we have talked to the same "talking horse" again  ;)
SWOOSH

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »
Hahaha.  I would be so.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »
As I stated in the news article today, I'm thinking the tree house may live again. It just seems like the type of thing that would work great if it were re-built to modern standards, and I can't see them letting it slip away with all this Huck Finn resurgence.

I'm also guessing that they're pretty much slowing it down for now seeing as they can't do a whole lot of vert. construction until they get all of the area clear that they need, and they need to clear out the tree house, a lot of trees ( :'( ), what's left of the old petting zoo, and the rest of the river fort. Are they just going to have to shut the entire area off this winter? Maybe they'll install some sort of make-shift bypass to get to TGS?

sdcforever

« Reply #288 on: August 18, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »
Are they just going to have to shut the entire area off this winter? Maybe they'll install some sort of make-shift bypass to get to TGS?

I don't know about a makeshift bypass.  The only place I could see one would be around Fire in the Hole, and that'd be tough with the train going through there.  Maybe they'll wait until around November/December before shutting off the entire area.  TGS won't operate in temperatures of 40 degrees or lower, and the High-Low Silos won't operate in temperatures of 32 degrees or lower.  Otherwise, if those rides are operating and they shut off the area, people will get cranky.  It'd be annoying to have to walk the long way around past the train, the Flooded Mine, Waterworks Waterboggan, Geyser Gulch, Splash Harbor, and Lost River to get to TGS. :-\

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #289 on: August 18, 2008, 10:48:52 AM »
I doubt that they will close off that entire area, because they have to put Kringle's Krossing somewhere, and it has always gone in the Carousel Barn... unless they decide to put it elsewhere, which they are probably going to have to start doing soon anyway.

I just cannot see them closing down the area to TGS since that is the newest ride at the park.
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #290 on: August 18, 2008, 12:43:39 PM »
^It would be tough to do it.  Now that I think about it, I don't think they'd do it in November if they close it off.  Maybe the last two weeks the park is open if it's going to be consistently below freezing (that means the rides in that area wouldn't be operating).  They'll probably wait to close it off after the season.  It would still give them three solid months to do major construction.  I'm sure they have a plan already in place.  They know what they're doing. :)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
If all they have to do is remove the existing structure, it may be something that can be done in a couple of off days or during the off season.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »
Well, remember how slow construction goes during the winter. It looks like several months, but in reality there's only a few sporadic weeks to work with there. If they're going to knock all this down and build the entire ride plus whatever is going with it, it will probably take them longer than the off season to pull it off. I guess they may run it late into next year though - they could bulldoze everything during the off-season, build a bypass, then take as long as they need during the spring to finish the actual ride up. If they're planning on that though, I wonder why they started so soon...

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2008, 06:45:24 PM »
I think we'll see some construction before the end of the year.  Maybe even quite a bit.  I'm just thinking the bridge above the existing walkway will be either remain as some sort of signage or will be removed during off-hours in a couple of days.  Then the construction on the other side of the walkway will be done during the winter (if anything is to be done there at all - of course all of that could actually stay).

sdcforever

« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2008, 06:48:34 PM »
It'll be a seasonal ride, so they may be planning on it being fully operational sometime in April.  I'm sure they'll want to have the area open for opening day next March.  I agree with History Buff.  They'll take advantage of off days and the times between festivals to get a lot of work done, I think.  I'm sure they want to get as much construction done as possible by December.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #295 on: August 22, 2008, 11:44:27 PM »
Has anyone tried snooping around the maintainence areas? I'll bet there's some theming pieces already set out somewhere - I know they've been testing out water cannons and boat designs for some time. If you ride the train you may see something if you look left near TGS.

Anyone know what's happening on the construction site?

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2008, 01:16:13 PM »
They have Dug out a lot of Dirt.  It looks like the Gandy Dancer Tracks are now gone completely.  They have removed dirt way back behind the old petting zoo area.  I could not get a good look because they had Mid-Town closed for the Moonlight madness.  That ment no Grandfathers mansion. (and I was not happy about that).  But I was amazed how much Dirt has been removed. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #297 on: August 23, 2008, 01:52:58 PM »
That's very good to hear, I was getting concerned from the concept art and from the little amount of dirt that had been moved before that maybe this ride would be smack up against the main walk-way after all. Did you happen to see whether they'd taken down more of the old River Fort?

Man, I don't know if I'll be able to handle seeing the landing without the River Fort. I've been able to withstand most of the change the park has gone through over the last several years, but this is going to be huge.

sdcforever

« Reply #298 on: August 23, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »
^I'm sad to see the river fort go, too.  It's one of the most unique and recognizable structures in the park.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 23, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
I won't be overly sad.  I've always felt TSL was underthemed.  Then again, it wasn't there during my childhood like some of yours; that would make a difference.

Having said this, I hope they (1) don't cheese it up and that they (2) stay to the theme.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:10:40 PM by History Buff »