Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271509 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #255 on: July 29, 2008, 09:36:09 PM »
I think all the ride foundations are out.  They look to be into the dirt with a dump truck ready to move it out - probably into the parking lot fill area.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #256 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10:48 PM »
So what extras does everyone think this project will bring? I've been hoping for some new dry play areas, and maybe even a new version of the ropes. There was some sort of swing contraption that was proposed to go along with TGS during it's early stages, I wonder if they'll bring it back?

God I hope they don't try to bring in more fairway games and try to bill them as extras though. With all the kids in the area I can see how much they would profit from a few games, but it would totally destroy the atmosphere. If they think up some original ideas like the Balloon Toss by TGS I'll be satisfied, but I still think the pig racing thing has to go.

I'm also excited to see what they'll think up for Andyisms, the theme of this area offers so much for that. I really liked what they did for TGS with the pots in the trees, the magic pipe, and the water can fountain.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:12:10 PM by shavethewhales »

DocSpeleo

« Reply #257 on: July 29, 2008, 11:23:18 PM »
zephon is the construction the reason that we got a call to close off a large portion of the park from splash harbor to the corkscrew the other day?

It seems to me it is odd to move stuff in during the day when people are there but i suppose it would cause more interest.....

what do you all think?
Late in kids fest and have splash harbor closed for an hour for construction equipment to move in.....

Personally i think this was the wrong time to start construction.... i mean removing 2 kids rides and a climbing area during kidsfest?  that's crazy?!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:23:59 PM by DocSpeleo »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #258 on: July 29, 2008, 11:28:34 PM »
Looks like they are getting rid of all the old footers for the rope towers and the other rides thus far.  I have a feeling the area is going to be completely whiped clean and I doubt the overhead water feature returns.  I'm almost curious if the corkscrew passage will remain or if the route is re-routed somewhere.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2008, 11:35:22 PM »
The corkscrew must remain.  That's a great shortcut to the area.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2008, 11:45:07 PM »
I couldn't say, Doc.  I wasn't even aware that that area had been closed off for part of the day, but you're right, it does seem odd that they would do that.  But then again, a lot of things they do seem odd to me.  I don't think they're operating heavy equipment during park hours tho, because of the noise and proximity to Dockside and the Saloon.  They have big lights in there to help them work at night.

I'm as much in the dark about what's actually going on there as anybody else.  I really can't see them getting rid of the corkscrew though, as it provides an easy access to the area.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2008, 11:54:22 PM »
The Corkscrew has to remain, as it provides wheelchair access to the lower portions of the park. That's why it's there in the first place as I understand. I'm pretty sure the water features have to remain in some form as well, otherwise there's going to be an empty creek running down past the dockside theatre.

It is getting weird how they're being so blunt about the construction, it's really unlike them. First they close off an entire beloved area without warning, then they start shutting down entire portions of the park for construction. I can see why so many people are getting pissed, but at least they aren't doing heavy work during the day.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »
There are new pictures under the user galleries on the main site to show progress on the three projects now in the works at Silver Dollar City. 

http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?u=23

First, the Culinary and Arts project, as shown, really changes the view at Echo Hollow, looming over it like some kind of southern mansion.  Next, the '09 project at the old Tom Sawyer's Landing is in full swing, but as you can see part of the old climbing nets are still standing (probably only until they can close the foot traffic in the off-season).  Thankfully the work on this project is being done at night, hence the lights.  Finally, the roads and parking lots are shaping up.  Every time we visit, something else pops up, and we're anxious to see the completion of this massive overhaul of the traffic system.  I'd guess the other occupants of Indian Point are even more anxious than we are though.  The signage is closer to becoming a reality, but the parking lots are a mess.  We're just ready to see the paving and striping start.  News articles indicate this project is projected for completion sometime in August, but skeptical observers are still wary of any dedicated date, saying in true Missouri spirit, "Show me."

sdcforever

« Reply #263 on: July 30, 2008, 04:16:01 PM »
The Corkscrew has to remain, as it provides wheelchair access to the lower portions of the park. That's why it's there in the first place as I understand. I'm pretty sure the water features have to remain in some form as well, otherwise there's going to be an empty creek running down past the dockside theatre.

It is getting weird how they're being so blunt about the construction, it's really unlike them. First they close off an entire beloved area without warning, then they start shutting down entire portions of the park for construction. I can see why so many people are getting pissed, but at least they aren't doing heavy work during the day.

It's really a different project, as this is a massive overhaul of an existing area right in the middle of the park.  All of the recent major additions have been on the outer areas of the park.  Since SDC is open until the end of December it doesn't provide much time to do construction (really only two full winter months, January and February) in the off-season.  There's really no practical way to do this without causing some interruptions during park hours. 

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2008, 08:57:27 PM »
Early concept rendering for the new family ride at Tom Sawyer's Landing.  It was going to be called "Shoot the Moon."  Unfortunately, enthusiasm waned for the project when it's cost was found to be a little more than they wanted to spend.

Just kidding of course.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2008, 10:10:27 PM »
Wow.  The concept art really was off!

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
At least they were staying in theme. 

sdcforever

« Reply #267 on: August 02, 2008, 02:02:01 PM »
^^^It's just an update of the enduring scene from "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn".  Instead of Huck helping his friend Jim escape slavery on a raft, they escape on a rocket to the moon.  Hence the title "Shoot the Moon". ;)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 02, 2008, 09:53:54 PM »
Now you're gettin' into it. ;D  The professor was a big help to them, with his fuel and design considerations.  They pieced it together using the tank of an abandoned still and a couple of large pipes that had been used in the draining of the cave after this spring's flooding.  The body of the craft was fashioned from an old train car and the wings and tailfin were cut out of the slate from the pool table they took out of Grandfather's Mansion a couple of years ago.  Then of course, Tom gathered all his friends together to give it a good whitewashing.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 02, 2008, 10:10:38 PM »
OK, Zephon, now I can tell that you're of my ilk.  But I'm pretty sure the felt from the pool table would be used in case they need to come back to the river.  It might get hot coming back down and that felt could act as a blanket to shield the vehicle from the heat.

Wasn't there something to the story about a guy named Rube Dugan, who's engineering marvel, the Diving Bell, was a failure?  I heard the boys salvaged parts of his air-tight cabin for the new venture.

It's amazing how SDC can fit just about anything into the theme!  They've really blown us away with this one.