Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271501 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #240 on: July 22, 2008, 08:19:45 PM »
^Lol, that is funny. I wish you could tell us something about the 50th anniversary. No one can keep secrets these days anyways. Oh well, we wouldn't want you shot...  :D

Back on topic:

It might work over there if they take out the extended outdoor queue for WildFire and put it there.  They never use that queue anyway, so that might work.

That'd work but it'd still look weird to me. The area needs a different ride. How about one of the old shot tower proposals? It'd be another great flat ride and it could be themed as another one of Horatio Harris' wild inventions.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2008, 10:03:52 PM »
^That would be another thrill ride in area full of thrill rides though, which is the point about moving the Ballons there. It would be the start of evening the park out a little more. If they threw in just a couple of other small rides the size of the frog bounce, then they'd have a nice little area up there so families didn't always have to go back and forth.

I did hear at lunch that the Drawings that were sent out in the survey were not the correct ones that were supposed to go out and that they do not match the ideas that they are mulling over... so that was interesting.

I also got to hear some of the ideas about the 50th Anniversary but was sworn to secrecy or i'd be shot on the City Square.

Hmmm, those were wrong? Of course it was just concept art, but I liked what they were going with in them. Hmmm, maybe the Splash Battle will be set to more of a backwoods pond than a riverfront like I originally thought. What was presented in the concept art seemed pretty basic Splash Battle stuff though, I wonder what they have up their sleeves? I know they've been getting a lot of heat about how this will take away so much tradition and replace it with too much annoyance for parents, so I'm more excited than ever to see how they'll mold this whole area to both thrill the kiddies and please the parents (and everyone else). Have they said anything about the announcement date yet? Are they going to drop any more clues?

It's great to hear there's buzz about the 50th anniversary, but don't let us on to anything yet, we all love the speculation.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:05:29 PM by shavethewhales »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 23, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »
^That would be another thrill ride in area full of thrill rides though, which is the point about moving the Ballons there. It would be the start of evening the park out a little more. If they threw in just a couple of other small rides the size of the frog bounce, then they'd have a nice little area up there so families didn't always have to go back and forth.

I see what you're saying but it is a smaller ride that kids might ride instead of the roller coasters. I don't necessarily want more than one small ride in that area though. It doesn't need to become a huge ride area you know? Then you'd feel like you'd left the actualy city and entered just a typical amusement park. If they put two or three more rides over there it'd be Wildfire, Powderkeg, American Plunge, small ride, small ride. It most likely wouldn't flow together as well as the Grand Expo does.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #243 on: July 23, 2008, 12:58:38 PM »
Being shot on the square - ahh, just like the old days!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #244 on: July 23, 2008, 08:13:43 PM »
^Shootings on the square should definitely be part of the 2009 project! ;D

I'm also intrigued what the splash battle will look like.  I liked the concept art, so I wonder how incorrect those drawings are?

DocSpeleo

« Reply #245 on: July 23, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »
History Buff! - - NO shootings on the Square - - at least if I'm the target! lol

I took the Balloon Ride idea to the attractions department and got a few raised eyebrows when I told them we should move them into Marvel Cave! lol
hahaha it was an interesting hallway meeting though. 

When I heard about the concept drawings it sounded like the ones that went out were totally wrong.  Which was odd to me that they would have sent out the wrong drawings but that's what I was told over a lunch of chicken strips & fries.... they were good... come to think of it I'm hungry now!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2008, 10:05:14 PM »
If those images are totally wrong, how are the planning on theming this thing? Maybe it will be more Tom and Huck centered than was portrayed, or maybe they're planning on some side-additives to the ride that will make it even more interactive than previous models...

As long as they aren't going to bring in the shiny plastic-looking stuff I'll be very excited to see how this turns out.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #247 on: July 25, 2008, 08:46:59 PM »
We've got  a lot of new photos of the Landing construction, thanks to History Buff: http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=13

Looks like the area has been pretty well cleared out now. Both rides are gone, and the old play structure is just a scrap of it's former self. I've assumed that they're leaving that much up just so they can support the bridges going across the walkways. Maybe they'll take that down during one of the lulls between festivals, or maybe they'll wait until the off-season. Or maybe they'll recycle it into something new...

It looks like they haven't really touched many of the trees yet, though we've seen how a lot of them were marked for take-out. The old petting zoo barn is probably on the way out soon as well.

I'm ready for vert. construction to start so we can see what this ride/area will actually be like!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 25, 2008, 10:07:15 PM »
I'm ready for vert. construction to start so we can see what this ride/area will actually be like!

That's what I'm thinking! Let's get this thing going! I'm excited to see how they theme this and I'm interested in seeing what they do with the balloons and what becomes of the old carousel/new one. I hope they don't make the Landing a totally new looking place either. It is almost right in the middle of the city so it still has to look rustic like the rest of the city does.

I really want them to fix up the treehouse too or build a new one that is similar to the old. That'd be icing on top of the cake!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:07:48 PM by Coaster »

sdcforever

« Reply #249 on: July 26, 2008, 10:11:57 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the area.  The signage indicates that it is definitely Tom and Huck themed, so I bet the area will be even more strongly themed that way than we originally thought.

I am one of many who sincerely hope the water works remain mostly intact.  I love walking by them on the curly q bridge (as I like to call it).

Next year we'll have to keep an eye out around the park for artifacts from the old Landing (the treehouse, Becky's Carousel, rope tower, etc).  I'm hoping that they'll put some randomly throughout the park like they did with the Gandy Dancer! :D

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2008, 10:57:48 AM »
Hi, I am new to this forum and though I could add to the discussion.  I hve been coming to SDC since 1966 and have seen it change over the years with some things that I liked and didn't like. I wished that Thunderation went under ground more like the original model showed. I like the fact that Buzzsaw Falls became  Powder Keg because it was just a major disappointment for a thrill ride.  I hope that the Tree House becomes something good with the new work going in. I would like them to do something with the water fall behind the Lumbercamp, there just seem to be some potential with this attraction ( unless its port of the air conditioning system). I would like to see the rest of the Jim Owens track be used for a new ride.  I wish the would keep up the special effects that are added to the rides when they open( like Powder Kegs explosions and the gyser at Gyser Gluch.)   
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 29, 2008, 08:08:40 PM »
Some new photos the construction taken 7/26/08--

View from the Corkscrew

View from the Corkscrew

View from the Corkscrew

Steve, if you would prefer I send pictures like this straight to you, rather than post them in a thread, let me know.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2008, 08:10:32 PM »
Some more-----

View from the last tower still standing, by the train tressel

View from same tower

View from the SE corner of the Carousel Barn, about where the little duck pond used to be in the petting zoo

View from the SE corner of the Carousel Barn

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sdcforever

« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2008, 08:24:52 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Zephon!  Wow, they've already broken ground a bit on the project.  Those great pics of the Gandy Dancer tracks you posted in the SDC Memories/Through the Decades thread, I'm glad you got them.  I have a feeling those tracks will be removed (along with the old petting zoo building) once this project really gets off the ground.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:33:41 PM by History Buff »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2008, 09:25:47 PM »
Fantastic shots, Zephon! Thanks for sharing them! As a note, we do have user galleries on the main site now (they should work now), so you can always post photos like these there so that they'll get more exposure and help the site out.

It looks like they're really digging down in the Balloon area, so it looks like the pond will really be that close after all... or maybe they're just digging up the balloon ride's base.

I'm still scratching my head as to how this is going to fit in, I just can't see how they're going to make the area flow around this. One of the things that's interesting is that they're being careful to go around the waterworks at this point, yet the trees around it are marked for removal. I'm sure they'll have to take up the parts of the creek that ran through the Landing, I just hope they put back the troughs in the air - they add a lot of character to the area.