Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271670 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2008, 01:07:26 AM »
We've got a few new photos ourselves here: http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?id=9

Thanks to Docspeleo for the photos.

I'm wondering what will happen to the big water works in the area though. They're pretty cool, so I assume they'll be redone in some way for the new area.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2008, 09:07:49 AM »
Yeah, it would be great if the water works could remain intact.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »
i really dont think this is possible but for the people that work at sdc, are you allowed to keep any small pieces of the landing that are getting torn down such as wood or anything like that....would be pretty cool to own a piece of history..

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2008, 07:57:21 PM »
I don't see the current pastel balloons in the GE area without GE colors.  They should look pretty awesome - and a tad more grown-up - with a paint job.  They may even have longer lines over there.

Of course, something in me was dreaming that they be lowered into Marvel so all of us can get to ride a hot air balloon in the cave.  That would be a better ride than the jeep at Fantastic.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DocSpeleo

« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2008, 08:12:30 PM »
hahaha i didn't even consider that! lol Marvel Cave Balloon Chase.... 300 Stairs down to ride~!

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2008, 05:02:33 PM »
i really dont think this is possible but for the people that work at sdc, are you allowed to keep any small pieces of the landing that are getting torn down such as wood or anything like that....would be pretty cool to own a piece of history..
Long ago I had several things like the old "Worlds Smallest Natural Bridge "sign from the float trip and an old strongbox from the stagecoach ride. All long gone now, but I wish I still had them now!
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2008, 06:45:25 PM »
Wow, just wow. They've gotten a good start so far. I just remembered though, this means what's left of the Gandy Dancer will be torn out! Ah...  ::)

Maybe they'll place them in other parts of the park. I'm sure that there will be plenty of reminders of the old Tom Sawyer's Landing in the new. Ex: Buzz Saw Falls turned Powderkeg
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2008, 06:51:09 PM »
^They kind of already did that with the old Gandy Dancer car planters actually, I just never got a chance to get myself a really good look at the tracks. At least MattsPach was good enough to send us in those photos of it a while back, I need to get them re-uploaded to the site.

Mmmm, It's getting to the point that I find myself wondering what's been done so far on the project during the day. They need a webcam.

Anyone know if the old ropes/wax works/sand station across the path is getting ripped out as well? It seems like they will have to go if the bridges between it and the old play structure are leaving, but I've been wondering if they'll re-work both those structures to be practical play areas again. I know there are plenty of people really disappointed in seeing the ropes go, so maybe the larger course will come back into action?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2008, 06:52:32 PM »
^Isn't the wax area being used for Kidsfest right now or is that all up on the main square?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2008, 09:23:46 PM »
^It appears some people missed this.  ;D

SDC Update
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/silver/2008/jul4

Tom Sawyer Landing Progress
Land Clearing / Flags in Grand Expo
Road Progress
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2008, 12:10:03 AM »
Man, I REALLY can't wait till the details emerge on this project. Many people are getting their panties in a knot over how this may affect the SDC experience, and they don't even belong to this site yet!  ;)

Everyone's really on end about this being just another silly ride in place of what used to be unique attractions, so there's a lot of pressure for this ride and the entire area to really provide the utmost experience that it can. With all the input, complaints and worries the park is getting, I'm sure they're going to load the area with tremendous amounts of unique charm. I hope part of the plan is bringing back the Tree House - maybe they'll rebuild it from the ground up. Mmmmm, the possibilities.

Anyone know when the announcement will come?

sdcforever

« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2008, 09:04:30 AM »
Man, I REALLY can't wait till the details emerge on this project. Many people are getting their panties in a knot over how this may affect the SDC experience, and they don't even belong to this site yet!  ;)

Everyone's really on end about this being just another silly ride in place of what used to be unique attractions, so there's a lot of pressure for this ride and the entire area to really provide the utmost experience that it can. With all the input, complaints and worries the park is getting, I'm sure they're going to load the area with tremendous amounts of unique charm. I hope part of the plan is bringing back the Tree House - maybe they'll rebuild it from the ground up. Mmmmm, the possibilities.

Anyone know when the announcement will come?

I agree.  I can't wait either! ;D  This area is going to be hoppin' next year!  I fully expect a complete overhaul, not just a new splash battle ride.

As for the announcement, here's what it says on SDC's website.  It gives a couple of clues (my emphasis added):

"We can't tell you what it is just quite yet, we're trying to keep the secret as long as we can! But we'll be spilling the beans soon enough, so continue to watch the website for updates throughout the summer."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2008, 10:17:07 AM »
I would imagine that it will be announced during the Harvest Festival just in time for the Season Pass Renewal drive to begin for next year's passes.  That's usually when they announce things
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2008, 06:22:44 PM »
Ok, Docspeleo, it's time for you to do another update since you are closer to the park than I am.
SWOOSH

big cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »
I was at SDC recently and noticed that the Geyser Gulch area was looking pretty run down.  I then got a feeling of WHAT IF  they choose to fix up TS landing first with a shooting water attraction ( Tom and Huck's River Battle)  so they could MAYBE close down a worn out shooting water attraction (Geyser Gulch).  In spring 09 , Tom and Huck's River Battle opens.  That makes Geyser Gulch expendable.  MAYBE in Spring 09 they close off Geyser Gulch to build new rollercoaster at Geyser Gulch  MAYBE (Mystery Mine).  They then have a new coaster for the 50th anniversary and a replacement ride already in place for Geyser Gulch. (River Battle)  This plan refurbishes Tom Sawyers Landing and Geyser Gulch Area the next two years.