Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271593 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »
I heard yesterday from a reputable source that the carousel is going into storage it will not be going up in the Grand Expo....
I hope this means it will be refurbished.  It needs some TLC.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DocSpeleo

« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »
I have a cool idea of getting rid of those balloons and creating a "hot air balloon" chair lift kind of ride to take you from one end of the park to the other and all in what would look like a hot air balloon.. . . wouldn't that be cool? lol

refurbished? it's going into storage to not be used... i doubt any money will go into it.

sdcforever

« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »
I heard yesterday from a reputable source that the carousel is going into storage it will not be going up in the Grand Expo....

:-(

Who's your reputable source?  Is it someone who works at the park?  And by storage, do you mean for good or just for the remainder of the season until they can clear out space for it?

I hope that it's not for good.  The carousel is grounded firmly in the history of the park.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »
I have a cool idea of getting rid of those balloons and creating a "hot air balloon" chair lift kind of ride to take you from one end of the park to the other and all in what would look like a hot air balloon.. . . wouldn't that be cool? lol

Nah, that'd look kind of weird. Although you might be joking I can never tell with you...lol. The balloons need to stay. They are history along with the carousel.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »
Of course there was that "Carousel of Seasons" idea that was promoted at one time.  Maybe that's in the works for a future project.  My daughter's going to be REALLY upset when she sees that her favorite horse, Princess, is being sent to the barn with the other horses on the carousel.  That's her favorite ride.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DocSpeleo

« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2008, 10:03:06 PM »
The source does work at the city.

The carousel is being put into storage for next season but may be back in a later season.

The balloons will be back next season the position just hasn't been settled yet.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »
^^That's what I was thinking of. Thinking about it, I actually can't see SDC setting up that small, worn carousel up again. If they're going to re-introduce such a potentially popular ride back to the park, they'll do it with style. Hence, the carousel of seasons or something similar. It will be a centerpiece somewhere.

As for hopes for a new coaster to be squeezed in for 2009 - forget it. Really, I know we (ehm, I guess it's more like "I") were confident that one was on the way for next year, but either plans changed, we got the wrong tips, or the tips were misheard in the first place. Maybe coaster con'ers are supposed to be excited about this, it certainly has the potential to be a great ride.

I would actually be somewhat irked if they had tried to do both this and a coaster at once. I mean, SDC is a carefully planned out park, and it is much better for doing so. If SDC just started crapping out rides all over the place we'd be just like any other park. I prefer them to take things as slow as they need to so that they can fill out the whole park experience smoothly. I'd rather see them abandon any ride plans for awhile and spruce up the other aspects of the park than ruin the place by going the Dollywood route. (Not that the Dollywood isn't a great park or hasn't benefited from it's new rides, it just isn't SDC).

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2008, 10:12:24 PM »
As for hopes for a new coaster to be squeezed in for 2009 - forget it. Really, I know we (ehm, I guess it's more like "I") were confident that one was on the way for next year, but either plans changed, we got the wrong tips, or the tips were misheard in the first place. Maybe coaster con'ers are supposed to be excited about this, it certainly has the potential to be a great ride.

I would actually be somewhat irked if they had tried to do both this and a coaster at once. I mean, SDC is a carefully planned out park, and it is much better for doing so. If SDC just started crapping out rides all over the place we'd be just like any other park. I prefer them to take things as slow as they need to so that they can fill out the whole park experience smoothly. I'd rather see them abandon any ride plans for awhile and spruce up the other aspects of the park than ruin the place by going the Dollywood route. (Not that the Dollywood isn't a great park or hasn't benefited from it's new rides, it just isn't SDC).

You made some really good points. I also don't want to go the Dollywood route but man, I wanted a new coaster so bad. But, SDC will be better for it. Doesn't mean I won't be disappointed but still...

Oh well...time to look forward to this new ride of ours!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »
Yeah - this would be a great diversion from their real plans.  Tom and Huck were always pulling schemes like this on people, so why wouldn't the Herschends?

I'm with you on the side games and junk that would take away from the ambience, and I'd like to see some characters in the area too.  They'd have to do a huge search to find adults who look like kids to play Tom and Huck, but I could sure see an Aunt Polly in there somewhere.  After all, she does have a chicken restaurant on the property, so she could take some time off from there to wreak havoc on children in the Landing.

I still think this is a huge traffic area, so I hope there will be some relief for that problem in the works, as well.

About how we were all focused on a new coaster for next year, and Dale's comment above about Tom and Huck always pulling schemes on people, so why wouldn't the Herschends...I have a feeling we were had!  Misled!  Tricked!  Bamboozled!  I mean HFE telling a group of coaster enthusiasts that '09 will be their biggest capital investment to date, so we assumed it would be a coaster (as they probably hoped we would).  Then we find little clues and rumors along the way to further our beliefs that it will be a coaster.  Now we find out it's a splash battle ride themed to Tom and Huck to stay true to the Landing's theme.  It's almost like HFE were scheming like Tom and Huck to get us to believe it would be a coaster, then we find out their new ride is a Tom and Huck themed ride, but not a coaster.  I just think that's really ironic! ;)  And I have no problem with it not being what I've been expecting.  It's much more fun to expect one thing, then get something completely different, especially when it comes to SDC and new attractions.

I'm excited for the new ride!  And I really believe this will be their largest capital investment yet, because I think the whole Landing area is going to get a major facelift.  This splash battle ride will be the centerpiece, with everything else themed around it.  Which is really exciting!  I mean, we've all been talking for a while about how the Landing needs to be refurbished.  This is the beginning of something really good for the park, and us, the guests!  And even more exciting, the Landing keeps the Tom and Huck theme.  I think HFE is going all out with this massive project, and we won't be disappointed! ;D

sdcforever

« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »

I agree.  I really don't think they'll try to do a coaster as well for '09.  They plan more carefully when adding new attractions, plus their hands are full right now as it is.  They're working on the splash battle ride (not to mention whatever else they have in store for the Landing), the Culinary & Craft School, and the parking lot and road projects.  I really don't think they want another construction project right now.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2008, 11:12:41 PM »

About how we were all focused on a new coaster for next year, and Dale's comment above about Tom and Huck always pulling schemes on people, so why wouldn't the Herschends...I have a feeling we were had!  Misled!  Tricked!  Bamboozled!  I mean HFE telling a group of coaster enthusiasts that '09 will be their biggest capital investment to date, so we assumed it would be a coaster (as they probably hoped we would).  Then we find little clues and rumors along the way to further our beliefs that it will be a coaster.  Now we find out it's a splash battle ride themed to Tom and Huck to stay true to the Landing's theme.  It's almost like HFE were scheming like Tom and Huck to get us to believe it would be a coaster, then we find out their new ride is a Tom and Huck themed ride, but not a coaster.  I just think that's really ironic! ;)  And I have no problem with it not being what I've been expecting.  It's much more fun to expect one thing, then get something completely different, especially when it comes to SDC and new attractions.

I wouldn't go there. What makes you think SDC would go through the effort of subtly tricking the total of maybe 50 fans who actually pay attention to the park closely enough into thinking they were planning a coaster, then shatter their hopes? Even if there was a larger following it wouldn't make sense. ::)

I'm getting really pepped up for this ride though; I don't really care about the ride itself, but everything that I hope will come with it has piqued my interest. Like I've said before, this can be pulled off so well, and they're off to such a great start by staying so true to the Tom and Huck theme. I really think this whole area is going to get such a really high quality, disney-style makeover that it no one will even remember what it was like before.

I'm ready to see some construction, has anything new happened at the site yet? It hasn't even been 4 days since the last shots, but meh.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »
My thinking, as a nostalgic old fan, is that the next coaster, whether '09 or later, needs to be a woodie. The modern steel loops and corkscrews are fun, but they could fit at Six Flags just as well as SDC.

The exception is Thunderation, which fits the theme very well (and is a good coaster, just not extreme). One thing that's scary (good scary) about TNT is when you break over the top of the lift, and bank before gaining any speed. It feels like you're about to tip over sideways, then whooooosh, down you go!

sdcforever

« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2008, 08:27:42 PM »
We just keep going around and around with this coaster idea for next year.  Does anyone know what's going on?  I visited Screamscape and they have an update from June 26 that distinctly refers to a "multi-attraction project for the 2009 season".  Additionally, they said that there's a small rumor going around about a Gerstlauer coaster for 2009, and that it might be a new custom Spinning Coaster project.  Throughout all of this, they acknowledge the Tom and Huck splash battle ride for next year.  I repeat, does anyone know what's going on?  Is there any truth to this, or is someone just blowing hot air? ???

Here's a link to the site.  Scroll down to "New Coaster" and then "Tom Sawyer's Landing Project":
http://www.screamscape.com/html/silver_dollar_city.htm

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2008, 08:47:20 PM »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2008, 01:23:04 PM »
They'd have to do a huge search to find adults who look like kids to play Tom and Huck, but I could sure see an Aunt Polly in there somewhere.

If they want a Becky Thatcher, I've already been sketching costume designs and trying to work on my Ozarkian twang. :D

~ "Becky" Joy ~