Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 273490 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2008, 10:34:08 AM »
^Yeah I understand all that. I guess I should've been more specific. When will we actually be able to tell that they are building? My guess would be around October or maybe even September. Could be later though...
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2008, 12:36:08 PM »
Traditionally they have been pretty good at masking the physical evidence of any building activity.  I know it's a smaller project, but just look at how everyone couldn't figure out the location of TGS.  The Culinary School is kind of an anomoly, sitting there in its unfinished splendor, a constant reminder that we're still waiting to get finished.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2008, 01:27:55 PM »
If it's as big a project as we all are assuming, they'll have to start intesive work before the season is up, and I'm fairly certain there will be signs and work in the months before that. It may be covered up, but surely one of us will notice a few trees disappearing, or surveyors working in some back corner of the park.

I mean, Mystery Mine took months to build, and anything like that at SDC will take just as long due to the earthwork that will be required just to get the land ready to build on. Even in the case of a wooden coaster, there will be land and trees to clear and move. So it can't be long now.

What I'm really wondering right now is whether or not they'll do teaser campaign. I really loved the whole set-up they did for MM, with the video clips and website - surely SDC's would be even better. In fact, maybe they'll announce the ride before we see any major work.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2008, 12:43:06 AM »
From what some of you guys have said elsewhere, it sounds like they've started work on the 09' project smack dab in the middle of the Landing. Is this conclusive evidence that we'll be getting a G-Fighter? I don't see a woodie fitting in there... then again, I don't really see a big G-Fighter sliding in either, but anything can happen. Hell, maybe we're in for something totally different, surely we'll find out pretty soon.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2008, 07:11:01 AM »
Hmmm...I'll be at the park tomorrow so I'll see if I can get any pics of the closed off area. This could also mean that the Balloon Chase and the carousel are moving to the Grand Expo.

sdcforever

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2008, 08:16:38 AM »
^I just checked out the online map for SDC, and right where the fenced off area will be (Tom Sawyer's Landing) is a big yellow bubble that declares "New Ride Coming in '09!" :D

Here's a link to SDC's site.  Just click on "Silver Dollar City Map" and it'll open as a .pdf file:
http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/schedules-brochures/detail.aspx?id=15

This seems to confirm that the Landing will be getting a major facelift in the next few years, perhaps including a new coaster next year and new water ride in 2010 or later.

Also, how much were SDC citizen's pulling our legs when they told us this?
When I was there last weekend I asked about the new Coaster.  I was told it is a woodie and is going in the Grand Expo.  They are putting it between the ladybug and frog area and Echo Hollow.  I asked several people and they all said the same thing.  I also asked about Tom Sawyers landing and was told it will be revamped but will stay a kiddie area.  They said the developers have been in that area measuring a lot.
Quite a bit maybe?  What about the new area they hinted was going in behind the Giant Swing with the robbery ending in the next two years and a second train depot being added?  Does this news throw all of that in doubt?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:25:59 AM by sdcforever »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2008, 11:03:24 AM »
^Interesting. That really makes this post by Dale (History Buff) more logical:

I don't see a coaster going into the area at TS Landing.  It would be too loud and too conspicuous.  Also there is a lot of traffic and congestion there already.  I think this is where this Tom and Huck ride is going.  Maybe this is why we only have the still-unfinished Culinary Arts School for this year.  Were they saving to put in two new features next year, and then spend a couple of years billing them as "Still New in 2010 and 2011"?  I don't know, but if I ran the world...

For Tom Sawyer's Landing to stay a kiddie area they would put the proposed River Battle in the Landing. Two rides in one year? The woodie would go over in the Grand Expo. Future expansion in the Giant Swing area of the park would still be possible as oklaSDCfan said.

This is all so fun to speculate and talk about!

sdcforever

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »
All this speculatin' is making my head spin!  Maybe the Tom and Huck ride is going in next year...but I find that hard to believe.  It's a little late to be doing a ride concept survey for something when you're already starting construction.  HFE will really have to rush to get a final design approved and get it ready for next year.

On the other hand, that area where the new ride is going in looks too small for a hyper coaster.

Then again, they promised Coaster Con the largest capital investment to date for next year.  Would they offer Coaster Con attendees a pretty much run-of-the-mill river battle ride (a close version of which just opened last year at Dollywood, another HFE property)?  (I'm not knocking the ride.  I know it'll be fun, but Coaster Con people really like riding, well, coasters.  And pretty unique coasters at that).

I'm a little bummed at this.  We've all been talking about a coaster, and it might be pretty much the same ride that just opened a couple of months ago at Dollywood.  I feel a little underwhelmed.  I was hoping for something unique.  I'll be disappointed if HFE announces that Tom and Huck ride for next year.  There'll be a lot of fanfare, with HFE reps hoping no one will notice that this is pretty much the same ride that opened at Dollywood earlier this year.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »
I think we're getting more than the River Battle this year. I wouldn't think it'd cost that much and they promised the largest capital investment. We're getting a new coaster, I'm almost sure of it....I hope.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2008, 12:59:10 PM »
In the ride concept thread I ended a post by speculating that a wood roller coaster and a river battle would be too large an investment during the down turn in the economy.  After thinking about it for a little bit; isn't there some kind of stimulus/tax break for companies at this time to invest in new equipment/construction.  Maybe they are going to pull the double whammy and add both.  It is just my opinion, but that would put Silver Dollar City as a top destination for Midwesterners.  I just hope if a coaster comes soon that it opens up the park a little to ease the congestion.  They have to be planning on larger crowds with the new road construction and larger parking lot.

The River Battle ride built smack dab in the middle of the landing would definitley throw off speculation of a woodie. (until turkey's like me start speculating wildly)  8)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2008, 01:27:32 PM »
^there is supposedly a new woodie going into a park in Missouri next year, but not SDC  ;)
SWOOSH

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2008, 05:33:03 PM »
^ I know where this is  ;)
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2008, 07:50:55 PM »
^Sigh..., I think we all do now.  ::) Oh well, it'll give GCII that much more practice before they come to SDC.

Hmmm, I've been thinking that maybe SDC has delayed their earlier decisions. I could certainly understand them wanting to wait a year in apprehension of a falling economy, then kicking out the big coaster for the 50th celebration. I mean, honestly, a splash battle will probably attract a larger and more freely-spending crowd than a big new scary coaster, though the latter provides a lot more free press.

Like I mentioned in another thread, a good source informed me that a Splash Battle would be coming next year to SDC, and obviously they've already started work on it. There's always a chance the source is wrong and that this is a coaster after all, but... we'll certainly find out soon. If it is a splash battle, why did they start work now? Maybe they're trying to get the ride itself done early so that they can use the short off season to work on the rest of the Landing? What else is coming down in the Landing and do we know what will be saved and where it will end up?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2008, 08:00:04 PM »
I just find it weird that there wouldn't be a new coaster for next year considering that SDC is main host park for Coaster Con next year.  You don't save a coaster for the following year when you have that much free publicity knocking at your door.  Coaster Con is a BIG thing -- there will literally be HUNDREDS of people brought in for this event.  Word of mouth is the biggest/best advertising method there is.
SWOOSH

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2008, 09:19:24 PM »
^ couldnt agree more. i will be pretty upset if its not a coaster, but it would be cool if they updated the landing area......just not 2009 please