Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271533 times)

sdcforever

Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 09:33:25 AM »
I would hope not, I'm having way too much fun with this.

I agree this is fun, but part of me is anxious to know.  I will enjoy speculating with y'all for another six months!  :D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 09:42:10 PM »
So I've been researching a bit around lately, and it looks like DW is pretty well pleased with Mystery Mine. It's a definite crowd hit, and though some complain about a little roughness, you have to admit that it looks like something Disney would have done. That being said, a MM variation looks ever more likely as being the big 2009 ride. A wooden coaster is still very possible, but from a speculative stand point, Powderkeg has hit the crowd a wooden coaster would appeal to, so maybe they want to go in more of the extreme thrills route right now and garner some big press. Then again, maybe the success of Powderkeg has made them decide to pull off the same kind of stunt again...

Anyway, it's been awhile since we talked about it, but my preferences are still leaning toward a wooden coaster. A GCII twister such as Thunderhead would be sweet, but if I would want SDC to utilize their terrain more and go more of the boulderdash route - maybe with a few crazy curves thrown in as well.

sdcforever

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2008, 08:50:24 AM »
I also would like a wooden coaster, and I've been thinking how great it would be for them to utilize the terrain.  That alone would allow for some great twists and curves!  I believe they utilized the terrain with Thunderation (correct me if I'm wrong) and it really worked to the ride's advantage.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2008, 08:59:05 AM »
To be honest, I wasn't very impressed by Thunderation this week. It's definitely becoming very rickety; throws you around a good bit. So a nice, shiny new wooden coaster would definitely be cool to get.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcforever

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2008, 09:17:20 AM »
To be honest, I wasn't very impressed by Thunderation this week. It's definitely becoming very rickety; throws you around a good bit. So a nice, shiny new wooden coaster would definitely be cool to get.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

I noticed that in late November of last season.  TNT could use a little TLC.  :)

Did you see any markers Wednesday around the Expo or The Giant Swing like was talked about earlier in this thread?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »
To be honest, I completely forgot to look for markers. But then again, we didn't end up going into the Expo area, and I didn't see anything near the Giant Swing (but of course, I really wasn't looking).

~ "Becky" Joy ~

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »
When I was there last weekend I asked about the new Coaster.  I was told it is a woodie and is going in the Grand Expo.  They are putting it between the ladybug and frog area and Echo Hollow.  I asked several people and they all said the same thing.  I also asked about Tom Sawyers landing and was told it will be revamped but will stay a kiddie area.  They said the developers have been in that area measuring a lot.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sdcforever

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »
^OklaSDCfan, in your post in the General SDC & CC Talk on the Frisco Silver Dollar Line you mentioned that the robbery will end in the next two years because the new area is going in there behind the Giant Swing.  You also said they'll build a new depot for the new area and the train will be a mode of transportation between the new area and the rest of the park (the robbery won't be needed to build up steam since the train can do it at the new depot).

This is interesting news.  It sounds like the coaster will be themed to the Grand Expo and will be for 2009.  While the new area will open in 2010 (maybe later?).  I wonder what the new area will include?  (Maybe we should already start a topic for SDC's 2010 Project. :))

I'm also excited to hear that Tom Sawyer's Landing is going to be revamped and stay a kiddie area!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:23:11 PM by sdcforever »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »
So it is confirmed we are getting a new wooden coaster then? That is interesting and exciting!!!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
When I was there last weekend I asked about the new Coaster.  I was told it is a woodie and is going in the Grand Expo.  They are putting it between the ladybug and frog area and Echo Hollow.  I asked several people and they all said the same thing.  I also asked about Tom Sawyers landing and was told it will be revamped but will stay a kiddie area.  They said the developers have been in that area measuring a lot.

Mmmmm, I'm not so sure about this. Surely the employees aren't just telling everyone what's coming like this? It seemed to me that SDC always kept more of a tight lid on these things.

Anyway, assuming this is true, I hope it means that it will transform the Grand Expo into more of a fulfilling area. I'm sure the theme will be something really fun.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

I noticed that in late November of last season.  TNT could use a little TLC.  :)

TNT has actually had quite a lot of TLC in the past couple of years. You'll notice that a lot of the track is fairly new, and much of the support system has been re-done in the last two years. The thing about rides like TNT, and with most coasters actually, is that the ride it gives is determinable on so  many factors. Where you sit, how you sit, the temperature, and especially the specific build of the person are all huge factors in the ride experience. Personally, as an enthusiast, I've learned to love rides even when they are rough - it's just another kind of experience.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 07:24:19 PM by shavethewhales »

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »
I think TNT was a great ride.  I have noticed that the Brown train is smother than the green and yellow one.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »
Thunderation was actually really smooth when I rode it in early April.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2008, 10:59:36 AM »
TNT has actually had quite a lot of TLC in the past couple of years. You'll notice that a lot of the track is fairly new, and much of the support system has been re-done in the last two years. The thing about rides like TNT, and with most coasters actually, is that the ride it gives is determinable on so  many factors. Where you sit, how you sit, the temperature, and especially the specific build of the person are all huge factors in the ride experience. Personally, as an enthusiast, I've learned to love rides even when they are rough - it's just another kind of experience.

I actually hadn't paid much attention to the condition of TNT the last time I rode it (in November).  When we go next month I'll have to check out the improvements.  Now that I think about it, TNT was pretty smooth when I rode it in November.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 10:30:23 AM »
I noticed back in April some blue ribbons around some trees back behind the butterfly ride in the Grand Expo section while waiting in line with my daughter.  I was looking at an old cement thing way off in the woods and wondering what it could be when I noticed the ribbons.  I assumed they were marking trees for removal due to storm damage and poor condition.  I am sure that is what that was as there wasn't that many.  It is a hilly section though, and would make a good location for a wood rollercoaster.

If they do use some of the terrain I hope they don't bulldoze trees and replant, but build through and around the existing trees to add to the "out of control" feeling.

sdcforever

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 02:46:38 PM »
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumors that it might be a Gerstlauer Euro-fighter (ala Mystery Mine)?  I haven't heard anything.  It would stay true to HFE's track record of copying rides among their parks.