Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271725 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #780 on: May 21, 2010, 11:51:36 AM »
I actually kind of like the fact that they turned it into a shooting gallery.  To each his/her own I guess.  I do miss the fake rocks falling at you from the tower.  I think they took that out in the early 80s.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 21, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »
By the way, the area where the fake rocks used to fall...the "rockslide" area...that is where the flooded mine photo in my thread about pictures from 1970 was taken. The "office" for the flooded mine was there. It was a pretty cool scene, seeing that guy's desk break through the floor and the water pour in from the window. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 21, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »
I was wondering where that was- cool scene.  I'm glad they took the "ghosts" out of the tower- scared my son.  The prisoners trying to escape through the tower is a better scene than the "ghosts".
I'm Your Huckleberry

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 22, 2010, 03:47:50 AM »
I actually kind of like the fact that they turned it into a shooting gallery.  To each his/her own I guess.  I do miss the fake rocks falling at you from the tower.  I think they took that out in the early 80s.

I think it was a lot later than that. After many years away, I visited in '98, and I'm pretty sure the rock slide was still there (with the strobe lights and netting to catch the foam "rocks").

I don't think that was an original part of the ride. I don't remember it from the late '70s to early '80s. But, it was a great addition.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 22, 2010, 09:30:47 AM »
The rock slide was there from at least 77 through 84 when I worked there. Don't know when they took it out. I did work at Flooded Mine for a couple of seasons as a guy they called in when they were short handed. I loved wearing the prisoner costume and "growling" at people to get in their boats, playing like I was a mean, grouchy ole prisoner.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

pintrader

« Reply #785 on: May 24, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »
a 5-year plan to revitalize FITH including bringing the collapsing bridge back. 
I figured the revitalization was complete with all the changes that were put in this year.  Has anyone heard of any more changes that are going to be made in the future? It would be a really neat thing to bring it back to the way it was when opened in 1973. I remember  when you met the train light steam would come up on both sides like you were about to collide with a real locomotive. Also I remember a scene with what looked like a couple of stuffed wolves. There was a lot of blue lights in this area and made the cement where the wolves were standing look like freshly fallen snow. It was real quiet in this area except for the howling of the wolves. Just wondered if anyone had heard any more rumors.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #786 on: May 24, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
^Well the 5 year plan involved the new trains, the updating of the scenes, a lot of safety upgrades, and there are few more things that if the money holds out they want to do still.
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #787 on: May 24, 2010, 09:44:37 PM »
appreciate the info Swoosh

Kriddels

• "Don't get to close to the NITRO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 27, 2010, 01:14:41 AM »
I remember in the early 90's there was water under the bridge scene but the guy never moved or anything. I think that scene would be a lot better with some more action in it. Some longer scenes would be nice but of course they have there numbers. As for the update this year, I think the Colonel Sanders mannequin is hilarious (look around the next time your on FITH)! 
"God must of been plum tuckered out after working on these here hills"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 27, 2010, 07:46:29 PM »
Rockslide in Flooded mine was the best, it did seem like it was broke alot.
I wonder of that was a maintenance mightmare.
Ill tell you I would love to see the FITH expand out the back of the building, that could add a scene or 2 and possibly allow them to add another train or maybe more.
That ride is such a classic, even a ride through glowing ember-ed trees after the fire could be really cool, maybe 1 more drop?
It would be really fun and I think everyone is a FITH fan. That would be a reason to come to the city again for many I know.
I do not remember any scene with the desk and the water inb the mine, I do remember the prisoner in the bottle, I think he is gone as well.
The old days of the float trip were gfreat fun, they used to let me stay on when it was slow, it was a fantisy world for me.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 27, 2010, 08:31:19 PM »
I rode FITH a few times with my son last Saturday but on Sunday once he didn't want to ride so I ended up riding next to an older gentlemen (looked to be late 60s).  When it was over he said "Kiddie ride" kind of sarcastically so I told him it was one of my favorites because of the story it told.  Hopefully I "converted" him!  ;D
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 27, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
The rockslide at Flooded Mine was a hard thing for maintenance to keep up with, I don't know why. The desk scene was taken out in the mid 70s. I preferred the mine prior to the guns and targets being put in. I liked the animated dummys better. They used to have a few that had a projecter on the face, and it appeared if the "action" was very realistic, but the projectors in the humid conditions had difficulties for maintenance, too.

I was River Rat at the Float Trip in 1979, and I can tell you, it was a fun ride to work at. Gentle, family friendly, and quiet and relaxing. I miss it.

I do like the plunge and the lost river, but I wish they would add more attention to detail and theme and atmosphere things better.

I like the idea of busting a hole in the back wall of FITH and taking the track out on the hills behind it, but it is such a classic ride I don't know how others would feel about that kind of change.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #792 on: May 27, 2010, 10:09:17 PM »
^there is no "hills" behind FiTH.  Directly behind it is a maintenance road.
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #793 on: May 28, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
Heck! Lets take it down the maintenance road till we find some hills.  I remember riding the flooded mine back in 1972 and they had a live donkey or mule in one of the scenes.  Boy did he ever smell.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 11, 2010, 07:14:12 PM »
I was unaware that a project for the 2010 season was to close off the majority of Birdle's Homestead. I was upset by this. I always enter (except when it is closed off totally by the chain/rope, BUT this time upon entering I found there to be a fence/gate in place that only allows a visitor to enter about 4 ft. into the cabin. I am sorry I have no photos of this, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had found this new addition this past off season.

If you want more information on the cabin, and its former inhabitants:
http://library.missouristate.edu/archives/speccoll/m008.htm