Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 273135 times)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #735 on: March 02, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
The tower will remain, it’s iconic. However, the tower will be used as an observation tower for employees of River Blast, much like the ones used at the Lost River. Geyser Gulch basically covers what the tower did, but in “today’s” terms of safety. The wax dipping guy and Aunt Polly’s Chicken will remain. What used to be Benjamin’s Pen & Ink will now be a mild merchandise area and the gemstone mining from Powder Keg will be added to the River Blast area.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 02, 2010, 01:41:21 PM »
GG may cover what the tower did on paper...but it comes nowhere close in terms of use!
I would really like to see an interactive and all age friendly area like that used to be. 
It is nice to see the pics; it gets me more excited to see all of that in use.

"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 02, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »
I would really like to see an interactive and all age friendly area like that used to be.

SDC could always get an Adventure Mountain; I think this could safely replace the rope and net tower.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #738 on: March 02, 2010, 02:16:59 PM »
I notice the Carousel Barn is called the "events building" on Facebook.  Does this suggest the building will be renamed?  I assume it will since there is no carousel anywhere nearby.

Also, I'd like to know more about how the building will be rethemed to match the ride/area.

I'm sorry to see pen and ink go - it's one more craft gone, unless it's just moving, and it's being replaced by ride-themed merchandise.

Panning makes sense in the riverfront area, though I don't get the wax connection.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 02:20:22 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #739 on: March 02, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
It's too bad the tower will only be used for employee functions. I had hoped there would be some kind of dry fun in this area. It does feel like they put in less than they took out. There's certainly lots of room for small activities in the area, similar to what's been done in the TGS area.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 02, 2010, 02:27:06 PM »
^I'm not sure that will be true.  I can imagine there will be a lot of people watching the action in the area.

Plus, it would be nice to keep this area open for traffic flow.  It's possible there will be even more congestion now.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 02, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »
Basically the Riverfront is moving up into this area and the barn is receiving a lot of little extras to add to the theme. I think there is a lot going on in this area, not only the ride itself, but the guest interaction along the shore.

I think it is more balanced then before. Tom Sawyer's landing might have had too much for such a small area and a growing number of people and it is the City's job to constantly improve. This has always been a problem bottle neck area and I think this attraction will help fix that. And other areas can always grow and add more crafts and attractions.

The Pen and Ink has been gone for a season or two, the man who ran it might have been ill.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:26:54 PM by Copper »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #742 on: March 02, 2010, 06:21:43 PM »
My only complaint about this area is the fact that it will basically "shut its doors" when it gets too cold for wet rides and that is a huge area in the middle of the park that will be underutilized -- with that being said, I am very excited about this new addition and the level of detail that has been added to this area of the park.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 02, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
Thanks, Copper.  Are any of the other area buildings getting facelifts?  When we were there last, at Christmas, it looks as if they were erecting new signage up at the Playhouse.  Would this perchance be the signal that the entire area is going to look like an area and not just a collection of this and that?  I'm looking forward to the feel of an actual riverfront; I hope I'm not thinking too big.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 02, 2010, 09:26:01 PM »
I wish they'd put the carousel back inside the carousel building, then there would be ONE more indoor ride for kids, during the colder days!  I think each time I told the girls, last December, "it's too cold", I bought them another hot chocolate! :)
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 02, 2010, 09:37:46 PM »
Is there any work being done on Grandfather's Mansion?

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 03, 2010, 07:31:24 AM »
Tinmann we did the same thing. 

I am glad that the area is going to be cohesive, and hopefully when the fall and winter roll around we will be dazzled with how they keep the area alive. 

Just like with every change I will get used to it, but sometimes the changes make me miss the way that it used to be.

Thanks Copper for giving us some more peeks! 
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 03, 2010, 09:06:23 AM »
My only complaint about this area is the fact that it will basically "shut its doors" when it gets too cold for wet rides and that is a huge area in the middle of the park that will be underutilized -- with that being said, I am very excited about this new addition and the level of detail that has been added to this area of the park.

This has been my problem all along, SDC seems to be moving away from the crafts and shopping and relying more on the rides to draw crowds. Maybe its more corporate thinking that they should add something that is not usable during half of its operating year; they can run the ride but who is going to ride it in April? ( Lost River)
Built the darn rollercoaster, add the balloons and the carosell, why do you say?  Cause they can actually be crowd draws 9 months a year.  They can also assist in releving the lines at the open rides, yes even those that only run 1 car or train when there is a 30 min wait.
I am looking forward to the new ride but cant shake the fact that common sense is not comming into play here.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 03, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »
^^ I have that same thought. We already have two water rides that will soak ya.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #749 on: March 03, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
SDC seems to be moving away from the crafts and shopping and relying more on the rides to draw crowds. Maybe its more corporate thinking that they should add something that is not usable during half of its operating year... I am looking forward to the new ride but cant shake the fact that common sense is not comming into play here.

Well I can tell you that a new ride is much more marketable then adding a new craft demonstrator.
Seriously what would excite you more if you were a first time visitor to SDC

"Come ride the wettest ride in the country - New for 2010 RIVER BATTLE only at SDC"
or
"Come watch history come to life by watching our new Candle Making demonstration - New for 2010 only at SDC"

I see what you are getting at, but from a marketing stand point the new ride is going to win out every time.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:58:06 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH