Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 273404 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #645 on: February 10, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
"...is supposed to..."?  Care to explain?  Are you saying that is the plan, or are you just blowing smoke?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #646 on: February 10, 2010, 04:19:07 PM »
So now I'm just blowing smoke, eh?   :P

I'm just saying that...
One rumor says that a woodrn coaster is supposed to go there.
One rumor says that Celebration City's flat ride collection and Roaring Falls are supposed to go there.

One has to be right and one has to be wrong -- then again they could both be wrong, but obviously they both cannot be correct.

SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 10, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
So now I'm just blowing smoke, eh?   Tongue

Sometimes it's hard to tell.  I think you may have some cabin fever.

I haven't heard a "rumor" about CC's flat rides, and I hope SDC is smarter than that.  I have seen people "speculating" that it might happen, but not a rumor.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 10, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »
Please, please, PLEASE let this just be speculation. SDC is not a carnival it is a THEME park. Even the Herschend's couldn't stick all those rides in there and make them look great in that spot. It might work in the Grand Expo but the only CC ride I'd want to see there is Roaring Falls, if done correctly.

Send the leftover rides to Wild Adventures.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:42:52 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #649 on: February 10, 2010, 09:29:17 PM »
I could see us getting CC leftovers next year and a coaster in 11, or the other way around. I mean, SDC is going to become a rides-based theme park no matter what - the people that are coming now aren't coming to watch a glassblower and listen to the Cajun Connection. That area of the park is an ideal area to add a bunch of rides together. It would help create more of a bridge between the Expo and the coaster corner.

Who knows though, they could surprise us. It just seems like we're going to be getting either rides or an Adventure Mountain clone from here on out though.

GCII updated the plans on facebook again. At this rate, if that is a real ride they are revealing, there must be an announcement coming soon.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #650 on: February 10, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »
*This is in no way based on anything I've heard, just piecing things together*

Where Splash Harbor was:
-Roaring Falls
-CC Rides (they'll be hidden from the main midway and will only be seen once in GG)

Where tower for WB was:
-Adventure Mountain Rope Course

NEW GCI WOODEN COASTER:
well as pointed out above, the topography over by PK matches pretty closely what was put on the GCI Facebook page.  Take it for what it is worth.

I'd say we have some "BIG" seasons ahead of us at SDC
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #651 on: February 11, 2010, 08:12:17 AM »
I'm actually excited about either speculation (Roaring Falls, CC Rides) or GCI coaster, as long as we don't get an Adventure Mountain.  But if we do get an AM, I can live with it.  I trust SDC and the vision they have for the park.  Don't forget that craft survey they sent out last year.  It seems like we'll be getting a new ride(s) and some new crafts on park in the future! :)  The only rumor I'm aware of is a new coaster; the rest is speculation about the CC rides and AM (but looking at how HFE operates their parks, it's not wild speculation).

As for this thread topic, the construction of the '10 project is well under way, as is the removal of Splash Harbor and the waterboggan, I'm sure.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 11, 2010, 09:37:45 AM »
OK, I'm getting down on my knees to pray! "May SDC management have the wisdom to keep QUALITY attractions SUITABLE for the theme! NO CARNIVAL TYPE RIDES! SDC is the CORNERSTONE for Hershend Family Entertainment! QUALITY! ATTENTION TO DETAIL! THEME! THEME! THEME!
Think high class, execute only the best plans, and people and profit will continue to roll in as the waters of the sea! Do nothing...NOTHING...that would cause "Miss Mary" to rest uncomfortably in that nice, shady lot at Evergreen!" Ahhhhh...I'm feelin' it! OK! Whew! I hope I did that in time.  ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sdcforever

« Reply #653 on: February 11, 2010, 10:26:08 AM »
^Considering the quality of RiverBlast, I think it's working... ;)

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 11, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »
OK, I'm getting down on my knees to pray! "May SDC management have the wisdom to keep QUALITY attractions SUITABLE for the theme! NO CARNIVAL TYPE RIDES! SDC is the CORNERSTONE for Hershend Family Entertainment! QUALITY! ATTENTION TO DETAIL! THEME! THEME! THEME!
Think high class, execute only the best plans, and people and profit will continue to roll in as the waters of the sea! Do nothing...NOTHING...that would cause "Miss Mary" to rest uncomfortably in that nice, shady lot at Evergreen!" Ahhhhh...I'm feelin' it! OK! Whew! I hope I did that in time.  ;D

Preach it!  SDC, are you listening?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 11, 2010, 11:08:45 AM »
A BIG THUMBS UP for RiverBlast! If themed correctly, with attention to detail, flat rides from CC may be OK. (My stomach is a little sour on that one, but I think I can handle it.) I'm NOT in favor of something slapped up quickly from a defunct carnival somewhere, like a Scrambler, Tilt-a-Whirl, or a kiddie ride like motorcycles going around in a circle. Let some traveling carnival have that stuff, so they can erect it for a week on a parking lot at a second rate mall, ok? If it ain't first class, if it ain't well planned and thought out, if it ain't the highest quality, IF IT'S NOT IN THEME, I DON'T WANT TO SEE IT AT SDC! (Junior now proceeds to get off his soapbox, and resume normal, happy activities.)  ;) Bring back the balloon chase, I'm OK with that. My grandkids would love it!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #656 on: February 11, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »
A BIG THUMBS UP for RiverBlast! If themed correctly, with attention to detail, flat rides from CC may be OK. (My stomach is a little sour on that one, but I think I can handle it.) I'm NOT in favor of something slapped up quickly from a defunct carnival somewhere, like a Scrambler, Tilt-a-Whirl, or a kiddie ride like motorcycles going around in a circle.

Ha ha, I don't think we're in danger of that. Just because the park is moving to a rides-based attraction doesn't mean it has to descend into a fun fair. Just look at TGS. There's more detail and thought put into that attraction than a lot of entire parks. RB is a continuation of this. If we get CC rides, they'll be themed appropriately too, but there will still be a lot more rides around the place. Like what others have speculated, I expect to see Accelerator (S&S double shot tower) show up soon, probably themed around a mine explosion. That and Roaring Falls themed to a Victorian water chute would be a pretty good addition.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #657 on: February 11, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »
Huge update on SDC's facebook: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4583461&id=7656242602#!/photo.php?pid=4583464&id=7656242602&fbid=323343187602

Looks like those towers were for the new water line after all. Everything continues to look better and better.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 11, 2010, 02:20:35 PM »
The only thing I really want from CC is the CAROUSEL. 

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 11, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »
Having a consistent theme is not going to insure the future success of the park.  I love SDC and therefore wouldn't want to see a drastic change to the overall atmosphere of the park.  Having said that I also realize that the future success of the park is tied into keeping the park fresh and interesting for a broad spectrum of people.  Keeping any future attractions tied into the overall theme would be preferred, but it shouldn't be the final factor in deciding if a new attraction was brought to the park.  Keeping the park the crown jewel of the company...offering the latest and greatest to its patrons, regardless of theme, must be considered. 

Because of DW's more diverse range of themes, the company is placing more and more capital into this operation.  The cost of "themeing" isn't such a factor with DW.  After visiting DW, I prefer SDC.  But I can see where the park offers more to those visiting because it is not locked into trying to be true to a certain time period or genre.

I hope the SDC's theme is preserved, but I also want the park to be successfull and be around for another 50 years.  If this means being a little more lax in it's themeing, I can live with that.