Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271542 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #555 on: October 31, 2009, 08:43:52 PM »
I've never seen SH as a big attraction.  It was really only used in the advertisements for one year when it was built as an expansion of GG.  I can imagine most people don't even know it's back there.  Don't you teenagers only go back there looking for impromptu wet t-shirts?  Additionally, the whole painted-wood-in-the-water decorating idea just isn't working very well.  The area has to be repainted every year, and by the time the season is over, the whole place looks horrible.

BTW, has anyone noticed the sign under the "clock tower" says "HIGHER LEARING" and not "HIGHER LEARNING"?  Is that on purpose?

I really never thought we would be talking about GG and SH in the 2009/10 Project area.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:44:52 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #556 on: October 31, 2009, 10:23:17 PM »
Not sure if anyone has said this on here, but since River Battle is somewhat similar to Splash Harbor, they will be removing SH this winter, not sure if they will us any pieces from SH in the new ride.

Really?  They didn't rip out the one at DW when they added River Battle there.
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #557 on: November 01, 2009, 10:01:23 AM »
Hmmm, doesn't look like SH is on the list of attractions anymore... or was it ever on there? Ha ha, I hope Copper is joking.  :D

I don't think it was ever listed in the first place.  It is still on the map and is in the Rides Guide, in conjunction with GG.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 01, 2009, 11:17:33 PM »
Well if they do end up moving all of the water cannons and stuff over to the River Battle area, they can make the Splash Harbor area into another kiddie ride area and can put the balloons and carousel from Sawyer Landing there and then add some of the rides from Celebration City there as well.
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 02, 2009, 02:27:45 PM »
I was actually thinking about moving in over there in SH, and taking up squatters rights up inside the ball cannon area. I always had thoughts of living in Huck Finn's hideaway, or in Grandfather's Mansion. I wish there was a suite like in Cinderella's castle at WD that people could stay inside the park. Brings me to another thought, I wish they would allow a group to camp inside the park like we have here for the Zoo or Busch Stadium, the Art Museum here in StL. Anyway back onto the topic at hand...I do think it would be a good area for the displaced rides.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #560 on: November 02, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »
It doesn't seem like taking out SH would really add any space, but I guess it is sitting on prime real estate that could be take up by another big ride or a lake front restaurant. It certainly could be that they're planning a whole new area for that corner of the park though. Just move the train tracks over and there's room for a handful of CC rides. I just hope they don't try for a boardwalk theme...

Still seems like it's too young to die though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it opens next year.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 02, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
Well I think moving all of the water stuff over to River Blast makes sense, and they could use the old Stump Water Fort there in Sawyer Landing as a place to shoot water and be shot at.  Makes sense to me. 

I think where Splash Harbor was is where Rube Dugan's Diving Bell v2.0 needs to go. :)
SWOOSH

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 03, 2009, 02:28:48 PM »
Swoosh, I thought the same thing, excellent place for the Diving Belle or Maybe the Gerstlauer could go there, Dollywood's crosses over a path???

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 03, 2009, 02:31:53 PM »
Opening in Spring is Tom & Huck’s
RiverBlast, a super-soaking water raft ride
themed around the adventures of Tom Sawyer
and Huck Finn. Raft riders, armed with water
soakers, will battle raft-to-raft and raft-to-shore,
while dodging streams from shore shooters
too. With hundreds of water features, this will
be America’s biggest water battle! With the
opening of RiverBlast and all its water battle/
water gun features, Splash Harbor will be
removed.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #564 on: November 03, 2009, 04:44:57 PM »
Opening in Spring is Tom & Huck’s
RiverBlast, a super-soaking water raft ride
themed around the adventures of Tom Sawyer
and Huck Finn. Raft riders, armed with water
soakers, will battle raft-to-raft and raft-to-shore,
while dodging streams from shore shooters
too. With hundreds of water features, this will
be America’s biggest water battle! With the
opening of RiverBlast and all its water battle/
water gun features, Splash Harbor will be
removed.

YES! Finally an announcement worth getting excited about. Where is this from?

Definitely sounds like this attraction will meet our high standards. Pretty neat that it will be the largest in America, or maybe they're referring to the attraction as a whole. Either way it sounds like it will be the first to really combine both on and off-ride water battles. I just have to wonder how it will fit into the area without getting everyone soaked who tries to make it to the riverside rib house. I also have to give them major props for officially refreshing the Tom and Huck theme.

Hmm, better start a new speculation thread for the bit about Splash Harbor...

docspeleo

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • Doc on Lantern Tour
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 03, 2009, 07:29:20 PM »
Well.. hmmm.. hahahaha
I figured I'd chim-in...
I'm going away from the cave for the Christmas Festival.  I'll be over at the flooded mine-Doc turned convict for the winter.
So i'll make sure to get some shots of the winter progress.

unedited shots.. lol
Former Cave Guide 2006-2011

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 03, 2009, 07:31:55 PM »
From the SDC Times Volume 4, Nov 09' (in case you do not receive it)
 "Word travels fast up the muddy Mississippi...be on the lookout for fun-loving, mischief makers Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, who are making their way back to town for our 50th birthday. Armed with raft, fishing poles and their keen sense of adventure, the infamous pranksters have set out from Hannibal in search of the mighty White River that will lead them to Silver Dollar City.
  Adventure will abound and that's exactly what the boys are counting on! In fact, rumor has it that Tom and Huck are planning to add a little of their own gusto to the party. You see, the thrill-seeking duo only has two claims to fame...anything to do with navigating the water and taking adventure head-on.
  With this in mind, their scheme is to set up a riverboat tour to give all those coming from far-and-wide a hootin' and hollerin' good time. The troublesome two have a few tricks up their sleeves and we don't want to spoil all the fun. But, we're forewarning folks to start practicing their aim 'cause the real adventure is about to begin!"

sdcforever

« Reply #567 on: November 03, 2009, 08:51:07 PM »
Yes, the official RiverBlast website!  I am so pumped for this attraction!  Just when I thought SDC was sagging a bit with theming, this attraction is themed to the hilt!  I wish they'd launch websites for some of the other attractions (Lost River, ThuNderaTion, PK, Wildfire, etc) to reinforce the theming.  Especially worth a read on this website is The RiverBlast Saga and Water Soaking Adventures (The Tree Fort is incorporated!  There's a special surprise at the end!).

Check it out! ;D

http://www.sdcriverblast.com/adventure.html

There's a news page as well.  This isn't a cheap Splash Battle.  It's $7 million, has a ride duration of over 5 minutes on a river channel over 560 feet in length, and opens on March 18, 2010!  According to the FAQ, you will get very wet (obviously), so they'll be installing a family size haystack dryer for a minimal charge.

http://www.sdcriverblast.com/news.html

Be sure to check out the video on the main page by clicking on the sign.

http://www.sdcriverblast.com/index.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:06:32 PM by SDC Rules! »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 03, 2009, 09:19:01 PM »
Swoosh, I thought the same thing, excellent place for the Diving Belle or Maybe the Gerstlauer could go there, Dollywood's crosses over a path???

That's not a bad idea, and it would look very ominous staring at you for across the lake.  The outside portion could cross over the railroad tracks to where the current employee parking is there near the back of the Red Gold Heritage Hall.  It would definitely cut down on a lot of outside themeing if you have it back there, because most of it would be back stage.  Also having it across the lake from the main park will make it look even bigger with the magic of forced perspective.  Me likes the possibilites. :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:21:13 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #569 on: November 04, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »

How 'bout really getting creative and wild - a Diving Bell-themed Gerstlauer??
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating