Author Topic: Dollywood 2012 Project - Wild Eagle  (Read 51519 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Dollywood 2012 Project
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 08:15:39 AM »
If only it were that easy.  It's next to impossible to move a wooden coaster
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 11:08:48 AM »
yea swoosh,  I think we realize it would be almost impossible to do that, and i am sure totally cost prohibitive....... BUT since we are wishing anyway///////.........

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
However, it can and has been done.  Several years ago a Wildcat wooden coaster was moved to Frontier City.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 12:19:13 PM »
Oh yeah, it can be done.  Phoenix at Knoebel's was moved.  Wildcat at Frontier City.  There was one at Cypress Gardens moved there.  It's not impossible, just not cost effective -- and OW was built on a flat parcell of land which there is really none of at SDC
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 03:55:52 PM »
Getting back to the subject at hand, it appears that this ride could possibly be DW's  (and subsequently HFEC's) biggest ride expenditure yet.
During the 1980s and 1990s, Dollywood invested tens of millions of dollars in new attractions.

The investments continued into the new millennium, with more than $50 million for the Splash Country water park and almost $50 million for the Dixie Stampede themed dinner show. Dollywood now is ranked as one of the Top 50 most attended theme parks worldwide.

And it's not about to end. In coming years, Dollywood will see the largest investments in the park's history, Miller said.

Continual investments by Dollywood have been a blessing to the marketing folks in Pigeon Forge, said Leon Downey, executive director of the city's tourism board.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/apr/03/at-50-pigeon-forge-still-growing/

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 11:30:46 AM »
Here is another pretty good article on the new barnstormer..  also some good pictures with it.

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20110407/3463/review-barnstormer-dollywood

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »
It seems DW's attraction will be a first for the US, have a world record setting element, be the park's (and subsequently HFEC's) largest investment to date, and we will be pleased by the theming. All of this according to Pete Owens on Thrillnetwork's chat earlier tonight. http://www.thrillnetwork.com/content/transcript-industry-chat-night-pete-owens-dollywood-2698/

Sounds like another monster for the park, and only 4 years after the chain upped the bar with MM.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »
B&M Wingrider?  That would definitely be a first to the US.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 01:00:32 AM »
I'm going to hedge an early bet on an Intamin thirteen style ride with the piece of track that drops vertically. The only existing model is in the UK at Alton Towers, and the vertical track piece drop could easily be the largest in the world.

It fits all the info that's been given, and would be a sensible fit for the park since they've got several major thrill coasters already, and this would appeal to a slightly broader audience while strengthening that line up against the other parks in the region that are getting new coasters.

I'd be pleased with it, as it lends itself to extensive theming and an immersive environment.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 05:26:30 AM »
that would be quite an addition to their line up. And i would guess as you people have been saying all along, That DW needs/will get the additional funds because of the local and their attendence numbers.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 06:00:36 AM »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2011, 10:05:42 PM »
The footers seem too big for my earlier guess of a Thirteen-style ride. A B&M wing-rider is the popular guess right now, but somehow I don't really see it. I still really want Dollywood to just put in a solid tried-and-true B&M model rather than trying some sort of gimmick. I don't see what a Wing-Rider really offers in terms of thrills, and the review of the one at Gardaland have been so-so as far as the actual ride type goes. An Invert on the other hand would be incredible in this location.

Then again, judging from some of the things they've said about it, it probably isn't a B&M anyway.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2011, 11:25:23 PM »
Either way it goes, Dollywood has been dreaming big lately!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »
Dreaming Big yes,   And then they have been realizing their dreams :D

someday,SDC will be on the receiving end again!