Author Topic: Dollywood 2012 Project - Wild Eagle  (Read 51565 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Dollywood 2012 Project - Wild Eagle
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »
Well, we may not have anything major to look forward to at SDC in 2012, but DW sure looks like they're getting ready to add something else huge.

http://themountainpress.com/view/full_story/12428724/article--Dollywood-on-planners%E2%80%99-agenda--shrouded-in-secrecy--but-2012-park-addition-to-be-discussed-Tuesday-?instance=main_article

While he won’t say anything about the attraction planned for 2012, Owens says more information will be revealed shortly after the park opens later this week. He’s also working hard to build expectations for the announcement, saying it will be unique and outsized.

That's always good to hear.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:41:33 PM by shavethewhales »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Dollywood 2012 Project
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:25:20 AM »
really? ???

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »
Well that is a bummer for us at SDC...   
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »
Why is that a bummer for SDC?  It's not a competition for who has/gets the better rides.  DW cannot even begin to come close to having the charm SDC has.
SWOOSH

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 05:24:39 PM »
eh, IMO, Dollywood is just a large busted step-sister to the first born & favorite child; SDC.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »
Maybe the DW economy survey got more favorable results than the SDC economy survey.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:06:48 PM »
Dollywood is in an area that is growing rapidly with tourism, and simply has a much bigger market and stiffer competition to deal with. It makes sense for them to be investing heavily in the park right now. As for SDC, Branson isn't looking so hot anymore, and that might not change for awhile. As swoosh said, it's not a competition between the parks, the company just doesn't want to flush its money away.

If this project is indeed a coaster, I'm a little torn on what I want it to be. I really enjoyed the MM concept because it put a major looping coaster into a small, heavily themed package that really fit the HFEC feel. I hope they don't go and try to change the skyline of the park with this one. I would love to see them pick up a terrain B&M of any sort. DW could use a reliable, high capacity thrill ride.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 09:23:59 PM »
“I don’t know that anyone has ever announced a new theme park attraction, maybe not even a new business, in the manner that we’re planning to announce this,” Owens said.

This is the part that intrigues me.  How could you make such a claim and not then disappoint?  It seems a bad move to raise expectations in such a way.  Perhaps, there will be flashmobs all over the region to announce the new attraction.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:32 AM »
I am also surprised at he timing of the announcement, why announce now. for NEXT year.. I would have thought they would want to get this year going strong 1st. Let people enjoy the newest attractions!

Maybe announce the NEW for 2012 midsummer or so.?

I still wonder if that is what SDC is doing.?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »
Oh, there are some important details:

Not even a name was assigned to the new ride, which one planning staffer has said looks in draft plans like some type of roller coaster, as it was presented to the group.

The site plan approved by the group shows considerable excavation that will have to be done on the hill below the Sky Zip platforms to carve out a place for the ride. It also depicts a lengthy and winding ride track, the relocation of a few buildings, and plans to construct a couple new ones.

So that already answers the question of whether it will be a coaster or not.

I'm really glad to see another HFEC original coaster go up, and it already sounds like it will be another big winner with terrain features and excavations. I do wish we were getting here at SDC though, but maybe we'll get the improved second edition.  ::)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 10:56:16 AM »
I read that!  i also read this part>>

'""At its highest, the attraction will stand 11 feet. The project has already received approval for its stormwater impacts from state regulators, Wantiez said."""

Not sure what to make of all those little hints and details..

LOL!  I like the idea of SDC getting the revised edition.  that actually could happen

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »
Apparently Swoosh thinks that charm will keep the lights on.  How I wish that was true.  But we do have our new play land...worth the price of admission alone!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »
Apparently Swoosh thinks that charm will keep the lights on.  How I wish that was true.  But we do have our new play land...worth the price of admission alone!

I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth. 
That's not a game you want to play bud.
SWOOSH

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
Your the one that brought "charm" up...not me.  And unlike some people here....your knowledge of the industry doesnt impress me very much, so drop trying to intemidate me....bud.