Author Topic: Branson Attractions (Other than Food and Shows)  (Read 10412 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Branson Attractions (Other than Food and Shows)
« on: March 23, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »
Where's the best mini-golf?  Maxi-golf?

Which museums are worth our time and money?

Shopping?  Or does that need to a separate thread?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Branson Attractions (Other than Food and Shows)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 08:20:18 PM »
The Country building with the big guitar on it has good mini golf. Also last time we were in Branson we went to a new mini golf area. I can't remember the name of it. It was themed with dinosaurs. I do remember that it had a big volcano right in the middle of it. It was really cool.

We don't really go to museums although everytime we go to Branson my dad always says, "Man, I really want to go to that Veterans Museum sometime. I'll drop you guys off at Silver Dollar City for the day and I'll just go there!" To this date we have never been. I don't know if it's a Veterans Museum or a specific war museum though. Sorry, I can never remember the names of these places!  ::)

I've also wanted to go to the new Titanic museum (it's not really museum but I think it could be classified as one). It looks really interesting (from the outside anyways).

For shopping we go to the Tanger Outlets. We used to go to the Red Mall next to White Water until it kind of got run down a little bit. There are many shopping opportunities in Branson though.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

BelmontATO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:16:36 AM »
The Titanic museum is fantastic, and well worth your time and money. I saw the traveling exhibition of artifacts several years ago in Nashville, and they had a couple of things that the Branson museum did not, but all told, the Branson attraction is far better and absolutely fascinating. I highly recommend it.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »
The thing to know about Titanic is that none of the items you see are from the shipwreck; they are things that were carried off by the passengers or things owned by the passengers - stuff like that.  The traveling exhibit includes things salvaged from the wreckage, though they do some things the same way - the iceberg and the tickets with the names of passengers.  The Branson museum also features direct tie-ins with the movie and replicas of the grand staircase (though no actual photos exist) and the state rooms.  There are also interactive displays.  I've only been in the gift shop, but it looks like the museum was done right.

PLUS - where else would you expect to find a Titanic museum other than Branson, MO.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »
^The Titanic museum in Branson is not the only one. There are others. I think there is one in Orlando and maybe Chicago. I'm not for sure though.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »
The Branson Titanic exhibit is the world's largest collection of artifacts from the boat.

I recommend the Landing and Tanger Outlets.  IMAX is a lot of fun as well.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »
We went to The Landing for the first time this weekend. It was really cool and fun. We also always go to Tanger Outlets.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:58:14 AM »
Tanger is about the only place we shop nowadays.  Occasionally we'll hit Grand Village. 

I find that Branson Landing is just another mall, except outdoors, with most of the same stores we can see in any other major city.  I had higher expectations for the water and fire show considering the expense.

sdcforever

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 03:27:13 PM »
For mini golf we love going to Pirate's Cove on Green Mountain Dr.  We talk about theming on this forum a lot, and Pirate's Cove has great theming!

For shopping we go to Tanger Outlet Mall.  We used to go to the Red Roof Mall, but it really has gone downhill.  A lot of shops have left that mall; unfortunately the shops that have left are the ones that really made it worth visiting.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »
I like the Landing, but when you actually live in Branson I guess you appreciate it more because it eliminates the drive to Springfield. I do agree it is an outdoor mall. I was hoping for some shops that not everyone has in their town: Crate and Barrel, H&M...

I also don’t mind the Water show. I have seen the one in Vegas at the Bellagio and it is larger then the one in Branson, but no more impressive. I guess I like the Landing because it has a different feel than the same old Branson craft mall. Not that I am dissing craft malls, I hate them, but people do like them.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 07:44:37 PM »
I do think the water show would be better from a Duck (as in Ride the Ducks) if it was timed right.

And maybe if the music was different, something more like the music for the Christmas tree at SDC, which would allow for more choreography in the water.

sdcforever

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 09:24:09 PM »
Oh, I forgot about Ride the Ducks!  I love Ride the Ducks!  The Titanic Museum is really good too!  Very interesting, especially if you love history.  Ripley's Believe It Or Not is great to visit as well.  You could spend three or four days in the Titanic Museum and Ripley's alone.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »
I like the Landing because you can escape the tourists.  I might not be from the area, but I sure as heck do not consider myself a tourist when I go to Branson.  For one thing I know the area's back roads very well and it annoys me when some "out of towner" decides to use my route and slow me down.

Tanger has really gone down hill.  I used to really shopping there, but not it's "meh" and honestly it is just as bad as a mall -- Old Navy, Aero, Pac Sun, Disney Store.
SWOOSH

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 11:15:13 PM »
Tanger has really gone down hill.  I used to really shopping there, but not it's "meh" and honestly it is just as bad as a mall -- Old Navy, Aero, Pac Sun, Disney Store.

That is too bad. I had heard that from other people, but didn’t believe it. Tanger had always been the nicest of the three big outlets. I haven’t been to Tanger in a long time. The Branson Meadows mall is a blank slate; someone should do something great with it.

Side note for everyone:
Branson Meadows was originally a large planned development with the Osmond family as partners. The original plans called for two Osmond owned theatres, hotels, condos, housing and a sport themed theme park called Sportopia. Never happened, obviously. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:17:48 PM by Copper »

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 09:44:12 AM »
I forgot about Branson Meadows.  I used to enjoy going there, and it's too bad Tanger has gone downhill.  I wonder if the Osmond's original plan for Branson Meadows would have succeeded?  Sounds a little too ambitious to me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:44:51 AM by sdcforever »