Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 159609 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #375 on: August 17, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »
 ;D ;D

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 17, 2011, 07:37:10 PM »
bobber -- we'll be there saturday too. we will have a newbie with us, & since the park is only open from10 - 6, we'll be hittin' it pretty hard. if ya see 4 people wearin' racin' shirts, thats prob'ly us! :D motel & car rental are already reserved. we stay at shady acre in branson west cuz of all the trees surrounding the place, its close to SDC, the people are nice, & the frogs croaking at night is priceless.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:43:46 PM by How-doFolks »
Live life like it's the last day!

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 17, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »
Well i'll keep my eyes open. We are only going to be down for the day and bringing a nephew that has never been before so we will probably be pretty busy, but I will still keep and eye out. Have a good and safe trip.
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 18, 2011, 06:00:23 AM »
ya all have a safe & fun trip too, bobber. just hope the weather favors us all....

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #379 on: August 18, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
I'm a bit late in posting, but I had a GREAT time at the City on August 10th.   My parents were just asking for me to bring the rain with me from Florida and just like that...it rained!   It cooled things off pretty nicely and I was able to enjoy cooler temperatures at the City.

I got there right at Opening.   Actually, I was the first person on the square that day and spent the entire day taking photos (see link below).   Didn't ride one attraction all day long, and just took my camera with me to soak in every creaky board and railroad tie.  

I spent about 2 hours with June in the basement of the Candy Factory catching up and visiting with the family there.   Ate lunch with Brad Thomas in the cafeteria, which I hadn't eaten inside of since I worked there.   Even though I mention this at my own peril, I followed lunch up with a sandwich at Big Jack's.   This might be my only complaint of the entire day, but has anyone been there lately?   The sandwiches are all pre-made and now contain less meat and olive spread.   Also, there is just something about picking your sandwich out of a cooler case that just doesn't seem "right" about it.   I suppose it's more efficient, but honestly, we waited on our cashier (who was slow as molasses) which washed out any benefit of having the sandwiches as a grab-and-go.

I stayed all day and really just had a leisurely day without any elbowing, pushing, rude kids, midnight madness, basketballs, etc....I was SOOOO excited!!!!!  

Got to see Copper for a bit too (but sadly missed the lantern tour)

Here's the photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/sets/72157627458352602/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:03:03 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 19, 2011, 07:22:25 AM »
BetaMike: Glad you had a great trip. Thanks for posting those photos. You have a good camera and good eye, too! I could almost smell the candles in the candle shop and the funnel cakes and popcorn on the streets.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 19, 2011, 11:36:52 AM »
   Even though I mention this at my own peril, I followed lunch up with a sandwich at Big Jack's.   This might be my only complaint of the entire day, but has anyone been there lately?   The sandwiches are all pre-made and now contain less meat and olive spread.   Also, there is just something about picking your sandwich out of a cooler case that just doesn't seem "right" about it.   I suppose it's more efficient, but honestly, we waited on our cashier (who was slow as molasses) which washed out any benefit of having the sandwiches as a grab

[/quote]

Yeah I noticed that also last trip down there. Apparently people were complaining about the wait. I personally do not think one should be in a hurry if your at SDC anyway but I guess the majority rules on this one. I kinda compared it to a quicktrip

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 19, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
I've actually thought about starting a thread related to big jacks...
When I was a kid (80's & 90's) I remember getting huge deli style sandwiches from that place along with really good pie.  We were bummed when they either removed or greatly decreased the pie selection.  Our last time in there (Dec of 2010) it smelled so terribly of a fryer in use that we went somewhere else to eat (we wanted some place inside to get out of the cold).  My family loves fresh food and a deli style place really fits our bill.  Sad to hear that they've gone to pre-packaged sandwiches.  I hate to post anything negative about SDC, but this is one place that really seems to have gone downhill compared to how I remember it.
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 19, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »
JMC75 - I think that is what happened.  When I worked at the City I was techinically a "Craftsman" but fell under the Merchandise Line of Business.   If anyone knows anything about Mdse or F&B (food and beverage), then you know that nothing makes you smile like a streamlined process and improved bottom line.   I do think that this category would fit nicely under the "Not During Miss Mary's Time" for sure.

Kentucky Optimist - Don't feel bad at all for thinking this.   When I was a kid starting out at the City, I had such an opinionated view of how Heritage within the City needed to be maintained.   Instead of hiding these thoughts, Aunt June actually encouraged me to write to the Director at the time, and express my feelings about growing up and the sense of loss I was feeling regarding all the "progress."   I got the nicest letter back expressing the same feelings that I had and was ensured that Mary's vision will always be followed.   My views were actually welcomed!   I think the people that love the City the most, have the most critical things to say about it!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 21, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
Well, we had a somewhat odd trip. The park was supposed to open at 10am, we got to the square at 9:50am & the ropes we already dropped. It was also St. Johns Day?? They had given out alot of free tickets & we saw alot of people with Joplin shirts on. I asked a guy at the gate when we left, how many guests they had. He said 20+!! So i guess that means 20,000 guests! Thats ok though, we made the best of it even though we didnt get to see & do everything we wanted. The park closed at 6pm.

Ok, here we go. ---- Left our house at 5am, got our motel room & at the park by 10am. Went to Powderkeg first & was standing in line & they decided to add a second train. So, we went & rode FITH real quick, & then went back to Powderkeg. Line was alil' longer but thats ok. Stopped & got some ham & beans at Aunt Pollys because we hadnt ate since 5'ish. My fiance' & my daughters boyfriend rode The Giant Swing by theirselves because i didnt wanna ride that just after i ate. Got some ice-cream & strawberrys to settle the stomache. Hit The Flooded Mine & Thunderation. Went to the leather shop & my daughters boyfriend got a wallet, & my fiance' & i got some braclets, i've always wanted one from SDC. Did the cave tour next. And as we was walking around the square afterwords, we ran into Terry Sanders & took a picture with him. Talked with him for just for second & i mentioned this site & he said -- " oh, shame on you!" I had told him that we knew who he was. We went & got my daughter a sundress that she wanted, & left the park about 5'ish because it was H O T, crowded, & we wanted to beat the crowd out even though we had preferred parking. We had been up since 5am, & after a 4 hour drive & all day at the park, we was hungry! Rode the slick track go-karts, got some Andys custard & showed Juan around Branson alil'. And it started RAINING!! So we drove back to the motel nice & easy & got there about 8, watched TV for about 1 hour & passed out.... Got up between 5 & 6 am & headed home, & in the driveway buy 11am.

All in all? For it being VERY crowded we had a great time. Didnt get to show Juan everything there was to offer, but he said it was real fun. He enjoyed the nostalgic way the park is themed, ( he is from Florida ) his favorite parts were the Giant Swing & the cave. FITH got his attention because he didnt know what to expect, i had told him that Baldknobbers try to reach out & grab you. He fell for it!! I am glad my duaghter & him both had a good time.

I made alil' video of pics from our trip, some pics may be fuzzy, & i didnt take too many pics because i was trying to be Mr. Tour Guide all at the same time. I didnt wanna be rude & have to stop all the time. But, Enjoy anyways!! If theres no music it is because i just borrowed music from YouTube & its still downloading, sometimes it takes awhile.

See ya all soon!!   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1wB6Yast0

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 21, 2011, 04:40:01 PM »
wow nice video and looks like ya had alot of fun,

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 21, 2011, 05:50:41 PM »
WoW!!  nice trip,  sounds like 1 of whirlwind trips~!  glad all went well, and the weather was decent.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 21, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
Hey How-do, I saw you went to Pizza By The Chef after your SDC visit.   When I lived there, the Candy Factory kids would all go there and eat quite a bit.   Was it still pretty good?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 21, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
We stop by Pizza By The Chef when we take our annual family trip. Food is good, and service is always good, it is never too crowded.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 21, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »
Good to know it's still good.   That's the first place I ever had a margherita pizza