Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 159870 times)

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #360 on: August 12, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
Sorry I know this is kinda late
Went to the park on the Aug 5th.
Got there about 9am was not very crowded started off by having breakfast at Molly's as usually very good and not lot of people which was kinda nice. After breakfast went to the square for the opening ceremony it is nice and not often any more to go some where and have so many people still recite the Pledge of Allegiance. After that went walked down and was able to get on wildfire pretty quick. I think this was the first time that I had ridden it at the very front , that is a new experience. After that visited a couple shops and just kinda walked around and enjoyed the park. I did go on the train and as usually was very good. The robbery did not contain anything about Ma being on the train and only had 3 cars. Afterward I did ask the conductor and he said their were a couple issues. First the cut the skit a little short because of the heat and was trying to keep people from sitting on the train and station for only so long. Second apparently the engine was having trouble holding pressure so they did not want to stop for to long and that was the reason for only three cars.
After the train had a late lunch at Wagon Works I always kinda forget about that place food was very good. Then again I do not think I have ever had bad food at the park.
By this time it was starting to get a very warm. I was talking to the blacksmith and he was telling me that they were saying the asphalt was at about 120 degrees , though he said on Wednesday it had gotten to about 140 and that they actually stopped the rides due to the heat.
One thing I have to mention is that I visited the pottery store and had asked about the chances since my 9th anniversary is coming up to do a special vase and have a small inscription put on the bottom. The lady told me she was not sure but to come back and talk to to Jeff Walker who is the Master Craftsman. So after about an hour came back and talked to Jeff very nice guy and told me no problem he would be happy to do it and that he would do it himself. I could pay for it when it was done and pick it up in Sept. when we would be down there for our anniversary. I thanked him very much. How many places can you get to do something like that for you that is hand made. I have said it before and say it again Silver Dollar City has no comparison when comes to the people that work there.
After that I had one more mission I was wanting to find one of the small cork pop guns for my son since he did not come with me this time. After going to every store that normally I though would carry it I just could not find it. Finally I asked someone at the toy store that had worked at SDC for awhile since I thought some might not know what I was talking about. Apparently the last shipment that they had gotten was very bad and were breaking and because of this they were not going to get anymore. My reply is that maybe it had something to do with WHERE they were getting them (CHINA). I actually still have one from when I was little and it was made here and it sill works. Also I noticed that the old pioneer guns that they have are not even made of real wood anymore some kind of cheap plastic crap, very disappointed in this. So ended up buying a flooded mine shirt since that is his favorite ride granted that was made elsewhere but the choice are few.
Headed back to the condo and called it a good day.
on Saturday when back for moonlight madness got there about 8 pm parked in the preferred lot the lot guys were going so that was free. I had decided it may be 6 dollars to park there but I rather walk to the park now then take the non green tram. Anyway walked around the park mostly since the lines were just so long did not try to go on the rides. The only ride I almost went on was the giant barn swing but when it was our turn the lighting started so they shut it down. At this point thought it might be better to head out but first had to stop at Hanna's for a shake and then headed out. As I walked out the area for the tram was packed due to the rain that was coming. Another reason I rather walk, did get to see an impressive lighting show as I walked back and got very luck because as soon as I got in my truck it just poured. So for my first moonlight madness it was not to exciting since I did not get to do to much but i was kinda different walking around the park that late. I will try again next year.
All and all good times

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 13, 2011, 08:10:07 AM »
Nice.  Sounds like a positive trip.

though break on the cork guns.  ( no pun intended)

It never fails to amaze me how different the city looks at nite during OTC.!

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 13, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »
Sounds like you all had fun!! Can't wait to head back down this Saturday ( August 20th). Not looking forward to the long lines and possible crowded conditions that are being expected for that day, but still ready to get back.
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 13, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »
Like your new avatar, Bobber!
I'm Your Huckleberry

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »
Thanks, We had it taken back in April when we visited after our newest was born. Wife hates having her pic taken, but decided we finally needed to get a family pic taken and so we decided to have it done while we were at the City.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »
Nice review jmc75.  We were at SDC as well that day.  We were also at the park Thursday, August 4th.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
Jeff is a great addition and does great work. If yu would like to see more of his work visit him here

http://www.bestofmissourihands.com/jeffwalker.htm
http://www.woodenstonegallery.com/artists/JWC.html

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 14, 2011, 02:35:21 PM »
Here is a link to my Flikr account. Pics are from our day trip to SDC back in July. Couldn't get them to load to the site photo albumn so here is the next best thing. After the SDC pic are some pics of Dog Patch and the old Hee Haw Theater in Branson. Enjoy.lhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/robertburton620/

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 14, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
Really enjoyed looking through your pics bobber620. Had a lot of good shots!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 14, 2011, 06:05:39 PM »
Great photos

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 16, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
That's exactly how I remember Mutton Hollow. Wish I had taken more pictures as a kid. I never got to go to Dogpatch

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #371 on: August 16, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
Saturday August 13th we visited the park with about 10 friends. Had more company than I did BAF's but I did have my $15 coupon from the times. As we were waiting in line for the others to purchase tickets a lady comes up and asks if we want 2 BAF's, says she can't give them away. Score! Since I already have 6, plus the 2 we picked up, and one of our guests was under 4, plus the coupon, we got 9 friends into the park for $32! Not 5 minutes later someone else comes by asking if we have any extra tickets. That struck as a little rude to say the least. I have no problem giving them away if I don't need them, but I wouldn't go to an amusement park (or anywhere else for that matter) and trying to "hustle" some free passes from paying customers. Anyhoo, in we go, it's about 10:30 and about an hour later than I wanted it to be. We split up in to about 3 groups, the teens hitting the rides and we went to the homestead and milled around a bit. Got to see the log hewer for the first time. Didn't say much, or really even acknowledge that I was watching him, but maybe that's just the way he is. I didn't start conversation with him either, so I'm not going to pass judgement. Took the small people thru grandpa's mansion, half doller holler, flooded mine, then a couple of us rode TNT while the others hit the magic show. Lines were surprisingly short for what I was expecting for a Saturday with great weather, and considering the way the parking lot and trams looked. Then we headed over to GE for some more small rides, while there I noticed ES was shut down. Stayed there about 45 minutes or so and it still was not running when we left the area. Got a snack there at the GE area and met up with the rest of the group. My wife and I decided to take the 2 smallest ones back to the campground about 1:30 (great to be a passholder and come and go as you please isn't it?) and the rest of the bunch returned around 4:30. They said PK had one train down and the line got horrendous, then they closed the whole thing for some reason. Also RB was closed the entire time they were there, said a park attendant was riding in one boat by himself when they were getting ready to leave, so maybe it was getting ready to reopen. Not a good showing for the rides that day, but everyone had a blast anyway.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »
Sounds like you had a pretty good trip. I am hoping everything will be up and running for our trip down this Saturday( Aug 20) I am afraid though that the place is going to be pretty well packed,as I have it on good authority that a very large group of people will be descending on the park that day. How do I know you may ask? LOL . Well the St. Johns Hospital in Springfield is holding it's employee type get together at the City on the 20th so you will have that group of people( minus those how are working that day), plus I understand that they have this year elected to also loop in the employees of the St. Johns Hospital in Joplin, and all of there subordinate offices, and rural outreaches as well ,so there is another large group of people, plus the employees are allowed to bring members of their immediate families as well, so that on top of a normal business day for the City may end up making for an especially crowded day at the Park. Still hoping for a good day at the park though.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 17, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »
"""making for an especially crowded day at the Park. Still hoping for a good day at the park though."""

Come on Bobber, you know any day at SDC is a  GREAT day!!

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 17, 2011, 01:33:34 PM »
That is very true!!! Sorry lost my mind there for a minute. What I ment to say was "Even though it may be a very busy day, as long as you have your health, your family , and Silver Dollar City it is going to be a great day. " ;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:34:12 PM by bobber620 »