Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 158627 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #330 on: July 27, 2011, 12:32:33 PM »
My buddy (who wanted to head to the City before he headed to Qatar) arrived around 10am, redeemed the $15 bring a friend coupon (Thanks SDC!!!) and made it into the park about 10:45. We stopped by Brown's to sample the Pecan brittle, and scouted out his purchases for later in the day. We rode Thunderation (front car) which was pretty good, and then headed over to Wildfire (back car). There was a group of several hundred "Champion 11" church youth groupers in the park, so the line was out of the queue and down the sidewalk towards the Saloon. So we headed to the swing instead. After this vomit inducing swing we decided to have some fun on the Silos. We rode Lost River, and honestly stayed pretty dry despite the ride, coupled with the sweltering heat and spray fans in the 40 min line. Next we headed to the Flooded Mine, and unfortunately our guns did not reset upon entrance into the mine/ ride.
After a little basic math, he won. Thankfully he will be defending our nation, not me-he is a MUCH better shot.

We stopped for lunch, and he wanted to find what he had two years ago...and then he chose something else. He had the Chicken Fried Chicken from the Potato skillet location, and I deviated from my usual bowls for lunch. I...being a BBQ fan, went for a BBQ sandwich. I was able to order a 1/2 Brisket, 1/2 pulled pork sandwich with a side of baked beans. Pulled Pork was by far MUCH better. For dessert we hit up the Taffy shop and my friend proceeded to by 1 lb and by the end of the day...only had 1/2 lb left! We, being mature , right minded adults, HAD to sample the strawberry wildfire. WOW was it hot! They also had a new flavor "Tiger Mix" which was a mix of cherry, peach, and maybe strawberry?. It was pretty good.

We hit FITH and got pretty wet in the splash at the end, then rode Powderkeg, then the log flume, and got soaked, and that was it for the rides. We walked through several shops, and stopped by the lisen to the knifesmith. This was a new face for me, and he was GREAT. Great story teller, biggest crowd I can remember at the shop, and he was funny and nice, unfortunately I did not catch his name, but if you see a new face, stop by! this guy is a great addition to SDC.

After the browsing of shops, and the purchase of fudge we left for the day. Overall saw 2 former students, and a co worker from here in StLouis!
Modern country music was playing during the day on several of the rides-Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Leann Rimes, etc
After a 4 hour drive, including a stop at the World's Largest Rocking Chair near St James, we were home. Much more tired than when we left in the morning, but very thankful to have had a day like today.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 27, 2011, 12:42:20 PM »
Great review, Rube....glad you enjoyed the day.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sparkles2179

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 27, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
 ;D.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 27, 2011, 03:33:53 PM »
just wanted to detail so a.) I don;t forget the happenings, and b.) in case anyone wanted to know more about something we saw/ did.

No shows were in session this day unfortunately, we more than likely would have hit up the dog show, or high wire act to cool off, and see some great entertainment...but nope!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 27, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
just wanted to detail so a.) I don;t forget the happenings, and b.) in case anyone wanted to know more about something we saw/ did.

No shows were in session this day unfortunately, we more than likely would have hit up the dog show, or high wire act to cool off, and see some great entertainment...but nope!

You'll have to try to go back and catch the Lumberjack Show in the fall.  I know I'm looking forward to it!  Glad you had a great time and (hopefully) got more pictures for "Where in the City"!
I'm Your Huckleberry

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 27, 2011, 06:56:29 PM »
Yah, I had to stock up since I will not be back to the park again for the longest duration I have gone in nearly 10 years....I will not be back for a scheduled visit until the beginning of next season....No Fall Fest, No Christmas.....sad day leaving yesterday knowing that, but with everything else we have planned, I might have the luck of getting away for a day somewhere but I doubt it. Being an artist, I would have liked to have seen the street artists.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 27, 2011, 08:49:53 PM »
Well, if they HAVE to have modern music, at least it was country. Was there any music that *wasn't* country? And it was during the day? Before 6pm & Moonlight Madness "officially" starts for the day?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 27, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »
Just country. I heard it so loudly at Powderkeg through their sound system. Other areas had bluegrass playing as usual, but this was aroungd 1:00pm...NOT the Moonlight whatsoever.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 27, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
glad you had a good visit.  will for sure check out the knifesmith next weekend.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 27, 2011, 09:59:26 PM »
I'd prefer them not to play modern music at the rides before 5pm during MM, but at least it's country. Anyone been to SDC after 5pm during MM this year? Is the music still oldies and stuff like that?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #340 on: July 27, 2011, 11:18:56 PM »
This has been the one question that I have been waiting for all year long! What type of music is being played at Moonlight Madness? :D

Hopefully someone can chime in soon with the official answer.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 31, 2011, 01:40:04 AM »
"My buddy (who wanted to head to the City before he headed to Qatar)"

Small world Rube.  My wife's relatives just came in from Qatar for a visit.  They have lived there for a year now and are on vacation back in the U.S.

Also, just made it back from SDC on Tuesday.  We had a great time at MM.  The park was great and the  rides had two to three cars running.  Although the swing was just running one side making for a semi-long wait. We were disappointed that most of the food shops were closed down rather quickly, but I guess that is because they are only leased spaces by the park.  Seems like a missed opportunity for additional income though.  

I like MM and hope they extend it for future seasons.  It is the only way the family will brave the July heat and crowds.  I guess MM makes for a pale replacement for Celebration City for our family.  We used to love to jump in the car and head down on a moments notice during July for the night time coolness.  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:40:54 AM by rubedugans »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 31, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »
The food is run by the park to my understanding, and only select vendors are ope during the MM festivities. I was looking foreward to riding at night, but after 8 straight hours of riding, I was ready to sit for a bit (I am no spring chicken anymore apparently!) Maybe next year!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 31, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »
Next we headed to the Flooded Mine, and unfortunately our guns did not reset upon entrance into the mine/ ride.

Seems like I heard before there is a trick you can do to make your gun reset but I can't remember what it is.  Does anyone else know?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:44:41 PM by rubedugans »
I'm Your Huckleberry

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #344 on: July 31, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »
Bang it a few times on the side of the boat, or drop it in the water?

Teasing! Just teasing. :)