Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 159777 times)

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #315 on: July 17, 2011, 11:37:54 PM »
well....sort of.  But whatever else is in it makes up for it.  I'm not a big fan of olives either, but that stuff is tasty.  I was just wondering what it would be like on a plain old ham and cheese sandwich.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 19, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »
Hubby and I went to the city on 7/14.  Got there just after opening.  Used the coupon for the apple turnover.  The nice lady in the shop cut it in half and put apple butter on it -- very tasty!  Looked in some of the shops and ended up at FITH.  Had to wait about 15 minutes to ride. Seemed like there was less music than usual during the ride.

Then went over to the Opera House for the Wallendas show.  Show actually started 15 minutes early with a warm-up act by the emcee.  The Dancing Gauchos were pretty good as was the hula hoop woman.  The aerial artist on the hoop was okay.  But the Wallendas were fantastic!  From where we sat we could see their facial expressions and hear them talk to each other during the act.  Was a very entertaining show and one of the best we've ever seen at KidsFest.

Ate some more using our coupons and went to the Boatworks for the Pure Heart show.  The Dockside Theater and the Riverside Playhouse were both dark that day (guess there were less shows in order to pay for the Wallendas).  Went to the Flooded Mine and it was my lucky day -- I hit several of the big point targets and set a personal record -- 409,500 points!  My husband usually beats me substantially but he has never had a score higher than 250,000. I was so excited! ;D

After that we rode TNT and left about 1:30.  Was starting to get really hot and we needed to go to Springfield to take care of some business.  Enjoyed my visit but wish we could have stayed the rest of the day to ride the water rides.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #317 on: July 19, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »
Thanks for the trip review biscuitcreek! :)

A part of the day at Silver Dollar City is always better than no day! It sounds like you, and your husband had a great time. I am glad to hear those coupons are really coming in handy. Just talking about apple turnovers makes my mouth water! :P

In reference to Fire in the Hole, are you saying that the theme music was less noticeable, or that the sound effects, and the music was not there as much? Perhaps they had a speaker, or two out. ???

I am glad to hear the Wallendas are really making a splash during Kids Fest this year. I have yet to hear an overwhelmingly negative review of their act.

Way to go on the high score at the Flooded Mine! I usually get too distracted to hit the really big numbers. All in all it sounds like a good day trip. 8)

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 20, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »
Hey all, With all the family has been through lately we decided to get out of town and try to have some fun, and were else to do that but SDC. Actually the quick day trip started out with my brother in law calling and asking if he and his girlfriend could take the kiddos down for the day on Sunday July 17th. My wife then decided that since both she and I were off from work that day that we would all just go as a group. We left our home in Columbus Ks. a little later than we expected which ended up putting us arriving at the City at 10:30 insted of 9:30. Crowds weren't tobad and we were able to get into the park pretty quickly even though we were parked near the stop #3 pick up location. Got in super quick with season passes in hand and were on our way to have some fun. First stop was Half Dollar Holler for the kids. All seemed to enjoy themselves and I was glad to see the carousel was back in operation. Next the kids and I took a quick stop in the wood carvers building and the glass blowing factory while my wife broke out the baby food to feed the baby. Then it was off to ride the River Blast. I stayed on dry land to take the family vacation pics and to watch the little one, but everyone else had a good time getting wet and drenching all the land lubbers. Then it was off to the Lost River. Being that it was already in the upper 90s the ride was a refreshing way to cool down. After the Lost River it was time to fed our faces, so to the Rib House we went. Loved the pulled pork sandwhich, as it was as good as always. Family then decided to break up into two groups and check out different parts of the park. The wife,and I and our kids headed down to the Gyser Gulch area and let the kids run wild while we had ourselves a sit down. Once the kids had there fill of GG we headed up to the Grand Exposition area, were the kids were able to get in on all the rides without much waiting time. We then decided to get out of the heat and went in to the Red Gold Heratige Hall to watch the Stunt Dog Show. Before the show they were playing some music and my nephew was jamming out in his chair so some one suggested that he get up and dance so he did. See the video herehttp://youtu.be/jaFIAbp3mWk
 We had a blast watching him, and a nice lady came down to him after it was over and asked if she could give him a dollar. She said to him" You know when you come to a show you expect to pay for good entertainment, and that was some good entertainment." He was very pleased with himself i can tell you.
We then met up with the rest of our group and hit the Lost River again before heading up to the American Plunge and Grand Fathers Mansion. This brought us to about 6:00 at night and we decided it was time to head out. After leaving the park we headed up to Springfield and hit Lamberts for supper. Took us about 20 minutes to get in but it was well worth the wait. After supper we headed home and arrived back at the house around 10:30. We definately filled up our day with fun and I think that it was a fun that we all were in need of with all of the uncertainty that has plauged us lately, and SILVER DOLLAR CITY is a great place to unwind.
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 21, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
Great story, bobber! Sounds like a nice trip to forget your problems!

Hey, you might have a real star there! Chaplin performed when he was a wee one and people through coins at him. Maybe yours should dance in a chair more often!  :o :D ;)
Andymeets1880s

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #320 on: July 21, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »
Thanks for the trip review bobber!

It sounds like you, and your family had a fantastic day trip which is just what the doctor ordered so to speak. I’m not sure if it is the heat, or what, but the crowd levels seem down this summer. Which is great as a visitor, because you are not bumping shoulders all day long.

First Half Dollar Holler, then River Blast, then Geyser Gulch, then Grand Exposition, and finally topping it off with the dog show. What a great day for the kiddos!

Your nephew really knows how to jam out! I am sure lots of people got a kick out of his pre-show entertainment. I love the story about the lady giving him a dollar for his hard work.

Good choice on lunch! Pulled pork sandwiches are always a favorite of mine when I visit Silver Dollar City. Even better choice on dinner! Lambert’s is a great place to unwind after spending an entire day full of adventure.

Wonderful trip review, and cannot wait to here about more good times you, and your family have. :)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 21, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
Was it a silver dollar?
You have a great past just ahead of you.

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 21, 2011, 03:34:16 PM »
No unfortunately it was just good ol' American green. Sure would have made it even more memorable had it been a silver dollar.
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

cocodane3

« Reply #323 on: July 22, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
Funny vid bobber.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 25, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Last Friday, we hit the parking lot about 11:30 am and cleared the HH about Noon.  Decided to try the Springhouse for Italian food to begin the weekend and were quite pleased with the quality and atmosphere.
Then it was down the hill to the Opera House to see the Wallendas (with a side trip for the boys to do FitH first--the music was loud and clear outside, and the cemetery was open).  Everyone enjoyed the Wallendas although I don't think MY heart could have taken much more of the high-wire act.  When the guy called out "Careful, Mom!" I almost fainted. "Mom!"?????
The boys then did LRotO while the wife shopped at Dugans Trading (bought a sundress). 
We headed over to the RG Hall for the Stunt Dog show--a dog-loving family are we!--and then hit the Toy Shop.  (Editorial:  I really wish they'd ditch the Walmart quality toys, not to mention the noisy ones!)
We intended to do a Saloon show, but the a/c broke, and they cancelled the last one of the day.
Then we wandered back to the Rib House for a really good supper.  By then we were about half an hour from closing, but we managed to catch the last train ride of the day.  Because some local thunder had delayed things around 5 or so, the narrative was a bit abbreviated--Ma got left out of the skit, too--but the ride was still fun, and the citizens were very much trying to give a good last performance of the day.
We bought a couple of cookies at Eva & Delilahs’s on the way out, and then it was off the hotel for some rest!
On Saturday, we got to the Park about 8:15 and waited patiently about 12 feet from the head of the line at the entrance.  First stop at 8:30 was Molly’s for a GREAT breakfast buffet.  We caught the opening and then we headed down Homestead Ridge to listen to the Homestead Pickers.  We talked to them after the show and bought a couple CDs.  Turns out they know a group that our family does some period music with at Civil War and Living History events.
We stopped at Granny’s to pick up a supply of Lye Soap—we use it quite a bit; it works as advertised!—and then did the leather shop and Mountain Outfitters.  My wife got a new belt, and my son ought a backpack.
Then it was down the hill for FitH again for the wife and the younger boy.  When they were done, we caught the first Saloon show.  We ended up buying the pics of the saloon girl embarrassing the boys. ;-)
We walked back up the hill—hey!  We needed the exercise!—to go to the Pizza Buffet at the Reunion hall, but the line was about as long as the one for LRoTO, so we instead circled down to Aunt Polly’s—yeah, yeah, I know:  by the time we got there, we’d probably have been eating pizza ;-)
Then it was HOT, so the younger boy did LRotO again, and both did the River Blast, one in a boat, the other on the shore, both very wet.  My wife also browsed in the Mercantile.

Then it was time for the train (more complete narrative this time, but Ma was still left out) and the FM (decent sound quality) and a visit to love my country (where my older son bought some pins and stickers of the 82nd and 101st AB, for my dad fought in both units during WWII).   
Back up top, we decided to try pizza again after watching the log hewing for a while, and there was no line at that point  (The pizza was blah).  Afterwards, we hit the General Store and Jepp’s, where my wife bought a light top to go with the sundress.  The younger boy got a marionette, and it was then time to leave. 
We got a box of cinnamon rolls at Eva & Delilah’s for Sunday morning breakfast at home, and left the lot for home a 7:00, getting home 2 hours and 15 minutes later.

Some general impressions:  Friday was busy; Saturday was CROWDED.  The heat made most folks just a bit crabby.  We escaped just as the nighttime crowd was coming in for the beginning of Moonlight Madness and as the quality of the music was degenerating.  The shows were all great!  I tried to give my older son to Mr. M. Balmer for measuring, but the hard-headed teenager wouldn’t stand still long enough ;-)  he was creeped out by Terry’s eyes—easy enough to believe!  Most of the citizens were in good form, a few seemed harassed by the crowds and blunted by the heat, all perfectly understandable.  A little bit of thunder shut things down both days, but no real hardship for us.  The clouds brought some most welcome cooling.  All in all, a great time!  If the mechanic leaves us some cash after getting some car repairs this week, my wife and I are heading back down this Friday for a couple days at the city without the boys and a Jacuzzi in the hotel room ;-)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 25, 2011, 10:28:31 AM »
WOW!!!   now thats a trip review!!

sounds like all went well for you, congrats.

thats great about your son buying the pins. Too many americans forgetting about what our freedom really costs us all!!  THANKS TO YOU VETS!!! ;D

I would like to know why they have dropped "mom" from the train robbery. Make the rider shorter?  offended somebody?  what?

Thanks for the great review!  good luck this weekend with the jacuzzi!!! ;) ;)

Oh yea! and good luck with your trip back to the city too!! ;)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 26, 2011, 10:02:53 PM »
I have been to SDC 10 times this season and have not written a review even once..  I am really bad at reviews.  But I looked around on here today and noticed no one has mentioned that the Copper Artist is gone.  He has taken ill and his wife had been doing it by herself.  She said she was not able to do it on her own and has closed up shop.  I was wondering what we here on the fan site think should go in that spot next.   I personally think the dulcimer shop should move there. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sparkles2179

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 26, 2011, 11:44:27 PM »
Made my first trip to SDC in three years on Monday.  Having read some of the previous forum discussions on here I kinda knew what to look forward to.  However once in the park that all went out the window because I was having too much fun just being there again.  I loved it!!  My five yr old son was finally old enough (or big enough) to ride most of the rides I like to ride (the big roller coasters are too much for me,  give me headaches.)  I thought he would be all about the big kid rides but it turns out he wasn't. lol  He rode everything at least once (he can't ride ES,  WF,  and GS) couldn't get him on PK but I can't blame him I don't like that one either.  Anyways FITH we rode twice and I noticed the changes...the music was loud and the new scenes looked pretty good but what I noticed the most was the amount of water they were using in the splash down.  It was a lot and it was great....I do hope they can find a way to keep that fixture because I loved it!  I have a slight gripe with AP,  the ride was fun and I got wet but my kid was scared of the LOOONG dark tunnel.  Can't we do something in there?  I mean there used to be little scenes in there now there is nothing and I kept having the feeling that something was gonna jump out at me lol.  There was also nasty brown foam and sudsy looking stuff circulating in the "whirlpool" scene and the guy's head was totally gone,  it was a little gross and weird lol.  They water was nice and cold though and felt good!  My brother talked me in to riding the Giant Swing for the first time,  I opted out the last time I was there.  It was terrifying!!  Yet it was fun,  I screamed the entire time!  I have to admit though that the best time the whole family had was on River Blast!  We were drenched to the bone after that!  A lot of fun on that ride.  I got a lot more (I mean a ton more) wet on the River Blast than on LROTO.  Kind of let down by the lost river,  didn't get hardly wet at all.  Still fun though!!  We rode the train after that,  that was one of the best trips on the train.  The hold up scene was as I remembered it, nearly word for word.  However the kid playing Alphie was GREAT,  very cute job!  He really interacted with the crowd and the conductor forgot what day it was and "lost it" and Alphie's "mom" claimed him and had the whole group doing impromptu,  very funny!  It was all they could do to hold it together to get through the scene.  It was great! I did notice that the roof of the trains are showing their age,  the wood is bowing and rotting in places under the red paint.  But I easily looked past it and had fun.  I was also a little dismayed by the Cajun Connection show,  it was so short and no where near the production it used to be in the Riverfront Playhouse.  It was still good and we bought 2 CD's.  It's still the only show I will watch.  It was almost 8pm when we finally made it out of the park and we got there just after opening ceremonies.  I feel like I didn't get it all in.  That's the trouble with only doing a one day trip this year.  Didn't have that feeling when we had the passes.  Maybe with the kids getting older (hopefully my 2 yr old can ride more next yr) we can buy passes next season.  I knew I missed it but didn't realize how much.  It's always been one of my fav places on earth.  The drive up from Springdale,  AR seemed much faster now with all the new roadways they have built.  We didn't eat in the park,  we brought sandwiches and went to the car for lunch (which is fine because they food is too expensive and there's not much flavor to it) but we did get some alligator jerky up by PK and it was good!  I love the help yourself ICEE stations,  Coke ICEE's are the best!!  They shops should stay open late with the park because we all got so caught up in riding that we missed buying some stuff we wanted to buy.  There's always next time!  All in all I had a blast and my son fell in love with the park,  he cried when we left.  :-[  Maybe next time I will feel better taking my youngest down into the cave (didn't want to have to carry him through it) and we can make more time for Grandfather's Mansion.  I can't wait to go back,  hopefully we can afford season passes next yr.  SDC....we loved you!!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 27, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »
Great review! I didnt see any Flooded Mine visit in that report! :o :o :o

Shame! :'(

Just joking! Maybe next time! ;)
Andymeets1880s

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 27, 2011, 10:23:16 AM »
here you go andy!  dont want to wonder about it.

We got in the boats, they sent us on our way,
we floated around and around shooting targets. 
The "dummies" could still use new clothing! 
music was the same as always.. 
All in all a nice relaxing cool ride

;D