Author Topic: Craftsman Downsizing  (Read 12188 times)

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Craftsman Downsizing
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
Whew...my opinion here may get me banned for life from SDC fans...but here goes...

I think I like the idea of the wood carver and the christmas store switching places.  I totally agree that craftsman selling hand made items are more critical to the aura of SDC than a shop that sells items made in china, but I think the layout of the christmas hollow store (the old toy store) may be better than the layout of the woodworking building.  I always thought that the current wood working building was a little odd...upon entry you immediately had to decide to go upstairs or down, upstairs there didn't seem to be much going on except the sale of the finished carvings and downstairs there were craftsman at work, but they seemed to be stuck in an out of the way corner in the basement.  As an amateur wood carver myself I enjoyed talking to the craftsman and walking through the store, but it seemed like I had to make a trip there rather than just happening to walk by.  If I were one of the SDC craftsman I think I'd be excited about being in a store with an open floor plan and all one level, rather than to be tucked back in the corner of the basement.  I also think the location of the christmas store better lends itself to the wood carving...it's on the same "intersection" as the wood turner and furniture store.  Both of which have demonstrations of wood working at regular times throughout the day.  It's also just a stone's throw away from the leather store and gun/knife store.  I know that christmas hollow/the old toy store has less square footage, but I really think it's a better layout than the current wood carving building.  Lastly I just love the area of the park where christmas hollow is located...I enjoyed that part of the park as a child and have wonderful memories of going through the tree house and then playing in the toy store (before it was the christmas store).  In recent year's I can think of many relaxing fall afternoons in that area where I sat eating a sandwich outside Big Jack's while watching acorns fall and enjoying the people watching.  I respect SDC for doing what they need to do.  It sounds like christmas hollow is a cash cow and needs more space.  I understand that and I hope that it's increased profitability will help to keep SDC open and profitable in these tough economic times.  I'm glad we aren't reading news alerts about how SDC is closing the wood carvers in favor of "Christmas Hollow Part 2."  I think those of us who value the craftsman at SDC will continue to seek out their wares and talents.  If SDC needs to move around a few stores to maximize traffic flow (and income) so that more consumers (suckers) buy souvenirs (made in china junk)...then so be it.  I'd like to point out that to walk past E&D's bakery (where "craftsman" bakers are making homemade treats) you have to pass through a lot of items not made in america while walking through the hospitality house and ozark marketplace.  It's a bummer I know to have to have changes to our beloved SDC, but as long as the craftsman are still on park (even in a smaller building) I can live with it if the changes help SDC to be more profitable...heck, they've got to pay for this monster 2013 project somehow.
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »
I like the diverse opinions that we have! Thank you for posting your thoughts on the topic. You brought up some valid points. I just am not fond of change.  :)
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »
It's definitely good to point out that the floor plan is better in CH, but the fact remains that it will be something like less than half of the space they had before. I don't even know that they'll be able to set up more than a couple tiny demonstrations and still be able to fit any merchandise in. Maybe it's bigger than I think without all the Christmas stuff in there, but I'm sure they'll have to do some heavy downsizing, maybe even laying off one or more of the demonstrators. We'll have to wait until opening day for a final opinion.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »
You threw me there for a moment, shave...I was thinking I was dreaming about making a post.  I wouldn't really call this a "downsizing," though it will be different for them.

I agree with Kentucky Optimist on this one.  It's a good move for both.  There is plenty of space in the new location for the woodcarvers to display all that they do.  Back in the day, when they had two or three carvers working at the same time, they needed a larger area.  Used to be that you'd see one carving something smallish like a hillbilly, while another was carving something largish like an Indian holding cigars, while another was doing something else.  They don't work on projects like that anymore.  Now-a-days, at any given time, you might see one carver, working on one of the mantels and specialty doors that people special order.  You can't blame them for pushing the big ticket items, but I do miss watching them carve the hillbillies and then being able to buy it right out of their hand.  They'll do fine in their new location once people realize they've moved, and Christmas Hollow will as well.    
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"