Author Topic: Chapter about SDC in a christian fiction novel  (Read 2614 times)

NebFan

• View Profile
Chapter about SDC in a christian fiction novel
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »
There is a book called Love finds you in Branson,Missouri,and there is a chapter where they visit SDC. The author lives in Arkansas,and did research for the book,but some of the info for Sdc did not seem right. They were calling the flooded mine Abandoned Mine,and talking about FITH,as if it was a outside ride,and calling the cave Marble Cave. They had a picture on back of the book of the SDC sign with the ax when you enter the park. Has anyone else seen or read the book?

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter about SDC in a christian fiction novel
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »
Marvel Cave was originally called Marble Cave, after explorers in 1882 saw what they thought was marble on the cave's ceiling. This started the Marble Cave Mining Company, although later it was realized that there was never any marble in the cave. The Marble Cave Mining Company ceased all operations after only four and a half years. William Lynch purchased the cave in 1889, and soon after opened the cave to the public. In 1950, Hugo Herschend leased the cave for 99 years. The Herschends made renovations to the cave, and later opened a theme park, Silver Dollar City, on the surface above the cave. Marvel Cave is known for being one of the largest caves in Missouri, having one of the largest cave entry rooms (the Cathedral Room) of any cave in North America, and for being one of the longest running tourist attractions in the Ozarks.

The other items I cant verify but my guess would be some names and events had to be altered due to copyright issues.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »
First I heard of this but apparently there's an entire series of these: http://lovefindsyou.wordpress.com/about/

On first glance, looks a lot like the Love's Enduring Promise series on Hallmark that my wife enjoys.

"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:51:59 PM »
I've read a few of them when they came up for free on my Kindle. They're by different authors; some are historical and some are contemporary settings. They're ok books. I've not read this one, but I'll be on the lookout for it.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"