Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 159775 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
2011 Trip Reviews
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »
Please use this thread to discuss your recent visits to SDC and tell us anything new/interesting you saw or experienced.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:05:05 PM »
I posted a trip report under the "Happy SDC Opening Day" thread. Photos posted on my Flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 04:59:14 PM »
Well, folks, I was hoping some of our faithful friends here would have posted some trip reviews from Friday and Saturday. Anyone make a trip this weekend? I'm eager to read your first impressions for the 2011 season. My opening day trip was fun. Great to walk the park and see everything again. However my legs are still sore!  :)  Remember to post photos. Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »
tomorrow night, and i will have some pics if i can get them to load..

Still jealous of you and your opening day trip!!

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:33:28 AM »
I noticed in Junior's pictures that there is a new "You have a great past ahead of you" sign at the entry way. Sure wish I could have the old one!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:38:28 AM by haytater »

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:55:45 AM »
Here's a pic review on my flicker.  i spent most of my time visiting with the "old timers", many of you that are regulars should notice this:  SDC has gone through a huge change of employees, the past couple of weeks.  Without the loyal to the character of SDC among the employees, it'd be just another amusement park.  All in all, opening day was a blast.  The longest line was PK & FITH.  Lots of new signage, roofs, floors, a couple new stands/buildings...Headed back today!  :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/sets/72157626179880693/
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »
wow, neat'o! cool to see some of them behind the scenes of the park shots. & really weird to see a vehicle in the streets of SDC!  ;)
Live life like it's the last day!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Great pics Tinmann...Appreciate the posting :)
Colorado SDC Fan

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 04:11:56 PM »
Wow...thanks for the pictures. What was the "add on" space behind the Mine/Mill complex? I could see what was left of the old stone foundation. How will the new room/s be used?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »
Lighting fast trip to the park today.
I arrived at 10:25 to a long line of traffic down Indian Point road, it was back up the hill towards 76 but moved at a very rapid pace.  I decided to preferred park as I had my little dog with me and wanted to be close.  The line for paid/preferred parking was a double line and not single as it has been in the past. If you encounter this go to the right.  They have a roll out cart with a register and its moves much faster than the inside lane.
Upon entering the park they had every turn style open and it moved very quickly, no back up at all.
We walked onto the square and  felt that they had enlarged the public area by moving some of the flower beds back. ( We may have been mistaken but it felt more open).
There was no entertainment on the grandstand at any time when we were near the square.  We made our way down to HDH via the swinging bridge and as I suspected there is no more wilderness to this area, it seemed very busy on both sides with the swings and then the street on the right and the play area on the left.  I did a little investigating of the play area it was well done and very busy.  The Bear shop was nicely done and I feel a good addition to the area.  There is a lot of life down that lane now.

It was approx 11 and we passed AP, they were just opening, WF had little to no line with 2 trains running.

Down towards FITH the new chip stand looks great, NOTE: they no longer serve the chicken fajita skillet they now serve another potato based option and I believe a Philly cheese.  Bad news for no carb diet folks. 
FITH was backed up all the way to the street.
Powder Keg down.
Nobody on the RB.
The swing had 1 arm running and the line literally snaked out of the building ( I don’t understand this)
Skipped the swing.
They did some work on the inside of the creek towards the LROTO, looks to me like they poured a slurry with stones in it on all the flat areas where water flowed ( people slipping?)
Walking up towards the WB ( moment of silence) they pushed the fence back from the street all the way to the ride tower tripling the common area here, great move!.
Up and to the left towards the GE I noted the new funnel cake ice cream stand, it was a great addition. They removed a game for this.  Honestly I think they could replace all the games in that area with food stands creating a “ food court” and I would be happy as I could be. I really think the games are cheap and “ Six Flags” like.
Heading back up towards the square I passed the new trees they planted near the horse bridge.  They planted some LARGE trees. 
Up to the square again I also noted that in front of the mill was more open than I remembered.
I am not sure if anyone else noted this or if it was just me but also it seemed that they have removed some of the larger trees from the square area………( anyone have any input on this…was it just me?)
They did improve the flow of the HH, the snack bar is gone, clothing shelves and t-shirts in its place.
Nothing seemed changed in the OM on the way out.

I walked away feeling like they were trying to do things quickly,  there is sometimes unnecessary backup at the entrance and while parking but this visit it ran fast, as did the trams.
I am looking forward to WF in April.  I will be able to really spend a day during the festival, this was a fast trip but that’s what Seasons Passes are for.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 08:37:04 PM »
Great report, mh.  You've given me some things to look for, next week.

Has anyone seen the "quote sign" from the old smoking area that was removed for HDH?  Remember there is a running competition for the first to spot it (if it's still anywhere at all).
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 12:12:04 AM »
We arrived home this evening after spending 4 days/3 nights at SDC for opening weekend. We had a great time. I'll try to write a detailed report soon.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:38:12 AM »
I will also do a more detailed report later for now though.  here is a pic of the  new foodstand, 25 minute line for FITH, and couple of pics of AP, geyser gulch

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 09:15:46 AM »
25 minute line for FITH
I was really surprised at that line, I am thankful for a seasons pass and my frequency of visiting as I didn't feel bad skipping it.
But man that was long.
Was PK closed all day? it was in the morning......

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
We had a very unexpected trip to SDC on Friday.  We had not planned on being there until April 22, but my DH was off on Friday so I took an unplanned day off we loaded up the car and took off. 
The kids were most surprised! 
We arrived about 10:30 and traffic was backed up a little onto 76 but things moved quickly.  We were able to get through the preferred parking line relatively quickly (and whoever said stay to the right in that line was correct in our experience also).  We had the kids strollered and were in the gates before 11:00.
We went straight to HDH. First impression is that we are going to be spending a lot of time there this summer.  However there are some issues that need to be worked out.  1. They need signage or an employee telling people where the stroller parking and extra benches are.  Because the parking area is not visible from the entrance people park the strollers in the street and walkway.  IT really jammed things up there.  2. The parents and employees should not allow children to play in the rocks at the slide landing.  Even if they are “behind” the slide.  Redirect the kids over to the sand area. 3. The measuring station is not well placed now.  I will get into this more in a second.   My kids are 4.5 and 2.5.  The first time through the houses I went with them.  The older one took off and was through it twice before the younger one was through the first time.  After a couple more times we started letting them go through on their own.  About the time I thought to myself that they should have been through I heard my son (2.5) screaming in the houses.  So I ran up the exit stairs to see him up at the top (in the middle house) crying.  The SDC employee was apologizing for him being so upset.  I guess she walked over and grabbed his hand to try to measure him.  I showed him her name tag and explained that since she had a SDC sign and her name there she was okay to talk to.  As I am calming him down the employee tells me that she still needs to measure him.  So we do and he is more than tall enough to be in it by himself.  After  that he is done.  My daughter really wanted to ride the carousel but it was broken down so we decided we would come back later.
Headed on to the GE.  Got nachos and popcorn at the Lady Liberty stand then went to the measuring station.  DD was over 42 and DS was over 36.  (HOORAY FOR ME NOT HAVING TO RIDE THE FROGS ANYMORE!) We took them to the frogs and ladybugs.  Then booked it across to FITH.  Line was full and moved nicely.  DS loved his first ride on it and DD is always happy to see Red Flanders in his long johns.  Headed back over to HDH.  Went through the tree tops a few more times.  Kids rode the LS.  The line area and lack of viewing for this is crappy.  No other way to put it.  They wanted to ride a second time so  I headed up to the swinging bridge to try and get a snap shot.  And given how violently my arms were shaking I got a couple that were decent.  After the LS, and another explanation that the carousel was still broken, we went to FM.  The line was out by the street but moved quickly.  As usual we forgot to park the stroller by the exit and instead hoofed it back up the hill to get that so we could move onto the GE and a family twirl on the Teacups.  Following the teacups we had two kids fighting to stay awake, so we stopped in Browns and picked out suckers then headed to the car.  It was about 3:00 and every parking lot was full as we were leaving. 
Some other things to note:  There is a new ice cream and funnel cake concession at the entrance to GE, the new chip concession at Lumber jack looks nice.  I didn’t have a chance to look around much or go in a single building but everything was clean and freshly painted and generally freshened up.  The Bradford pears were in full bloom and so was the forsythia. 
Now, about the measuring station.  If people need to be measured for PK, WF, FITH, HDH, AP, GE, why can you only measure at GE?  Measuring needs to be more centrally located.  I really liked the way they were running the station on Friday though the two guys in there when we were rolled that line through!   
I do appreciate that fact that they no longer do the trailblazer right inside the turnstiles since that area is such a logjam anyway.
So…that’s it until April 22.  Can’t wait to get back!
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"