Author Topic: Branson Shows  (Read 12843 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Branson Shows
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 09:38:46 PM »
NOAH is going in the new Sights and Sounds Theatre on the Red Route up on the bluff by The Mansion theatre.  You can't miss it, it's huge.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 10:02:53 PM »
I heard some music from The Promise once.  Once was enough for me.  It just wasn't my style.

Sight and Sound theaters are totally not affiliated with The Promise, though.  The website looks interesting, and they could always rotate some of their other shows in there after everyone sees Noah.  That's what it will take to keep it fresh.

Some of the shows are just getting stale.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 05:13:23 PM »
I really enjoy Yakov's billboards. I love seeing them on the way into Branson. I've never seen him though. Shepherd of the Hills is great.

sdcforever

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 09:28:24 AM »
^I saw Yakov for free once when I was like ten years old (about 15 years ago).  He was funny!  He told a lot of jokes about assimilating into American culture.  I especially remember him doing a standup routine about his confusion regarding our "baby powder" and "baby changing stations".  ;D

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 12:55:27 PM »
^ We've never done the show thing in Branson, mainly just SDC when we go. We always talk about seeing Yakov so this fall we might have to do that. Thanks for the review!

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »
I saw a few shows last week while in Branson.  First of all SIX was one of the best shows I have seen to date.  They were fun, funny and have great voices.  We also say the Balsknobbers.  I think I will always love this show.  Hargas Marcel is just too funny.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »
^I have heard that SIX is a really awesome show. I've wanted to see it for awhile now.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 02:05:25 AM »
I have heard mixed reviews when it comes to the Noah show. Some love it and other said it was alright. I haven’t heard of anyone saying that it was a bad show though. I have seen the Promise, just because I have friends in it. As a musical it is alright. I wouldn’t go see it again. Noah looks amazing and I want to see it.

The positives that people have said:
1. Great sets.
2. Vocals are over all great.
3. Cast is wonderful.
4. Theatre is amazing.

The negatives about Noah that people have told me:
1. The show is too long. (2 ˝ hours)
2. The music isn’t that well written.
3. The end is odd because Jesus is suddenly on stage even though the book of Genesis doesn’t mention him being there.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 08:54:29 AM »
^That is really weird they'd put Jesus in the end of the play even though Noah takes place in Genesis. Regardless, the first time I saw the mural in the Ozark Marketplace at SDC I've wanted to see the show really bad.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 05:12:26 PM »
Does anyone know how they pull off the puppetry in this show?  They must employ a ton of people.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 10:00:25 PM »
I don't go see many shows in Branson either.  Maybe one every two years or so.  I see enough entertaining out at SDC that it kinda fills me up, if you know what I mean.

I did see The Promise a number of years ago, and as I recall, thought it was a pretty good production.

I also went to see Noah early in June.  I thought it was pretty good also.  Not Broadway caliber acting by any means, but still pretty decent.  The acting and singing are as good as any you'll see on any Branson stage.  A friend of mine complained about the music also, saying it was nothing but singing dialogue.  But, from my perspective, if the music doesn't further the plot, it's pretty useless and out of place.  After all, it's not musical variety, it's musical theatre.  There were some minor technical issues, mostly transitional, that I hope they iron out.  Jesus at the end of the show didn't really bother me, because there was a clean transition.  The Noah family had their celebration at having been safely led through the flood, the rainbow appeared, and the cast then moved off the stage for the transition to the Jesus part.  Also, I see the relationship between Noah and Jesus.  Noah was the "savior" of the human race in a time of judgment just as Jesus will be when he returns.  The "Jesus" part was included by the Christian producers of the show solely and unabashedly to proclaim the message- Make sure you're ready, for as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be when Christ returns.  Yes, that may be offensive to some, but then, the gospel of Jesus always is.

They do have a very large cast and crew.  They have a couple dozen live animals in the show and when the interior of the Ark is revealed at the opening of the second half, it really is pretty impressive.  They use a lot of "animatronics" to make many of the Ark's inhabitants come to life.  I'd say it is well worth the price of admission to see the show at least once.  Traffic can be an issue because of a relatively short turnaround between shows, so if you go, try to get there about an hour before showtime so as to miss most of the traffic headaches.

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 08:25:35 PM »
I guess I'll break this barrier.  The connection between Noah and Christ is plainly stated in 1 Peter 3:18-21.

For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him. (1 Peter 3:18-21)

I'm not sure how this is linked in the show, but this is certainly how I would do it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 12:47:36 AM »
Good answer.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"