Author Topic: "Dugan" name being brought back to SDC's Riverfront?  (Read 14697 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: "Dugan" name being brought back to SDC's Riverfront?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »
Well,we all know that those lights and that merchandise are out of theme.  You wouldn't have seen that 30 years ago. As Junior would say "NOT IN MISS MARY'S TIME!!!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »
I walked throught there over the weekend.  very "retail" orientated :(

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »

I liked the shell shop that was there.  Maybe ocean oriented merchandise isn't hot anymore.
The new shop is very mall like, nothing at all special, I did look at the sun dresses and the prices were 25.00.  I was told that wasn't high...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
I'm glad the park gave a nod to it's past by naming the shop "Dugan's" but I do wish they at least would have put Ozarks related material or hand crafted items in the shop, at least some, anyway. However, they have to sell merchandise that will make money for them, so I suppose that is why they moved in the direction they did. Good luck to them, I say.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 11:17:23 PM »
I liked the shell shop that was there.  Maybe ocean oriented merchandise isn't hot anymore.

It is interesting you mention that because I always felt the shop was too ocean oriented when it could have focused more on lakes, and rivers, and riverboats.

Either way, I am not sure where Silver Dollar City is going with their new "outlet mall" section there. I mean after all, how many people really go to Silver Dollar City to purchase a generic summer dress?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 07:23:03 AM »
I mean after all, how many people really go to Silver Dollar City to purchase a generic summer dress?

I agree that the shop could have been more inland water oriented.. Maybe they have decided that they can sell those dresses to post wet water riders.  They may be on to something.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 08:14:59 AM »

The new shop is very mall like, nothing at all special, I did look at the sun dresses and the prices were 25.00.  I was told that wasn't high...

MH?  do we want to know why u were looking at sun dresses??   LOL!!??

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 11:27:03 AM »
Maybe they have decided that they can sell those dresses to post wet water riders.  They may be on to something.

Now there is an idea! ;D

And come on sanddunerider everyone knows only a real man, who is comfortable with his masculinity looks at sun dresses. 8) Although granted most guys just peek a look long enough to not run into a rack full of them hanging in the middle of the our path! :o

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »
LOL
You gotta check the prices they are asking when investigating a new offering.
They didnt have my size either just as I suspected....... :P ::) :o ;D

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2011, 02:43:08 PM »
Why do I have to be such a visual person.

The image of a man in a sundress is way too scary for words

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »
Well, unless he shaves his legs...uh, maybe, anyway! (LOL)  :D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2011, 11:30:34 PM »
Well this is the Ozarks, and there have been creatures named Ada Mae that used to run around wild in these parts. ;)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2011, 09:14:35 AM »
Ok!  OK!,  (sorry ladies)...  Guys, I undertsand the long look at a sundress covering a fresh shaven set of legs........................ ;) ;) ;) ;)

LOL  really I am...  LOL!!

"nuf sed!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
Here is a brief DUGAN UPDATE for any that are interested:

I contacted via mail several former Junior Dugans that I'd worked with all those years ago just prior to the May, 2010 50th Anniversary celebration, urging them to visit the park on the anniversary weekend when former employees were invited back for a reunion.

In reviewing photos posted of the reunion, I did notice one Junior, Tony Wagner, appeared to have been at the reunion. One Ruby Dugan, Vivian, whose last name I don't recall, also appeared in some photos. It appears Tony may have moved in 2010 or 2011 from his hometown of Nevada, MO to Fort Scott, Kansas, from stuff I could find on the Internet.

I posted some things about diving bell ride designer Gerald Koogler here, and got a reply from his son, Deleslie, who also was a Junior. "Doc" (Deleslie) said his father was retired now and doing fine. Further attempts to have Deleslie respond have failed.

I contacted diving bell maintenance man, Kevin McPhail earlier this year, but he failed to respond. However, I know he lives in Ste. Genevive, MO and operates his own leatherworking shop.

I heard back from Rick Madison, a former Junior, last year about anniversary time. He sent me a brief email but failed to contact me again when I sent him another email.

I know former Juniors Randy Stowe, Bill "Moose" Hensley, Terry Sanders, Russ Maulden and former maintenance man Kerry Chester all still work at SDC and have enjoyed long careers with the park in various management and support and performance roles. Also, former Junior Bob Nichols is still active in the Branson entertainment scene. He has an interview show on the Branson Vacation Channel.

If you know of anyone connected to the diving bell, please contact them and have them post an update with us. I believe some of the former Juniors are visitors to this site, but "lurk" in the background, checking the forums, but not ever posting. WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! Please give an update as to who you are, where you are at, and what you are up to. Also, any old diving bell or SDC stories are more than welcome here.

;D ;D ;DHOpe to hear from some of you diving bell family members soon! ;D ;D ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2011, 09:25:43 AM »
One other update: former Junior Nick Franke lives in the St. Louis area. I was lucky enough to enjoy sending and recieving several emails to him last year, we were able to fully catch up with each other. He is an attorney and partner in a law firm.
-