Author Topic: "Dugan" name being brought back to SDC's Riverfront?  (Read 14805 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: "Dugan" name being brought back to SDC's Riverfront?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 04:32:29 PM »
If things go as planned...the Dugan Trading Company should open tomorrow (Thursday, May 12th) and if you make it to SDC for the opening day of Bluegrass & BBQ, please take a photo of the opened shop and post it...and please give a description of the shop and what is offered there. Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
They had the outer part of the Dugan Trading Company open on Saturday (the main building was still closed). My friend bought a pretty dress and flower clip. She said the rest of it looked like the building always has: sea-type stuff, shells, pearls, etc.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »
junior, I will try to do that sunday/monday when i am there.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
WOW! Thanks for the photos! I'm glad to see the shop is open. I have been curious about it since I heard what they were going to name it. I must admit, I am disappointed at the selection of merchandise. What is unique about selling dresses you could get at any mall? The other items appear to be costume jewelry and so on. Bummer for me, ya know..."not in Miss Mary's Time!" Oh well, times have changed, and the park must do what it has to do to earn a profit. Thanks again for the photos. I'll have to check out the shop in person next time I am at SDC.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »
your right again junior, if you dont look at the background you could be at the branson landing, or the tanger mall.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 10:14:48 PM »
Oh, I dunno. I rather like the breezy, colorful dresses and all the beachy stuff. Fits in fairly well next to a "float trip river." It's the kind of stuff I would buy if I were going on a float trip. Yes, granted, it doesn't fit the 1880s theme, but if they're going to go out of theme, I'm more likely to shop there than at the White River Mercantile.

And don't get me started on that. I went in there for what I think was the first time ever, and color me highly unimpressed. It fools you with all the great rag dolls out in front, then you go in and BAM. It's like you've transported to Branson Landing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:15:59 PM by tinaalsgirl »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »

If you notice they are really pushing the hand crafted products in the latest Past Times that is posted on line.  I think they are suffering in sales of merchandise.  Years ago everyone was carrying bags out with them and now not so much.   I don't care for the modern stuff but I do understand they have to make some money.  It would be my guess with the White River Mercantile and the new Duggan shop that a lots of women opt to sit out the Lost River......

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 07:46:23 AM »
Think about it...a theme park is really a shopping center/mall with some shows and rides. Interest in "historical" attractions in Branson started to wane in the mid-1980's. By the late 80's, early 90's, they started adding the rollercoaters, they then put in the Grand Exposition and later the Giant Swing. It's all in an effort to attract younger crowds and to keep the park busy. SDC opened at a time when Westerns were big on TV in the 1960s. In its early days, SDC had more of a western theme, but by the late 60s, the theme was tweaked to "ozark mountain village" and throughout the 60s through the mid to late 80s, there were arts and crafts shops all over the place. They sold alot of stuff too. I think at one time there were about 3 dozen arts and crafts shops. Times have changed, so they have loosened up on the theme (TV in the furniture shop) the arts and crafts have been cut back a great extent. (part of the ice cream parlor used to be an applehead doll shop...Dugan's used to be a duck decoy carving shop...Donnie Ellison has retired so you will  notice no basketweaving at the park this year, and so on.) However, the park is still very well done, and much of the flavor of the old days remains. Although you have seen my opinions on "Not in Miss Mary's Time" and in other threads about how change has occurred at the park, I still believe that anyone who takes their family to SDC will have a great day and will enjoy themselves. The merchandise in the shop has changed to a large extent, as has the type of entertainment offered, and the rides. Go to SDC and have a great day!  :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »
well put junior, and well explained. 

I also think that they have priced themselves out of the handmade market.. anything truly made on site seems expensive, the wood carvings, knives by johnson.  and when i am shopping i always check for the "made in  XXXXX".. Because if i am buying at the city, i prefer it to be made on site, BUT there is so little of it any more...  A real shame!  ""not in miss mary's day""

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
Because if i am buying at the city, i prefer it to be made on site, BUT there is so little of it any more...  A real shame!  ""not in miss mary's day""
Im with you on that note, they really dont make that much there anymore.
I wish they would make the entire candy kitchen viewable by the crowds, that would be fun.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 09:53:56 PM »
We would probably have to ask Beta Mike, but I think the majority of the Brown's Candy Factory cooking and prep area is actually in the basement. I've never been down there, but my old pal from college, Chip Homer, told me she worked in the basement all summer long in 1984...and they STILL made her wear those long dresses the women wear in the themed areas of the park! :D Chip and I both studied radio in college, and she helped me get my first paying broadcasting gig at a country music station in Dexter, MO. KDEX/KDEX-FM. Those were the days! ;)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 10:57:49 PM »
Well thats what I mean if they expanded on the ground floor and you could see them dipping the candy s and such I think that would be a great thing to watch.  Kinda Wonka like .

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 08:14:38 AM »
thats a great idea mhguy! seems like there is always people watching them upstairs making candies...

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 09:48:40 AM »
while I too was looking forward to more "diving bell"-esq****SP?**** items, the items arent too tacky and if I had to compromise, its a pretty good deal.....just a little disheartening****SP??*****
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!