Author Topic: "Dugan" name being brought back to SDC's Riverfront?  (Read 14813 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
"Dugan" name being brought back to SDC's Riverfront?
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
I just read a posting left by someone calling himself "Toby" on my Flickr site. "Toby" posted under the photo of the diving bell wharf concept art photo that he understands SDC will bring back the use of the name "Dugan" (As in Rube Dugan's Diving Bell fame) for a shop in the Riverfront area this coming 2011 season! Can anyone tell me about this? Zephon, Copper, or SteamFreak? What's up with that? I'm curious to find out if the info posted by "Toby" is correct, or if he is just guessing, speculating, whatever. Any info on this issue is appreciated! -JUNIOR
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: "Dugan" name being brought back to SDC's Riverfront?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:43:48 AM »
Digging just a little more to find out about the above posting, I've discovered "Toby" is none other than our very own Copper. So Copper, can you give us some additional details on this "Dugan" shop? Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
Digging just a little bit further by looking at the official SDC Website...could this "Dugan" shop be the Riverfront Traders shop that is mentioned under the "specialty shop" category? 

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
hot dog hot dog hot dog!!!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:22:59 PM »
Junior, I cantr believe that you think anyone would "guess, speculate or whatever.!!   LOL.   You know this is a factual forum, OR was the Fictional??..

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:20:25 AM »
Interesting...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »
Just curious if anyone has heard more about this issue?!?!? I think I will have to pay a visit to the Riverfront area this season just to see the good ole Dugan name again. (Oh, by the way...if you look REAL hard at the front of the Lost River building, you will see a reminder of the old diving bell days...there is a sign that is on the wall that says "Dugan Salvage Yard," and it is left over from my time on park. The sign is very faded now, but was still there as of my last visit in mid-August, 2010.)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »
^ I'll be sure to look for that on our next visit to LROTO. Love random memorabilia like that!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 05:38:26 PM »
I will be looking also,  what else down in that area still has the Dugan name?. i want pics.!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »
I think the side of the lost river building on the lakeside still has "white river warehouse" painted on it which is a leftover from the Dugan days, if I am remembering correctly. When they gutted the building in the winter of 1984 to build lost river, they did a pretty good job of removing most of the diving bell stuff. The rocks on the lakeside, the cave at water level, and rocks on the front of the building are leftovers. In the line for lost river you will see round wooden covers on what were children's crawling tunnels in the diving bell playground area, and at one point, the remants of the old diving bell wharf can be seen. Also, you walk through a little structure that looks like a mine shaft while standing in line, that's what is left of the diving bell exit tunnel. When you enter the building and are in the hallway area, that is the same hall used to go to diving bell capsules A and B. That tunnel has not changed at all over the years. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
Check out my Flickr site and you will see a photo of the new sign at a shop located along Lake Silver. The "Dugan Trading Company" should be open for business in a few weeks.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 08:14:39 AM »
So has the "Dugan Trading Company" opened yet on the Riverfront? Anyone notice it while walking along the lakefront this week?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »
On Sunday I was there, and it had not yet opened. I am assuming it opened yesterday with the beginning of the WorldFest, if not, I think a few do not open until Bluegrass & BBQ on May 12. My guess is that it is only a change in name, and nothing more. I like the idea of the name, I feel that they could have incorporated something into the sign to harken images from those who remember the ride. Maybe the costumes of the workers will be Junior style!!!!Maybe they will revamp the iterior of the shop to appear as if you are inside the bell! Sorry for getting your hopes up.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »
the way i red the "brochure".  all the stores open on the 7th.. Yestrday.  Maybe somebody that went cn verify tht for us. ;)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 07:00:35 PM »
I was on park today (April 9) for Worldfest. Looks like the shop will not open until May as mentioned in previous post.