Author Topic: Super Bowl 45!  (Read 9569 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl 45!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 09:04:07 AM »
OK, just viewed on Internet a few Super Bowl highlights since I had to work last night. National anthem...stunk! Darth Vader commercial for VW...funny!  Black Eyed Peas with Slash...just fine! Uh, gosh, by the way...who won the game! LOL  :D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
GO PACK! they seem to have dozed off in Qtr 3, but pulled it out in the end. National Anthem...she should have concentrated more on the lyrics, and less on her own "style" of how to sing it, Gotta be better than the Chicago fans who cheered/ yelled/ whistled through the whole thing at the last 2 Chicago hockey games I was at. Black Eyed Peas are a case for why they should stick with tried and true bands...I would bet money-albeit a small amount, it will be another classic rock or 80's 90s band next year (If it isn't Gaga, or Bieber).

Commercials made me laugh at a few spots. Obviously Frito Lay, Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola, ALL car companies and AB-InBev were the big spenders, and for as much money as they spent, they better darn well be good!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 12:05:55 PM »
National Anthem - I watching this on Youtube and was to the point that I couldn't stand it.  I almost stopped it before she even made the mistake.  I realize mistakes are easily made with things like this, and I'm sure it's embarrassing for her, so I'll not fault her for going back to a previous line - she did recover and keep going, and for that she gets some credit.  The mistake was having her sing it in the first place.  I thought the overall performance was awful.

Commercials - I understand they were more vulgar this year.  Is that true?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
GO! PACK GO!
 Way to go, Green Bay! I was biting my nails toward the end and was praying the Steelers wouldnt win it at the end like they did against the Cardinals. It's good to see Lombardi's trophy sit in it's rightful place again!

Black Eyed Peas - Blah :P  Nothing impressive. Kinda cool to see Slash coming up from outta nowhere though.

Commericals -  :-\  Nothing really impressive here either. The "Darth Vader" one was kinda cute and touching.

There is a rumor I have caught wind of where there seems to be a movement of trying to get Van Halen booked for SB 46. I'd LOVE that! But it's probably just rumor though.
Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »
It is just my thought that the choice of artists since the wardrobe malfunction in 2004 have all been "safe" and classic rock. Tried and true bands that appeal to the 30-somethings and up.
05' Paul McCartney
06'The Rolling Stones
07' Prince
08' Tom Petty
09' Bruce Springsteen
10' The Who
11' The Black Eyed Peas

I see it as a failure. I am sure it lost many viewers who tuned out because of the artist, and the lack-luster performance. I think that they will rethink and next year, go back to a classic group (such as VH) and mix in a few "pop" artists. Slowly mixing back to the practice of multiple artists on one bill. I would like to see if the BEP's have the same result in album sales as many other acts have (According to Nielsen SoundScan data, the halftime performers regularly experience significant spikes in weekly album sales and paid digital downloads due to the exposure.) I highly doubt it on this one!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 01:10:26 PM »
A little Ricky Skaggs would be great.  ;)

"Country rocks...but bluegrass rules!"
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »
In 94' it was the Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt, The Judds with the "Rockin' Country Sunday". I think thats it for country, unless you count Kid Rock (still not sure if his style is Southern rock, rap metal, hard rock, country, or hip hop)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »
I understand there was big negative viewer reaction for the commercial that country singer Faith Hill was in. The guy in the spot was wanting to send an email to a girl he liked, was nervous and typed in something about how he loved her "rack." It was a commercial for flower delivery, maybe FTD.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »
Teleflora and Faith HIll are together now. I think she has some sort of flower arrangement line that people can choose and send.

the commercial is in this story below if you missed it.
http://www.theboot.com/2011/02/07/faith-hill-teleflora-commercial/

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
The Black Eyed Peas were TERRIBLE.  The overuse of the pitch corrector seems to be the prominent thing nowadays for "artists" with limited talent.  You know, when Cher used it in "Believe" it was a cool effect, now it's used as a cover-up.  Bring back the classics!  Sir Paul was excellent, The Stones, Petty, The Who....man what a show they all put on.  Now it is all production with little talent.  The little "Tron" people were pretty cool, but it cannot overcome the people running around yelling "come on now"..."huh, huh, yo, yo".

Funny side note though, the kid who played Vader in the VW commercial admitted that he has NEVER SEEN STAR WARS!  Jeez we are all getting old.........

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 05:43:18 AM »
Call me a outcast, but i just watched the game itself.  :-X
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 07:39:57 AM »
well how do if you just watched the game, you did not miss much.. 

few of the commerciasl were funny,,but 1/2 time SUCKED,

They need to stick to "classic" performers, either quality country music, or good old rock and roll!  After all all what are they thinking? Do they think they are having a moonlight madness festival or something..  LOL!!

The NFL just needs to stay away from the NEW crap "music" that has come in the 10-15 years...  LOL!   

ok deep breaths...  I'm fine now.!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 08:51:15 AM »
Amen to you sanddunerider...the game was boring, the national anthem was terrible, and the half-time show was nothing more than a big waste of money...I'm sitting here stressing about having to cut 4-5 teachers due to the budget crunch we are facing in education and yet millions of dollars are being spent on "crap" like that...Why can't we book a country/western music star (I am a bit disappointed with Faith Hill and her commercial) for at least every other Super Bowl? During the national anthem and halftime show I couldn't help but think that this is why I stick to NASCAR...Come on February 12th, 17th, and 20th....
Colorado SDC Fan

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »
thanks josh..

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
My band played a private party in Dallas last Sunday. It was a lot of fun. Only got the cops called on us once :D