Author Topic: Pin Trading details  (Read 8969 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Pin Trading details
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:58:42 PM »
I was just wondering if someone could explain the whole pin trading thing to me. I know it is probably just how it sounds, but is there a lot of people that do it? Is it a huge club? How much are the pins?

Just needing a run down of it.  ;)
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Pin Trading details
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:37:37 PM »
How many years has the pin trading been going on at SDC? Is there anyone who has all the pins made available?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
I just found an article from someone who attended this years event and it sounded pretty cool. It seems you trade with SDC employees, but I wondered if pin traders trade amongst themselves. You know, kinda like baseball cards and sports cards. I also was wondering how much the pins go for. When I was at HH in '08 I blew right thru it because my wife and I wanted to get in the park.
Andymeets1880s

pintrader

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:06:46 AM »
The actual first pin that was sold at SDC and listed on their site was in 1998.  Pin trading at the city began in 2001 with the release of 4 pins that year and has grown to 400+ pins released to date.  The pin prices for newly released pins in 2010 ranged from $5.00 to $10.00.  The older out of circulation pins would have to be traded for or purchased thru other means.  There are special employee pins that can only be obtained by trading with an employee.   At last year's pin trading event which was held at the Culinary & Craft School there were close to 200 people.  The pin trading event is put on by SDC annually to honor it's pin traders.  The pins are collectibles just like sports cards, pez dispensers, etc.  I myself don't know of anyone that has a full collection.  I have met a few that like less than 20 to complete their collection, even a couple that like less than 5.  The one thing that makes this hobby so special to me is the connection with SDC.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:17 AM »
Thanks for the info. I know there are float trip and diving bell pins out there. I've see photos of them. Wally Welch Vineyard pin, too. I didn't know if this was a fad for a year or two, but seeing as  how this is it's tenth year, it must still be going strong!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
is there a "guide" or book that shows all the pins?   has to be someway to monitor the pins your missing

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 09:36:27 AM »
Yeah, a little SDC produced booklet with photos of the pins and details would be nice...a think I have seen something on the SDC website like this, but having something to hold in your hands would be nice.

pintrader

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »
If you go to SDC website, click specialty shops, go to pin city pin trading in blue lettering you will be able to see the pins produced over the years.  By the way Junior the Diving Bell Pin is one of the most desired pins to be collected. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »
ok, thanks..  i will check that out

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »
Hey, Pintrader... Does your trading turn into bargaining and negotiating?? Do you haggle like "I'll give you a FITH and a Memorial Day pin for a Diving Bell?"

Andymeets1880s

pintrader

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:52 AM »
Yeah Andy!  That's pretty much how it goes.  I have even heard people offer cash + pins when making a deal for a pin they want.

pintrader

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
At 3:00 of every business day at SDC they bring a pin board out located in the HH where the pins are sold.  Each person can trade 2 of their pins for 2 pins that are on the board.  This offers traders a chance to build their collection with older pins that are no longer sold in the HH.  The board probably has around 60 pins.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »
thats a great idea, that also shows that SDC is interexting in keeping this "hobby" going.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 06:44:31 PM »
I've got that Diving Bell pin...

I was so distraught the other day when I discovered that somehow the bubble on my "Own A Piece" pin had broke!!!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 07:39:16 PM »
Bonnie (Retired schoolmarm, previously Ma Hatfield) told me a few years ago at the schoolhouse that Terry Sanders even had to "jump through hoops" to find a diving bell pin, which was especially important to him to have because that is where he started his career at SDC in 1980. Oh by the way, the first few days on the job I helped to train Terry!