Author Topic: Rube Dugin's Diving Bell  (Read 18814 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Rube Dugin's Diving Bell
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 07:36:31 PM »
OOh man Copper, if you could get a picture of some of that that'd be so awesome!!

I keep wanting to type Cooper for some reason whenever I type your name. l-o-l.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 07:53:19 PM »
That's odd, how long has that sunken mine been there? I've never seen it in any of the old photos.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 07:54:57 PM »
I think I might've seen the mine but I'm not sure. I really want to see some pictures of the old track though. So if SDCFan or Copper could get them that would be great.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 04:19:51 PM »
yeah i will and i knew about that but never knew if it was true or not but i'm going down there pretty soon so I will take alot of pics for you guys.
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 07:57:46 PM »
Well has anyone found the coveted track piece or mine yet?? If not, I'm going to do some searching this weekend.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 09:44:30 PM »
i would but i don't have the time to with school and work combined
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 05:42:28 PM »
I have searched and searched for it and I am not able to find the track piece. I will check again when lake silver is drained some for the Christmas season.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:07 PM »
The contraption where you shoot targets was also a part of a paddle-your-own-canoe-type ride where riders ended up getting drenched when they rounded the corner and rowed past the stuff.  I believe this was the replacement for the Diving Bell before the Lost River was installed.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 10:56:32 PM »
^Whoah, so there was another attraction there? Can you tell us more about what it was like, and how long it was there?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 03:41:30 PM »
I want to say it was the Greedy Brothers who helped you row the boats.  It was a little dock somewhere between the Lost River and Fiddlesticks, and you just rowed around the lake and around that stuff in the middle.  Water shot out of that thing and it soaked the whole boat.  It was the wettest ride of all until the Waterboggen was built.  I forget what the premise of the ride was, but it seems like the Greedy Brothers were the villains of that area.

The Diving Bell was still one of the best attractions in park history (I love the rides that tell stories.).  I was too young to appreciate it when it was there, but I remember the floors flooding with water and thinking that we really were under the water.

Does anyone else think the last room of the Lost River has never been completed?  All along the lines there have been signs about Ponce de Leon searching for the Fountain of Youth, and I always expected some kind of fountain at the end, maybe with some characters around it in some humorous scene.

There's no mention of it here that I've seen, but the collapse of the bridgeway to the Lost River a few years back is a part of SDC history, too.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 05:39:35 PM »
The Lost River of the Ozarks gets its name from the stream of water that flows through Marvel Cave. Legend says that the Spanish explorers traveled through the Ozarks in search of treasures and the fountain of youth. A man went as far as pulling a gun on a tour guide in the early 1900s because he believed all the stories of the hidden treasures. The passage that this incident occurred in was the Lost River Trail also known as Lost River Canyon.

Yes, I agree that the Lost River’s story line could be worked on. It would be easy to add some theme elements. There is obviously enough information for them to do this with.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 06:55:32 PM »
There's no mention of it here that I've seen, but the collapse of the bridgeway to the Lost River a few years back is a part of SDC history, too.

Good grief, I have a lot to catch up on. What were the details of the bridge collapse? I don't remember that happening, and I've been watching the park for awhile.

This is some great info, I'll have to add it to the site history pages.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
I remember I'd been there only a week before it happened. I know one woman broke her arm or something... Can't remember many other details about it.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 09:38:30 PM »

Good grief, I have a lot to catch up on. What were the details of the bridge collapse? I don't remember that happening, and I've been watching the park for awhile.

This is some great info, I'll have to add it to the site history pages.

I was at the park a few months before it happened. I heard about it on our local news. Maybe since you live in Oklahoma you didn't hear about it Steve??

I think a woman broke her arm (like Joy said), a few were sent to the hospital, and maybe one or two were killed, but don't quote me on that. It was a sad deal. But SDC managed to get the bridge back up and make it seem like nothing happened.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 10:52:27 AM »
Here's an article about it:

http://www.morningsun.net/stories/071702/reg_0717020029.shtml

No one died. The worst injury was a woman who had broken bones in her legs and ankles, which she ended up having to have surgery for.

And an article about the ride re-opening:

http://www.themeparksonline.org/tponews.asp?ID=1943

~ "Becky" Joy ~