Author Topic: Old Shows Remembered SDC Entertainment  (Read 28052 times)

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
Re: Old Shows Remembered SDC Entertainment
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »
A quick Shad Heller Story. There used to be a lot of unschedualed bits around town we all just called atmosphering. When not on stage we were the townsfolk and were expected to entertain as such. He set me up for this gag when he would pass by my show.

Shad: I don't want to interupt, but I could use your help.
Me: Ladys and gentelmen Shad Heller our Mayor. Certenly Mr. Mayor what can I do for you?
Shad: My mule fell down the well and I can't get her out alone.
Me: Oh my Gosh! I'll be right there!
Shad: Take your time. Shes been down there for three days now.
ME: Three Days?
Shad: Yah. She's just swoll up so bad now I can't get the bucket around her.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »
This is the "atmosphere" the park had in the days of my youth.  I remember those little conversations that would occur.  They added to the experience of being in the 19th Century Ozarks.  Those hill people of SDC really romanticized the history.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2008, 12:10:21 PM »
Those spontaneous street scenes were a lot of fun. It made it feel like the staff really were "citizens", not just employees in costumes.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »
Old Guy, do you have any information about Mercy Purvis the Third-and-a-Half?  I believe he might have been the best comedian who ever graced a Branson stage.  And when he took to the zip line from the waterwheel in Echo Hollow...totally unexpected.  This was during the Dillards and the Branson Brothers era) still the best evening shows they've ever offered.

I guess I'm becoming and old guy, too.

that was Jack McDowell. The funnyest man I ever knew. Used to be the SDC deputy, moved to Echo Hollow with the Dillards, Comedian for the short lived Calton Family theater at Notch MO, parked cars at the Very short lived Blue Eye Ren fair Camalot, and last time I saw him was at the mall in Springfield. At that time he was an Agent for a troup of Chinese acrobats. Id love to know where he is now.

That brings back the memories.  That was the only Echo Hollow show that I watched more than once, and it was because of Mercy Purvis.  He was hilarious.  I can still see my mom and dad laughing their tales off when he rode down that cable!

How in the world did someone as funny as him end up parking cars later?  He is probably much older now, but Silver Dollar City should track him down.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2008, 07:21:17 PM »
Some kind of a reunion with a show for fans really needs to be in the works for the 50th - even if you guys just just sit on the stage at Echo Hollow and reminisce.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 08:28:01 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Baldknobber

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »
Here are some cast tintypes from some of the shows to which you all are referring.

The original cast of the Choctaw Charlie & Tillie Show in the Saloon, sometime around '82 or '83 I think.

The original cast of the Timothy Turnbuckle Show in the Playhouse, in the late 80's.

The original cast of the Hoedown Show in the Playhouse, late 80's-early 90's.

The original cast of the Musical Feud Show in the Playhouse, early 80's.

The cast from a Carry Nation Show in the Saloon, late 70's.

Another Carry Nation Saloon Show cast from the late 70's or early 80's.

I vividly remember the blond hair guy that is in the top photo and also in the bottom 2. There are a few others I remember from when I visited (as I used to go all the time back then) but he just really stood out as, if I remember correctly, at the Saloon show, he would be selling the garters to the ladies. He really seemed to be a ladies man.

I don't know if they still do this or not, but I also remember buying the garters off of the saloon girls back then and actually sliding it off of their legs. VaVaVaVoom!!!!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »
The person you are referring to is Tony McCarty, and he was indeed a "fixture" outside the saloon for many years and one of my best friends.  We used go fishing together quite a bit, or water skiing, and once we took a seven day trip up to Wyoming and Colorado for some fishing and sightseeing.   Tragically, he was killed in a car accident a number of years ago.  We were at the Saloon, preparing for the day's work when someone from management came down and delivered the news to us.  Probably my worst day ever at Silver Dollar City.  We canceled the first couple of shows and then, as he would have wanted us to, continued on with the day.  I still miss him.

The Saloon girls are no longer in the practice of selling garters off of their legs, although garters are still available.  It just got to be too dangerous for them, if you know what I mean.   
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2008, 09:17:04 PM »
That is so sad to hear Zephon.  I remember Tony as well.  He did a great job getting everyone in the mood for the show.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2008, 09:35:19 AM »
During the late 70'S there was a year of animal act at the park (the log rolling dog, Old blue the pig, the never seen "flying chickens" ). There was even a bear cub on a leash and muzzle tat was led about so guests could interact with it. This was only for one season tell it grew to big. One day it took a playfull nip at it's handler Milo, and while only a minor bite, first aid made him go to the clinic which was at that time in Kimberling City. No big deal until the rumor got out that someone was bitten by a bear at SDC!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:36:12 AM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

sdcforever

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2008, 11:07:29 AM »
^Those animal shows sound entertaining!  Too bad I never got to see them.  The news of someone being bitten by a bear at SDC couldn't have been good for PR at the time.  People are looking for excitement when they visit a theme park, but probably not that much excitement! :D

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008, 11:50:56 PM »
Some kind of a reunion with a show for fans really needs to be in the works for the 50th - even if you guys just just sit on the stage at Echo Hollow and reminisce.
I talked with DA Calloway the other day and asked him if there was any kind of 50th anniversary show in the works, and he said no, not to his knowledge.  And that's really a shame, IMO.  It seems like Entertainment management either has no concept of the history of the park, or else they just don't care.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »
One of my favorite times at the saloon was when Miss Tilley let out one of her giggles, a baby in the floor seats did a perfect imitations of her,  this broke everyone up.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

sdcforever

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 07:09:23 PM »
I talked with DA Calloway the other day and asked him if there was any kind of 50th anniversary show in the works, and he said no, not to his knowledge.  And that's really a shame, IMO.  It seems like Entertainment management either has no concept of the history of the park, or else they just don't care.

It's still early though.  The 50th anniversary isn't until the season after next.  They might be in the early, early planning stages right now if there is a show.  I'm keeping my hopes up! ;D

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 10:15:41 PM »
Doing some rearranging in the house.  I found old video tapes of the Timothy Turnbuckle show, an old Saloon show, and the Hoedown at the Gaslight Theater.  WOW....memories.

sdcforever

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 11:47:18 PM »
^Wow...you unearthed some treasures. :)