Author Topic: 1975 Brochure  (Read 13236 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: 1975 Brochure
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »
No other attraction questions, but I do have question about the brochure:

Were they charging per ride in '75? If not, what is the difference between the complete passport (which sounds like a season pass to me) and gate admission? Why was gate admission only sold after 4 in the summer?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »
i read that and wondered the same thing..

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »
Certain rides:
Flooded Mine
Train
Float Trip
I know for sure used tickets for riding that were an addition to the entrance fee. For example, the train was $0.50 each to ride. I have 6 or 7 old train tickets, and one each of the FM and FT tickets. I am unsure of the others if they also involved tickets (More than likely they did I just have no tickets to them in my collection).

The Passports would have attracted people at lighter attendance times. Summer months involved high numbers of visitors, and I am assuming they would make more $$ if they did not sell Passports-forcing each person to pay to ride.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 08:51:40 PM »

The Passports would have attracted people at lighter attendance times. Summer months involved high numbers of visitors, and I am assuming they would make more $$ if they did not sell Passports-forcing each person to pay to ride.

They're doing just the opposite, though. The passport is sold all day, whereas gate only is not sold until 4 pm.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »
When did they start offering season passes, BTW?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »
I see, I read it wrong. It is still about $$. This way during the busy months they can avoid having families/ kids backing up lines paying at each attraction by only allowing the "Passports". Gate price would be a great option for those nowadays that just want to shop, and not ride!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 09:40:47 PM »
Yes it would, but I think it would almost have to be either a passport pass or gate pass, no pay per ride. Could you imagine the line at Powder Keg as the teenagers are digging for their last 3 or 4 bucks?  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 09:58:16 PM »
Looking through items, I have found cave tickets...also a paid attraction in addition to the admission to the park.

It has been brought up, but it has been a few years...If the gate pass sounded tempting
According to Swoosh:
SDC has a shopper's pass: You pay as depoist (full admission) at the Guest Relations and then get a receipt stating the time you were issued the pass.  You then enter the park and have 1 hour to shop.  If you do not return in the allotted time you do not get your deposit back as they assume that you decided to spend the rest of the day at the park.  IF it is taking longer, you can have the store clerk call and let GR know.
-But who could only spend an hour in SDC!
According to Betamike WaltDisneyWorld still has a system like this and it allows 2 hours.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 10:32:28 AM »
A few years ago, we bought 2-day tickets, we went Friday and Saturday, but wanted to go back Sunday to attend services at the Wilderness Church.  My mother called and asked what our options would be.  In the end they gave us free passes with a time-limit (maybe 2 or 3 hours).  We had to go to guest services to pick them up, but they didn't require us to put any money down.  It was all on the honor system.  And it was very much appreciated.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 11:00:33 AM »
Gosh, i remember those days of "tickets to the attractions." 1975 i would have been 10 yrs old. At the time it taught me how & where to manage my $$$$ at the park. Ofcourse after lunch my brother & i had to get more coin from ol' ma & pa.
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »
i can see where some people would use a "shoppers" pass, BUT really  once u get in, if your a newbie, how could u leave so soon??

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
It would be worth it...if it didn't take 45 minutes to park and another half-hour to get back out to your car.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »
Alright I have a photo of one of my passports here. I am pretty sure as to why the holes were punched...I believe this could be an earlier passport with a limited amount of rides.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
I cannot read the date on the ticket above, but it is one of those tickets that was punched for each attraction you went into. If it predates the treehouse and float trip which came in about '68, then the only other extra attractions where the punch would have been needed would have been the train, stagecoach, Grandfather's Mansion, and maybe Flooded Mine...I can't remember when FM had it's first year, but it would have been just before float trip and treehouse, I think. Nice find!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »
NICE!!   ;D