Author Topic: Frontier City Developments  (Read 175124 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Frontier City Developments
« Reply #330 on: August 26, 2019, 08:56:26 PM »
Driving this morning and on the radio Frontier City advertisement came on for the start of the 2020 Season Pass Flash Sale.  In that advertisement clear as day White Water Bay getting a name change for 2020.  WWB name is getting changed to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Oklahoma City.  So this tells me the major capitol money is going to White Water Bay for 2020.

So when is the pass sale supposed to start?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #331 on: August 26, 2019, 10:25:49 PM »
Presale is already happening, but they’ll go on sale to the general public Thursday morning after the announcements
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 28, 2019, 06:54:59 PM »
I am trying to decide between a season pass and a membership.  It looks like if you do the lump sum season pass and add dining it is overall cheaper. But, if I understand it correctly, if you do a membership you are paying throughout the entire year but you lock in the price, so if price goes up price is the same.  Their site currently says flash sale going on now.  Will there be cheaper prices tomorrow?

Kemotblue

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 29, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »
In 1981 Herschend Family Entertainment expanded outside Branson MO for the first time. They built a large water park in the Oklahoma City Metro area called White Water Bay. That name stayed when Six Flags bought the park in the 90's.  It continued to stay White Water Bay as the park saw numerous owners up and till today. Any ties that park had from the Herschend's era is now gone.   Six Flags now manages the park again and this morning announced the park is being re-branded with a new name. Six Flags Hurricane Harbor  Oklahoma City.   A new slide complex will be added to the park with park wide upgrades and additions for the 2020 season.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #334 on: August 29, 2019, 09:52:37 AM »
In 1981 Herschend Family Entertainment expanded outside Branson MO for the first time. They built a large water park in the Oklahoma City Metro area called White Water Bay. That name stayed when Six Flags bought the park in the 90's.  It continued to stay White Water Bay as the park saw numerous owners up and till today. Any ties that park had from the Herschend's era is now gone.   Six Flags now manages the park again and this morning announced the park is being re-branded with a new name. Six Flags Hurricane Harbor  Oklahoma City.   A new slide complex will be added to the park with park wide upgrades and additions for the 2020 season.

Actually the "Bay" part of the name was added when HFE sold it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #335 on: August 30, 2019, 08:32:35 AM »
It's great that WWB is getting some attention and investment. Hopefully it's more than just this new slide a few sign changes. Just like FC, WWB has been ignored for far too long and is way below it's potential.

I am disappointed that FC gets nothing once again though. A cheap flat would have gone a long way here. I see no reason why they should continue with the on/off years when the new Timber Town shows how much impact new rides have on attendance. The last major, non-upcharge new ride that wasn't a direct replacement was back in 2008, and arguably that was also a replacement for two rides. I don't know how far back you have to go to find the last major addition that didn't replace anything.

I don't want to get all whiny park fanboy here, but at some point it just defies basic business sense. Unless of course, the plan is to simply keep FC on life support and direct traffic down to Dallas as many have suspected.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 30, 2019, 10:29:29 AM »
I'm hopeful that what we'll see this next year is continued infrastructure improvements to the park. They could have thrown a bone in the announcement that just said "At Frontier City in 2020 we'll be focusing on a better customer experience with more food choices, amenities, and ride time" - which would have brought me more excitement that just silence.

But if you look at what the "Big" Six Flags parks received - only two received what I would have described as "Six Flags" type rides. SFOT and SFGAdv. The others pretty much received very small additions or additions to their water parks.

Maybe SF sees "Oklahoma City" as one park location even though they are on two different sides of the City. If next year comes and we see no physical improvements in Frontier City - I'd then start to panic. But I think you'll see the ride improvements jump between these two parks each year.

Jay

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 30, 2019, 07:05:13 PM »
It's great that WWB is getting some attention and investment. Hopefully it's more than just this new slide a few sign changes. Just like FC, WWB has been ignored for far too long and is way below it's potential.

I am disappointed that FC gets nothing once again though. A cheap flat would have gone a long way here. I see no reason why they should continue with the on/off years when the new Timber Town shows how much impact new rides have on attendance. The last major, non-upcharge new ride that wasn't a direct replacement was back in 2008, and arguably that was also a replacement for two rides. I don't know how far back you have to go to find the last major addition that didn't replace anything.

I don't want to get all whiny park fanboy here, but at some point it just defies basic business sense. Unless of course, the plan is to simply keep FC on life support and direct traffic down to Dallas as many have suspected.

I would base my expectations on what will happen at FC along the lines of what SF does at the Great Escape.  Very similar sized parks and markets.  If you read the rumor boards, the park is planning to do upgrades to the concert area.  There was also some officials checking out the old Nightmare building.   I’d say long term plans are being constructed but the infrastructure needs major work to get it to a place where large capex additions can be made and the park would be able to handle the extra foot traffic. 
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #338 on: September 01, 2019, 05:17:34 PM »

I am disappointed that FC gets nothing once again though. A cheap flat would have gone a long way here.

Outside of a couple of exceptions, most of the Six Flags additions this year and very unimpressive.  St. Louis is essentially getting an larger version of an upcharage attraction, and they haven't had anything new of note in a long time.  There are a few parks that really aren't getting anything.  So FC isn't alone in that.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Kemotblue

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 03, 2019, 01:22:43 PM »
I had the opportunity to speak with a manager this past weekend.  Tumbleweed is being removed this off season. There is plans for that area next season.  It may or may not involve a ride. He cannot say at this time.  Tumblweed had some major issues earlier this season that caused the ride extensive damages.   The cost to repair Tumbleweed is very expensive. There is a possibility that a attraction will replace Tumbleweed.  Those plans sound like a 50/50 chance we may see an announcement soon if that is true. The park set up a Fright Fest Funeral Viewing of the rides sign. Pretty clever photo I'll share with you in the attachments. 

I know a lot of fan boys were disappointed with the news about the park not getting anything in 2020.  I learned that the park itself has been and will continue to have major money spent on park infrastructure.   I was told that fan boys will be very happy in an upcoming season. Not 2020 but beyond 2020.   I don't know if that hint is in fact a hint too a coaster? What would fan boys want the most for their park? 

White Water Bay was already scheduled to get the major capital expense. Which it will get that attention besides a very expensive slide complex a new name and park wide upgrades according to the press release.  It's a significant amount of money that will be put into White Water Bay.  Frontier City will also be getting a number of infrastructure upgrades that will go unnoticed like it did the past season.  Guest's will notice next year those changes but they are not changes noteworthy of being put in a attraction announcement video.

Frontier City was inline to get something but the park declined to wait till 2021 it wants to get the park set up for a larger capitol project.  The park was impressed on how much Six Flags and EPR spent with the complete overhaul of Timbertown, the upgraded Kitchens, Ride upgrades and other park enhancements they were actually impressed and it has paid off the two parks here have seen a significant growth in attendance this past season.

Fright Fest will be a lot larger of an event the details will be out soon,  They are bringing back fan favorites.  Holiday in the Park this year according to the newsletter has a larger budget and being expanded one of the newest attractions for HITP is Ice Skating. 

I feel good after talking with manager on how Six Flags will be handling this park this time around then it did the last time it was under the Six Flags umbrella. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:30:27 PM by Kemotblue »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #340 on: September 03, 2019, 05:43:20 PM »
Even a cloned or relocated B&M would do wonders for this park. Question is will it come at the expense of Silver Bullet.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 03, 2019, 07:20:48 PM »
Even a cloned or relocated B&M would do wonders for this park. Question is will it come at the expense of Silver Bullet.

This park doesn’t need a B&M sized coaster, it doesn’t have enough draw for that size of capacity.  Now a clone of Iron Shark like what Darien Lake did would be an excellent fit
SWOOSH

Kemotblue

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 03, 2019, 11:04:49 PM »
I wouldn't take Silver Bullet away.  They have a big area back part of the Amphitheater where one of the picnic pavilions and large grassy area is that used to house a small playground that location is large enough for a Darien lake Tantrum type of coaster.   They also can take out that Nightmare building and place  a coaster in that area.  I think a balance of coasters 3 on the south end of the park. (Wildcat, Silver Bullet, and Steel Lasso)  Then add one on the North end will place 3 coasters on the opposite end of the park.  (Diamond Back, Frankie's Mine Train, and future coaster)  That's my prediction.  I feel a small family flat ride might be replacing Tumbleweed.  It will be a relocated ride from another park is my speculation.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #343 on: September 04, 2019, 04:11:11 PM »
This park doesn’t need a B&M sized coaster, it doesn’t have enough draw for that size of capacity.  Now a clone of Iron Shark like what Darien Lake did would be an excellent fit

True. I was just thinking like something along the size of one of the smaller standup B&M's like Vortex or the former Apocalypse coaster that was converted to a sitdown floorless. I doubt they would invest in anything extravagant.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 12:07:31 AM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2020, 03:08:27 PM »
Kemot was saying on another forum that FC has cleaned out the boneyard and is preparing for a major expansion in the coming years. I hope this turns out to be true. Really anything at this point would be more than welcome.

Sounds like the park was fairly busy over the past year, and the Christmas event was a hit. SF should have realized the potential of the park by now, and the undeserved market. With WWB/Hurricane Harbor getting done this year, FC is once again primed for something big.