Author Topic: Frontier City Developments  (Read 175181 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Frontier City Developments
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2018, 05:20:15 PM »
Sounds like Silver Bullet is getting a new train or at least some new parts off the old Greezed' Lightning train. Too bad that coaster is basically confirmed toast now. I really though SB's days were numbered after getting stuck two or three times in one summer and making national news. Granted, it wasn't a big deal, but the PR was nasty. Maybe this will at least fix the issue that was making it get stuck.

What was the European park that refurb'd and enclosed a shuttle loop?

Ah, here it is. Well done
https://youtu.be/eJC1SAY9psE
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:25:51 PM by chittlins »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »

That's different. 

I was thinking it was a classic Schwartzkopf until it actually started the launch and crawled forward...
Same exact idea except built by Gerstlauer.  If you look at the photos on RCDB before they enclosed it, it looks almost like they copied Anton's old coaster design nearly exactly, but put in a different launch system.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2018, 10:16:33 AM »

That's different. 

I was thinking it was a classic Schwartzkopf until it actually started the launch and crawled forward...
Same exact idea except built by Gerstlauer.  If you look at the photos on RCDB before they enclosed it, it looks almost like they copied Anton's old coaster design nearly exactly, but put in a different launch system.

I had thought they modified an original but I don't really know.

That brings me to something off topic. I wish some city with an empty dome stadium would work out a best of Europe Fun Fair event in Jan and Feb, where they would bring in something like Olympia Looping for a limited engagement.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2018, 10:45:30 AM »

That's different. 

I had thought they modified an original but I don't really know.

That brings me to something off topic. I wish some city with an empty dome stadium would work out a best of Europe Fun Fair event in Jan and Feb, where they would bring in something like Olympia Looping for a limited engagement.

So like the TWA/Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis?
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2018, 01:39:32 PM »

Would be a good location. So would San Antonio. 

About four of what's considered the top 10 portable european coaster, one in each endzone and one along the 50 on each side. Maybe just three with a top Euro dark ride, fun house. Fill the rest up with flats not found state side. Have it about every other year. Get Olympia Looping here every 6 yearsm

I wonder when we''ll see our first launched portables on the fair circuit overy there.

Shame Euro Star is rotting in Russia.

Kemotblue

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2018, 10:34:52 AM »
I'm going to Central Plains Coaster Clubs  "Frozen Frontier" at Frontier City next Saturday February 3rd.  I will find out more information on the coaster and other plans the park has for it's 60th season. 

Kemotblue

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2018, 09:02:38 PM »
I went to Central Plains Coaster Clubs Frozen Frontier at the park.  After the visit I was walked away excited to find out all the changes this year.  Pretty much infrastructure work through-out the park. Much needed work. I can't go into detail because out of respect of the parks request is that they did want this shared on public media outlets.  I know they are not adding a major ride for their 60th.  There major addition which has been shared by the park is "A Frontier Christmas"  I have a very strong feeling that it will be one of the most popular Holiday events in OKC.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2018, 10:00:45 PM »
By now they must have rebuilt the entire park with all the years of infrastructure work. I assume they need a lot of extra electrical support for the holiday lights though.

Disappointing that they aren't going to sneak a ride in for this year as well, but I had assumed as much anyway. I'm hoping next season brings something good at last.

The Christmas festival is a great and overdue move. As most other parks have discovered, a few good Christmas weekends can turn a bad season around and add incredible earning potential to the property. It also boosts season pass sales significantly because everyone can easily imagine coming back for Christmas.

The move to a longer season also should put more pressure on them to keep expanding and increasing the quality of their rides. FC has had the same signature rides for decades now, and they just don't cut it. FC's coaster collection is decent, but there's just something lacking to the park in the rides department that is keeping me away from the park. Wildcat and Silver Bullet are nice, but kinda meh... Wildcat bothers me to no end with how messed up the return run is.

Kemotblue

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2018, 10:59:04 AM »
Yes Wildcat had that rough ending before the double down the one thing that ruins that double down is that stinking break run they add on that last hill before the station.  It's a rough stop.  I have to shout Break check.  I have saved numerous riders from getting the wind knocked out of them when they hit that break run. I always ride in the back.  I know the hill before the turn around I  discovered if you lift your feet you get 4 seconds of floater air time before you are bounced back into your seat.  I always sit on the left side too absorb the bouncy turn around.

One thing I liked about Frozen Frontier I learned that they been cleaning around and out the storage areas in and near Wildcats in field.  They discovered the original sign Wildcat sign from Fairyland Kansas.  They didn't know yet what do to do with the sign.  I suggested they do what they did with the Wildcat Station with the history of Wooden Coaster.  Use the East wall of station Encase the sign just clean it up and add history information boards about the coaster. They liked the idea but one of the managers think the sign is in to much disrepair that it wouldn't look good for the park.  I think it would work  I stand inline and those information boards get a lot of attention from all age groups.  I attached a photo of the sign. 

Alot of needed paint and different things done around the park this season will give a image to park guests I have a feeling will in return make a big impact. I would share the information but I don't want too jeopardize future events for any group.  They made clear what we could share and not share on social media platforms.     

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2018, 06:33:59 PM »
This park would do well with a clone of Monster at Adventureland. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »
This park would do well with a clone of Monster at Adventureland.

There's a whole host of new compact steel coasters they could do well with. Get a Premier Sky Rocket. Plus all those new Vekoma designs haven't made it to the US yet. Chance hasn't sold many of those coasters they installed at Kentucky Kingdom, wonder why?

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2018, 03:06:18 AM »
Sounds like Silver Bullet is getting a new train or at least some new parts off the old Greezed' Lightning train. Too bad that coaster is basically confirmed toast now. I really though SB's days were numbered after getting stuck two or three times in one summer and making national news. Granted, it wasn't a big deal, but the PR was nasty. Maybe this will at least fix the issue that was making it get stuck.

Driving by the park yesterday, I noticed the SB train had made its way back onto the track. The train looks the same as before, so maybe they are still refurbishing the Greezed' Lightning train, or as you said, using parts from that train on the SB train.

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2018, 06:10:40 PM »
It sounds like they are getting one of the zip line contraptions that one of Stan Checkett's companies makes. Similar to the one at Kemah. It is listed on the new maps as an upcharge.

Wasn't expecting anything, so its kinda neat. Not thrilled about upcharge attractions, but if it makes them some extra dough to go towards something really worthwhile, that's a good thing.

Kemotblue

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2018, 11:56:41 PM »
I haven't updated on here since the park opened up for the season.  Since I frequent the park.  They have made some great improvements to the park.  More with landscaping and theme-ing and upgrades to the buildings and rides.  Prarie Schooner the ship part had a detail Paint job.  The artist did a great job.  Also Winged Warrior now fits the parks theme not some random tropical parrots.  The food options have changed through out the park. Stuff has moved around.   They have a new Beer Stand in Fort Frontier, Also a brand new French Fry Stand.  The shows they have added more shows.   New this year replacing the kid shows they have is a country and Western Show.  Very fitting for the park.  The Two John saloon has two shows instead of 4 different shows.   A smaller Magic Show and PT Barnums Flea Circus  Both are highly entertaining The performer they have is one heck of a performer never breaks character even when walking around the park.  The characters in the show if they are out and about walking the pathways in their costume like the Gunfighters they remain in character. It adds charm to the experience.   This season the park added a exclusive show to celebrate Frontier City's 60th anniversary.  The show is very original its  called "Celebration: A Musical Review" s Music through the decades of the parks Existence.  It covers Pop Culture of each decade starting with the late 50th through today.  A Frontier City gunfighter does the narration between the decades talking about the park.  There is a nostalgic video at one point that reflects on the parks past that transition you to how the park is today.  There is also a Frontier City song that begins the show, has a bit in the middle and closes out with the Frontier City song.  The new Soaring Eagle Zip Line attraction has started to rise up from the ground. I like the location where it will zip over main street.  The loading platform will be elevated there  will be a ramp to lead up to the platform.  Also the park has 60th anniversary merchandise in the main gift store.  The smaller Gift shop has old mugs on sale from the park 50th anniversary.   So for me  that mug was a nice souvenir to purchase.  The park has done some great improvements and I can't wait for the future. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »
It's awesome that they are still pushing more and more improvements. I need to head out there soon and take it in again. I appreciate park management that pushes for quality.

They need a big new ride soon though... all these little improvements all over the place are nice, but it feels like they've been working toward something big that is taking forever to show up. I know the Christmas event is a big deal, but it's not exactly as exciting as a new ride.

I'm curious if we will see an Iron Shark clone like DL is getting. I would much prefer something a little bigger or more unique, but since FC is small, Premier is cheap, and they don't have a lot of land to work with, it would be very fitting for them.